Anniversary Cobra - What to do next?

jobo1190

Established Member
Hello Everyone,

After the snow melts, I am planning to buy my buddy's 2003 Black on Red/Black Anniversary Cobra :pepper: The Cobra is a convertible.

He provided the current mod list for the car (Please see below) and let me know that there are only 18,000 miles on the car. He has had the car since 2005 and is the second owner. When he bought it, it was bone stock. He was telling me that the car last Dyno'd at 497 HP with the current Mods listed below.

CDC light bar.
Stage III Stegmier port job on the blower.
Changed pulleys on the on the blower and the lower Crank. 2lb pulley on the lower. Also idler pulleys were changed. (Car runs about 15lbs of boost on the blower with this combo.)
IRS Brace
MAFIA air sensor
Accufab single blade throttle body
Cold air intake
Borla Stinger cat back exhaust
Short Throw Shifter
Nitto Drag slicks out back
Tune done by Bob Kurgan Racing
Diablo Tuner

What I have been trying to map out is a plan to produce more power. I talked to him briefly on it, and he provided some general feedback on what it would take to get to ~700 HP (Listed Below). While I think this is a good start, I wanted to run it by the experts (all of you). My goal is to buy parts that I can build upon (dont go too far down one path that I will have to back out and go down another). I'm sure a HP goal would help. I would say I would like to get 700-800 out of the car. What would you do?

Boost A Pump
High Volume Fuel Pumps
Larger Injectors
Larger Heat exchanger
Twin Screw Supercharger/ turbo
Higher Spline input shaft -Transmission
Stronger Half Shaft axles

Any feedback would be extremely appreciated!

Zemedici

Established Member
Going to need a BIG BLOWER or e85 to make 700, I wouldn't worry about a BAP at that point, just run 2 big pumps

weaselp1

Established Member
My first mod would be FTBR IRS bushings and everything FTBR has to offer suspension wise. No point in throwing down 700 whp if you have wheel hop. Just my 2 cents :)

edit...assuming the stock IRS is currently in the cobra

jobo1190

Established Member
Thanks very much for the feedback! Let's just go with the more conservative 700 HP goal :)

@ Zemedici
Would it be better to go with a TT or Compound boost setup to achieve those numbers? I have been looking at those Hellion Kits...

@ weaselp1
Yes it does have stock IRS. I definitely want to avoid wheel hop, and try to prep the car for the HP.

Zemedici

Established Member
Going turbo on these cars is quite an ordeal, but much easier to make power. Not saying you can't make 700 on pump gas but you'd need a 2.9 at minimum, and you'd need to be spinning it at high rpms. Do you have e85 available in your area?

And I've never seen a compound boost cobra, I've seen a few GT500s, that would be awesome

jobo1190

Established Member
After doing a quick google search, E85 seems to be readily available. I would like to make the power on pump gas, but I do like to weigh all the options.

The Hellion Compound Boost kit can be found here: http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&id=141

Speaking to your comment about going turbo being quite an ordeal, that is why I dont want to go too far down the super charger path, buy a KB or Whipple and supporting mods, and come to find out that I should have gone with a TT or compound kit to get the power. I have heard some "horror stories" about these TT Hellion kits, though...

This Cobra has the kit installed, and it appears to have a Whipple:
img2754copyay7yc8_590_442_90.jpg

usmcsvtwannabe

Not a noob
Established Member
If you have e85 in your area you could get a 2.3 whipple with a good fuel system and you should be able to make 700

Zemedici

Established Member
After doing a quick google search, E85 seems to be readily available. I would like to make the power on pump gas, but I do like to weigh all the options.

The Hellion Compound Boost kit can be found here: http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&id=141

Speaking to your comment about going turbo being quite an ordeal, that is why I dont want to go too far down the super charger path, buy a KB or Whipple and supporting mods, and come to find out that I should have gone with a TT or compound kit to get the power. I have heard some "horror stories" about these TT Hellion kits, though...

This Cobra has the kit installed, and it appears to have a Whipple:
img2754copyay7yc8_590_442_90.jpg

hellion's stuff is 'meh' at best, heard a bit of horror stories as of late. However, as much of an ordeal going Turbo on the factory eaton setup (changing intakes,timing covers, etc). Its probably TWICE that headache to go compound, that's why its hardly ever done.

That being said, if e85 is readily available in your area, i'd just go with a small blower, good fuel, and e85 and you'll make 700 so you'll hit your goal, and make ~600-630 on pump. 600 is still a pretty potent street car.

jobo1190

Established Member
Thanks very much for the replies with the great feedback! After further research, I am fairly certain that I do not want to pursue a Hellion Compound kit. There is just too much going on, too much that could break...

The method I am very excited about is that of removing the Ported Eaton, and adding a ProCharger F1-A Supercharger. Looks to have great potential, love the sound it makes, and seems produce more power with lower parasitic loss than a twin screw. I am leaning heavily towards this avenue, but I can't find many Cobra Owners who have gone this route. I havent read anything negative about this kind of setup, but I would love to hear some member feedback!

I think E85 is a great method of generating good numbers, but I dont want to be reliant on E85 to make the power I want

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You should take a look at the VMP (Gen 2) blower. Quite a few folks here have gone that route. TimsPony has a VMP setup with E85 and he's presently making 754 rwhp | 701 rwtq.

stangfreak

Established Member
Thanks very much for the replies with the great feedback! After further research, I am fairly certain that I do not want to pursue a Hellion Compound kit. There is just too much going on, too much that could break...

The method I am very excited about is that of removing the Ported Eaton, and adding a ProCharger F1-A Supercharger. Looks to have great potential, love the sound it makes, and seems produce more power with lower parasitic loss than a twin screw. I am leaning heavily towards this avenue, but I can't find many Cobra Owners who have gone this route. I havent read anything negative about this kind of setup, but I would love to hear some member feedback!

I think E85 is a great method of generating good numbers, but I dont want to be reliant on E85 to make the power I want

Make sure you do research on how to properly setup at centri setup on these cars. Bolting on a off the shelf procharger kit that uses the water to air and stock lower intake manifold will not work. I mean it will WORK, but you will be leaving a lot of hp on the table. If I were to do that swap, I would do it perfect and make sure I am not missing out on any power. I would contact juiced46. He was one of the very first 03 cobras to have the kit. Theres a reason why some of the guys on here who had the kits no longer do.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I personally would stick with a TS blower or turbo setup before going centri.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
You need to add the full tilt boogie racing IRS upgrade kit to your list. ZERO point in adding any power if you can't use it. I get a kick of guys who build up these cars adn take zero consideration for suspension.

I see no mention of lowering springs or full length subframe connectors. Also, you need to consider better tires than Nitto Drag radials....those are garbage.

bigmoose

Established Member

You won't be reliant on E85. All you do is set up your car to support E85. If you feel like filling with pump gas then do so when you are near empty and load a new tune at the pump with your handheld for gas. Takes only a few minutes.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
You need to add the full tilt boogie racing IRS upgrade kit to your list. ZERO point in adding any power if you can't use it. I get a kick of guys who build up these cars adn take zero consideration for suspension.

I see no mention of lowering springs or full length subframe connectors. Also, you need to consider better tires than Nitto Drag radials....those are garbage.

I agree 100%. I love guys that do this. I'm making 800+ rwhp on stock suspension and tires or just lowering springs it cracks me up. Ftbr and a slick be a good start

Users who are viewing this thread