Anyone Have A KR?

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
So how do you suppose that meeting went? "I think we can count on 1000 suckers to pay $80K for one of these!"

$35K extra, huh? No offense to anyone, but I just can't see it!

Really makes the standard GT500 look like quite the bargain IMO.

Last edited:

R1Lello

Established Member
Here's a picture of mine:

I like the polished stainless steel handle and the white ball is a timeless classic. It is very easy to install. Mine makes a buzzing noise at certain engine RPMs but I've learned to tolerate it.

IMG_0986.jpg

The KR shifter ball does not have the Ford Racing logo on it.

I put a couple of rubber o-rings on the bolts first, tighten them up and no issues

drmustang

Banned
Here is a legitimate question, They are 1145 cars behind on the SS's and 40th
conversions and they've only built 60 Kr's so far, God forbid but if Mr Shelby passes away,what are the cars worth that aren't even built yet? What about the signed csm plaques for the cars that haven't been built yet? If it was me and I was buying as a collector I don't know if I'd want the car anymore. Maybe those cars would be worth more ?

Only 60 KRs have been completed? These are 08s?

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
why buy a KR, when its almost priced around a Ford GT? When I see "Buy it Now" on EBAY for 150k$.............makes me laugh.

ff500

Established Member
I think its up to about 85 2008 Kr's, its a slow process I guess and they're also behind on the 40th's and SS's.

ff500

Established Member
Ford should have kept this in house with Frpp and Svt and made a Cobra R and sold them for around $59,000 if possible. They probably had some contract with Shelby with these Kr's, Ford isn't the one behind on the Kr's its SAI thats behind.

65SC

Established Member
The KR is the exact mustang I wanted the GT500 to be minus the stripes and rear spoiler :)

It has everything I want or already have on my own car but without the headaches!

You can not beat factory installed by Ford, that is why the SS is junk IMO (I would rather build my own)

you have a good point

Mikesan

First Mustang
Established Member
If Shelby (SAI) can't get the KRs built then they ought to let Ford do some of them in order to get caught up. Of course then it will raise a new "real" Shelby fight! I don't seen anywhere near $35K worth of parts in the KRs. You can match the straight line performance with the intake, tuner, and axle-back for about $1800 installed. Is the hood really worth $8K? Many of the other bits are already available in the Shelby catalogs. Even at $75-80K MSRP with 1571 units destined for the American market and most of those going to be in collections, there will be plenty of stock, pristine, low mileage units available for a very long time. I don't know what the bottleneck is at SAI, but if I were in charge, I'd be introducing no new stuff until I completed all the old stuff first. CS6s, CS8s, Terlinguas be damned. Simplify the line and execute what you do have.

drmustang

Banned
Ford should have kept this in house with Frpp and Svt and made a Cobra R and sold them for around $59,000 if possible. They probably had some contract with Shelby with these Kr's, Ford isn't the one behind on the Kr's its SAI thats behind.

Very much agree with that statement. A mere 85 08 units built when the rest of the automotive world is delivering 09s is really weak and is likely the result of incompetent management. Ford should have built these in house, badged 'em up and gotten them to the market in a reasonable time frame.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
If Shelby (SAI) can't get the KRs built then they ought to let Ford do some of them in order to get caught up. Of course then it will raise a new "real" Shelby fight! ...

Yeah, but those other Shelbys aren't real SVTs!:bowdown:

...They probably had some contract with Shelby with these Kr's...

Yeah, like they use the Shelby name on the GT500 and Ford throws them the business on the KR at a large profit. Kinda makes sense.

Last edited:

Intruder

Established Member
Posted from a fellow on teamshelby.com regarding KR muflers......

The kit for both on the list is SAIM5230KR KR has two KR's at the end. Each sai5230kr for RH and sai5232kr for LH

His part fellow promised him KR mufflers when they arrived but then said he couldn't sell them without a KR vin once they showed up at the dealership.

I thought it would be fun to provide 1ZVHT88S785189885 to the parts man and "steal" a set.

See here's the deal.

If dealers in the US are getting both cars and parts ( Canada has gotten neither to this point ) how is the parts fellow not going to be able to give you those mufflers, if you furnish the above serial number?

Are they going to check you out at the local DMV?

The funny thing is you don't even have to show up in person. A phone call, credit card number and shipping address should suffice, no?

You could be the first to "steal" a set of KR mufflers and post the pictures of your accomplishment.

What is the worst that can happen? You're arrested for trying to buy Ford parts?

I'll be doing this up in Canada as soon as I hear the parts have arrived.......

Friendchicken

There comes a point where you start to see this marketing BS and realize that these KR cars are only an investment to the dealers- not the buyers.

Unless you are a collector, I have to question the purpose of buying one of these cars. I am a big Ford guy, but put a KR, Audi A8, Corvette Z06, Saleen or Porsche on the same lot and the Ford doesn't look that impressive.

Yes, the reviews are good, but they always add that caveat, "very good for a Mustang", or, "Best Mustang Ever".

I've seen so many "justifications' on why the KR is the car to have, and they are all ludicrous (IMO).

1. Shelby Heritage - unless you are a collector and this car is one of the cheapest in your showroom, move along. It's marketing BS.

2. Factory Built - These cars come off the same lines as the standard GT500, except for their extra mileage to a non-factory assembly line.

3. Performance - Minor upgrades do not equal $35000

4. Styling - Minor upgrades do not equal $35000

5. Bragging rights - Certainly holds water if you are a collector. However, if you are not a bonafied collector, I'm not sure I would admit how much I paid for it. Not when you consider the other options at that price range.

Regarding cloning the KR? Who would really want to unless they were a poser. Some, like myself would adopt much of the exterior queues like major body panels (that hawt V6 wing)... but replicate the performance parts? Probably not. If I am going to be changing exhaust/intake/blower/suspension/brakes/wheels.. they are going to be better then the KR version.

In the end, everyone needs to evaluate what they would rather have, a Shelby GT500KR, or a Shelby GT500 +$35,000 (to spend completely on the car)

Last edited by a moderator:

jamie392

Established Member
As the stories go, there were some pictures of the underside of a KR floating around on teamshelby.com . These pictures showed various part numbers of the exhaust etc.

They were removed due to these numbers being "top secret".

I'm guessing you can order these parts if you have the numbers, otherwise what would be the point of removing the pics?

It would be great if someone posted these pics/numbers here, just because.

It's friggin rediculous the lengths Shelby is trying to go, to to keep a production car's part numbers secret. Unbelievable. I wonder if the KR owners have to sign something preventing them from taking pictures of their 80K car? It's hard not to start disliking Shelby when I see so many V6 "GT500" clones being posted on the various forms. No one seems to give a rats a** about that in Vegas.

I think it's time to unwrap their KR's dirty little secrets while ADM's are the highest. Maybe if people have access to some or all of these parts, it'll bring them down a notch or 2.

Time for a backlash!

Yea I live in Vegas and they wont even respond to my e-mails. I was going to pull the trigger on the Shelby Ken Bell kit on there web-site, even though it is $500.00 more through them. My simple question was "can I get it installed at the Shelby mod-shop". They never responded so I am going to order it direct through Ken Bell and have NRP do the install.

Mach1Marauder

Banned
Shelby has always used the retarded position that “clones” devalue the real cars.

It is complete BS, one of the biggest “clone cars” in the world is the AC Cobra, and have you ever seen what an original 427 car will go for at auction? All those kit cars might actually be helping the value of the real car…

I say someone should go through and fully document a KR, not really to clone the cars, but just for historical data collection.

Yet he does things like this
http://cbs11tv.com/investigators/Suing.Carroll.Shelby.2.690016.html

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
I saw a purchased KR at the Woodward Dream Cruise yesterday. I tried to talk to the new owner about the exhaust, but I overheard him talking about the whole "is it a real Shelby or not, and that the GT500's weren't 'real'" etc. so I just ignored him.

So, I went to the back of the car to see the exhaust. No markings on the round mufflers at all, and the tips were straight instead of angle cut. The inside looked like the Borla stingers though.

Of course, he didn't want to start it either. :shrug:

Oh well...no closer to solving the "mystery" of the week.

Users who are viewing this thread