Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
DBK, that was good seeing you voice the concerns you did regarding the trolling a week back. To the extents applicable, thanks for commenting on the nature of that situation.

Back to this car, and it’s voodoo cousin, the voodoo has plenty of potential. It’s still mildly cammed for the application. It would have even less low low end tq, but if peak power was carried out to 8200rpm instead of the current 7500, there’s an easy 50hp. It would have more average power as well from 5000-8200rpm. They could also stretch it to 8500 at that point and really level the last 300rpms almost flat. The 5.2 cpc ford racing na mill makes 580hp iirc for comparison.

Gt500 wise, if it happens, which at this point I’m expecting a cancellation honestly, I foresee something profitable but not necessarily enthusiast driven. Heavy as in 3850-3950lbs, luxurious ie an optional auto, some upgraded stereo or seats etc, pretty capable straight line fast with options to make it above average in bends and twisties. I don’t see it keeping pace with a zl1 1le unless you option in a $5-10k handling and aero package.
At this point if they cancelled the new 500 I wouldn’t be surprised at all.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
The Demon weighs +/-4300 pounds in its lightest configuration. Now let's address how not one other person has replicated Dodge's 9.65 run with a stock Demon. It's a 10+ second car in anything other than PERFECT conditions. Who really believes a 4300 lbs car with "only" 840HP is going to consistently run 9s?

Dodge was very forthcoming that the 9.65 pass was a hero run while it was 40 degrees outside and low humidity, just about sealevel, using the chiller, a heated track and tires, and close to 500 passes before it happened. They also said that in mild conditions, it was a consistent 9.9 car. Seeing how some Hellcats are getting a pulley, tune and sticky tires and running deep 9's, I can't see why the Demon wouldn't. Just takes lots of seat time.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Dodge was very forthcoming that the 9.65 pass was a hero run while it was 40 degrees outside and low humidity, just about sealevel, using the chiller, a heated track and tires, and close to 500 passes before it happened. They also said that in mild conditions, it was a consistent 9.9 car. Seeing how some Hellcats are getting a pulley, tune and sticky tires and running deep 9's, I can't see why the Demon wouldn't. Just takes lots of seat time.
So, what you're trying to say in other words Marc,.......the Demon is a 9 second car no matter how you slice it.
I agree. It's beast.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I could be in the minority here, but I’d like to see 10.9s off the floor in the 6sp configuration, and whatever improvement the Auto option allows....

And make the people who want to option this car as a ZL-1 beater, do as such. Whether it can touch a ZL-1 1LE, honestly don’t care personally.

Beating a Demon would be splendid, however I’d prefer a base price in the low 60s.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... I’d prefer a base price in the low 60s.

Not gonna happen. The base price of the GT350R is $63K. If it actually comes to fruition, you can expect the GT500 to start at least at $69K. From the amount of semi verifiable information that has trickled out, it may even have a base price near $74K.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I don't know why anyone ever thought the GT350 was done in 18. The "final year is 18" is another apocryphal Mustang-related story. Things get extensions approved or canned but there was never a "this is strictly a limited X year" run deal for this car.

You know, now that I think about it, the first 3 (?) iterations of the GT350 ran from '65 thru '71; '70, if you don't want to count the '71 Euro version. The first Boss 302 ran for 2 years. The new one ran for 2 years. Since Ford are sticklers for history and heritage, that would kind of mean the GT350 could be hanging around until the 2020 or 2021 model year! It was right there in our faces the whole time! Everybody remembers/thinks about the '65 - '67 GT350. Nobody remembers/talks about the '68 - '71 versions. I think that's why most thought '17 would be the final year of the GT350.

For reference, 1971 Shelby GT350 Europa/Euroshelby

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Not gonna happen. The base price of the GT350R is $63K. If it actually comes to fruition, you can expect the GT500 to start at least at $69K. From the amount of semi verifiable information that has trickled out, it may even have a base price near $74K.

No MagNeRide, no CF Wheels, 6sp...

I’ll stick with low 60s way before 75 for a no options car.

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member
You might be taking this release way too seriously, if it's holding up your life. LOL
QUOTE]

LOL...This is very true for some folks but does not apply to me. In all honesty, I have little to no interest in this release other than as a car enthusiast- let's face it- IF it ever comes to fruition then I have to assume it is going to be something pretty awesome, otherwise why bother and I think a failure release could do more harm than good for Ford (and unfortunately the Shelby namesake could be drug down with it)...I have no interest in getting one and never have...could that change some day down the road (IF it ever is actually released)? sure! but highly doubtful since I made the decision to toss more $$$ into my 2014 GT500 and keep on loving it indefinitely.

I will just leave this here- I wonder if a new thread should be started so we can discuss the ramifications to Ford and the Shelby namesake if this release is 1. a failure due to not meeting expectations and/or 2. cancelled altogether.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I seen the hellcat gets a drag pack for '19, which will have some demon components included in it, and a boost in HP to around 725.
Dodge is killing it.

I’m still in the market for the mere normal hellcat to replace my scat pack in a couple of years.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
You know, now that I think about it, the first 3 (?) iterations of the GT350 ran from '65 thru '71; '70, if you don't want to count the '71 Euro version. The first Boss 302 ran for 2 years. The new one ran for 2 years. Since Ford are sticklers for history and heritage, that would kind of mean the GT350 could be hanging around until the 2020 or 2021 model year! It was right there in our faces the whole time! Everybody remembers/thinks about the '65 - '67 GT350. Nobody remembers/talks about the '68 - '71 versions. I think that's why most thought '17 would be the final year of the GT350.

Reading way too much into this stuff.

Still nothing verifiable from anyone I see. Wish Raj would've spilled the beans after his sudden departure, that would've been great.

Yeah man, he has around $20 million in lifetime pension benefits he's still due, but he definitely should crater that by talking about Mustang.

conceptmachine

Established Member
I think there is going to be an R version of the GT500 and think that will be a 5 or 6k option if it comes with C.F. wheels.
I see it playing out like this: Base version no option car 68,500. fully loaded R model, 79,900. I have no problem with paying for a car that is worth it.
with the addition of a supercharger, cooling, larger brakes, carbon fiber in unique places and a DCT, this car will start at least 6 over a 350 price IMO.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I think there is going to be an R version of the GT500 and think that will be a 5 or 6k option if it comes with C.F. wheels.
I see it playing out like this: Base version no option car 68,500. fully loaded R model, 79,900. I have no problem with paying for a car that is worth it.
with the addition of a supercharger, cooling, larger brakes, carbon fiber in unique places and a DCT, this car will start at least 6 over a 350 price IMO.

Ford could actually take a three-pronged approach with it. A "standard" GT500 to beat the ZL1 and Hellcats, a GT500R to smack around the ZL1 1LE, and a GT500KR to put the Demon in its place. Although, I still think following the path of the Demon is a waste of time and resources. If somebody wants a basically dedicated drag car, they can buy a Cobra Jet and bitch slap Demons all day long at the strip. Doesn't the Cobra Jet run consistent 8s right off the factory floor? Whereas the Demon needs Mercury to be in retrograde and Venus to line up with Aquarius during a blue moon to break into the 9s. (I'm not talking about modded Demons.)

DepWraith

Established Member

You left out the $20k+ markups...and at that price point, other vehicles come into play.

Users who are viewing this thread