Anyone Have A KR?

352Ford

I make my own
Established Member
Ryan,
You are bringing up some good points, but…

i really dont think shelby automotive could give 2 shits about clones and their effect on the value of their products.

Check out some of the comments that Mr. Shelby has made over the years to FFR and the likes. It borders on pure silliness…

I just want the data: spring rates, sta-bar rates, suspension pickup points, damper valveing, part numbers, calibration, etc. I sure as hell don’t want to clone one.

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
You have a point. When a MC owner says their car is rare, it's "LOLOLOLOLOL no it's not.
Yet 1 of 1700 KR's is "OMGG SOS rARRAAAARREEEE, worth 500k AT LEAST!!!"

Well because the car (Term) is not rare, just the color (mystic C).
They made 12000+ Terms and are making 1700 KRs. :shrug: Apples to oranges if you bring in colors of a certain car.

Im glad my car came straight from Ford/SVT and had nothing to do with Shelby. The greed is ridiculous.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Ryan,
You are bringing up some good points, but…

Check out some of the comments that Mr. Shelby has made over the years to FFR and the likes. It borders on pure silliness…

I just want the data: spring rates, sta-bar rates, suspension pickup points, damper valveing, part numbers, calibration, etc. I sure as hell don’t want to clone one.
the thing is though, does the shelby corporation have those same beliefs? in my opinion(since we may never know for sure), they dont, just the man him self who is no longer in charge of operations.

i gotta agree, i would like to know some of that stuff too. see what some full time professional engineers(i mean this in the least offensive way to our aftermarket friends of course) changed on the car:beer:

BTW, not trying to come off as arguing for arguements sake, just trying to get an understanding here. in the end, i think we can all agree that these cars are straight awesome, no matter whos name is on them!

Last edited:

Tank5879

Established Member
if anyone wants to see some interesting reading about the "real" carroll shelby, check out www.saac.com and read some of rick kopec's writings....

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
if anyone wants to see some interesting reading about the "real" carroll shelby, check out www.saac.com and read some of rick kopec's writings....
yep, just ignore the other side of the story! let me guess, its all about how shelby is an old grumpy greedy prick or something? because everyone knows a man of his age is all about the money. really, we need not turn this into yet another shelby hate thread.

drmustang

Banned
yep, just ignore the other side of the story! let me guess, its all about how shelby is an old grumpy greedy prick or something? because everyone knows a man of his age is all about the money. really, we need not turn this into yet another shelby hate thread.

You are right, there is very positive side to the man's history. The man pioneered many things in the performance automobile world.

Let's call a spade a spade here. The current KR is hardly what most would consider a truely "rare" item with 1,700 scheduled to go out the door. Rare should be appropriately used to describe something on the order of the COPA stuff from the 60s where you saw 10,20, or even 50 units built. You wanna spend 80-100 grand on a new Mustang and call it rare go ahead but it will be no more hard to find than the next KR level product that comes along in the near future. The guys at Ford and SAI are not fools and undrstand that 5 or 10 thousand Mustangs at over 80 grand a throw are unlikely to clear the market without some serious incentives along the sales run.

A KR level Shelby Mustang of the soon to be public new body style with enhanced road manners and higher advertiseable power levels will put a beat down on the value of the 08/09 KRs.

vr4_007

Established Member
exclusivity of parts LOL anyone else notice the rear wing is a V6 part LOL. my local dealer has a row of the little guys with the same wing
How Cute
08.jpg

DSC04997.JPG

Learn something new every day.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Whats the opinion on the differences between Shelby and Saleen? How do you feel about the Extreme 620hp Saleen vs the KR? Would you consider that apples to apples? Both are $100k. Both are Mustangs. I think they are. I'd say you're getting your moneys worth from the Saleen more so than the KR. I dont think either is worth the $100k asking but you do get more from the Saleen when it comes to rarity and all around performance parts. How do they compare head to head?

Last edited:

kcmo-gt500

Established Member
kr exhaust is just an frpp muffler, with a different tip on it; it uses an h pipe with that combo instead of an x pipe to lower the Db slightly so it passes the noise requirements.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
You are right, there is very positive side to the man's history. The man pioneered many things in the performance automobile world.

Let's call a spade a spade here. The current KR is hardly what most would consider a truely "rare" item with 1,700 scheduled to go out the door. Rare should be appropriately used to describe something on the order of the COPA stuff from the 60s where you saw 10,20, or even 50 units built. You wanna spend 80-100 grand on a new Mustang and call it rare go ahead but it will be no more hard to find than the next KR level product that comes along in the near future. The guys at Ford and SAI are not fools and undrstand that 5 or 10 thousand Mustangs at over 80 grand a throw are unlikely to clear the market without some serious incentives along the sales run.

A KR level Shelby Mustang of the soon to be public new body style with enhanced road manners and higher advertiseable power levels will put a beat down on the value of the 08/09 KRs.
very true. the KR is rare for what it is, just like a 60-something KR was rare then, although its certainly not on the level of say the COPA cars like you mentioned.

ff500

Established Member
Here is a legitimate question, They are 1145 cars behind on the SS's and 40th
conversions and they've only built 60 Kr's so far, God forbid but if Mr Shelby passes away,what are the cars worth that aren't even built yet? What about the signed csm plaques for the cars that haven't been built yet? If it was me and I was buying as a collector I don't know if I'd want the car anymore. Maybe those cars would be worth more ?

ff500

Established Member
It seems from this sticker that the Kr is all svt and frpp with Shelby badging and cosmetics, even the rims have an svt centercap, one mod thats worth getting is the short throw with the frpp shifter ball and stick, I had it installed last week, shifting is quick and easy part # m-7213-j

83-1.jpg

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
John, those cars you mentioned actually don't use real signatures by CS himself. They are just prints.

The ones we can purchase for our cars for $300 are different, he signs those with a sharpie and are indeed very special IMO

Its all hype, smoke and mirrors with those so called rare Shelbys. Those days are gone

But the KR, SS, and 40th are awsome cars none the less and really if I had the coin, I would have one in my garage no doubt.

6-Speed

Established Member
It seems from this sticker that the Kr is all svt and frpp with Shelby badging and cosmetics, even the rims have an svt centercap, one mod thats worth getting is the short throw with the frpp shifter ball and stick, I had it installed last week, shifting is quick and easy part # m-7213-j
I'm surprised it didn't mention the 3.73 gears. Thanks for the comments on the FRPP shifter. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to install (labor)?

ff500

Established Member
It cost me $172.50 for parts and labor on the knob and stick, frpp m-7213-j they come in black or white. I'd have to look at prior invoices for the cost of the frpp short throw.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
I saw the new black knob with black stick FRPP shifter knob and stick in person at the dealer, it looks the shit!

You can install it yourself I think, just unscrew the stock knob (assuming that is how you remove it) and then lift the leather boot off the plastic center console and then it is just to screws that hold the stock stick to the shifter, so just remove and replace and screw new knob on and your good to go :)

I may do that and not bother with the whole FRPP shifter just because that would cost about $500+ with labor and I like the stock shifter

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
I agree...any pics of the Ford Racing knobs...either white or preferably black? The site doesn't show any.

BTW, why is SPP "developing" a short throw shifter if the FRPP one is what is in the KR? Just to sell a different one? The SPP version sure looks beefy, but it also seems like vapor...since it is "pre-order." Just curious.

Meanwhile, still waiting on the final verdict on the KR exhaust (or similar).:pop:

6-Speed

Established Member
I agree...any pics of the Ford Racing knobs...either white or preferably black? The site doesn't show any.
Here's a picture of mine:

I like the polished stainless steel handle and the white ball is a timeless classic. It is very easy to install. Mine makes a buzzing noise at certain engine RPMs but I've learned to tolerate it.

IMG_0986.jpg

The KR shifter ball does not have the Ford Racing logo on it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread