Attention MT-82 victoms!!!

POSFTW

Established Member
I saved the DCT fluid, it was placed in a brand new one gallon plastic storage cube. It is air tight and sealed solid, contaminent free, I can pump-it right back into the tranny for any warranty work. It is basically brown ATF, mine looked brand new when it came splashing out. XT-M5-QS is identical to Motorcraft Full Syn 5w-20 in appearance. XT-M5-QS looks like super fresh clear motor oil at room temp.

I "tested" on the highway for an hour today, 33 degrees out. After multiple 4th gear pulls the tranny was perfect. I pulled off the highway and actually enjoyed the transmission for the first time in over a month. The tranny was actually really nice the rest of the night, mostly in the mid 20's. It is definately better with each "test" session. I now have just over 400 miles since the switch.

AmnDucky

Established Member
I saved the DCT fluid, it was placed in a brand new one gallon plastic storage cube. It is air tight and sealed solid, contaminent free, I can pump-it right back into the tranny for any warranty work. It is basically brown ATF, mine looked brand new when it came splashing out. XT-M5-QS is identical to Motorcraft Full Syn 5w-20 in appearance. XT-M5-QS looks like super fresh clear motor oil at room temp.

I "tested" on the highway for an hour today, 33 degrees out. After multiple 4th gear pulls the tranny was perfect. I pulled off the highway and actually enjoyed the transmission for the first time in over a month. The tranny was actually really nice the rest of the night, mostly in the mid 20's. It is definately better with each "test" session. I now have just over 400 miles since the switch.

I'm going to the local Ford Dealership next week.

JL-KA

Established Member
This is a huge accusation and it demands further proof. If you want anything done about this by Ford you'll need to prove that what came out is what you say it is. It could definitely be a typo on Ford's part. One way to prove this would be to go to a dealership and request a quart of the fluid. Don't tell them which fluid, just that you want a quart for the 2011 6MT 5.0 and see what they give you. If they give you the QDC then that's most likely what's in there from the factory. Equally, if they give you the QS, I'd be inclined to think that's what they come with from the factory. You could also have samples sent (somewhere...not sure where) for independent testing for a definative answer that nobody could argue with.

Last edited:

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
Ive given in to the conspiracy theory. lol

Royal purple is saying xt-m5-qs is basically a full synthetic 10w40 with little or no friction modifiers... and recommends there 10w40 as the equivalent. hmm

you can get fully synthetic wet clutch 10w40 pretty cheap in comparison to 16 buck a quart of xt-m5-qs. wet clutch oil will have no friction modifiers in it cause it would make the clutch slip and in this case the synchros may be damaged. HMMMMMMMMM

wonder if i should go with the royal purple recommendation or the ford rip off price stuff. what do you guys think?

POSFTW

Established Member
Redline MTL looks to be an even better option. MTL is slightly more viscous @40 and @100. I think the key is going to be finding a GL-4 fluid that is pretty light and easy to get up to temp.

Redline D4 ATF is ideal for winter months, this might be the fluid for your average commuter.

I am going to look around some more, I think this tranny has a lot left in it. The XT-M5-QS has been so much better than the O.E. DCT fluid.

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions - MTL 70W80 GL-4 Gear Oil
Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions - D4 ATF

Last edited:

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
well when i get a chance to change my fluid, after i find something to put in its place. I will take pics of color and we can compare the fluids. Im hoping to get it done b4 next weekend.

So robbc get ur panties outta a knot.

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
Okay, I went and did the switch. anyone wanting pics of the fluid that came out or with a photobucket that wants to post them PM me. Ill email them to you. It was a redish brown liquid, kinda sticky. If you took used dex outta a th-350, it reminded me out that. Im partially colorblind (dont make fun of me assholes) so redish-brown is what it looked like to me. Def was NOT the light honey color of xt-m5-qs.

I replaced the mystery fluid with 75w90, since then i have drove 20ish miles tonight it was 40 degrees exactly, cold enough for my car to have hard clunky shifts. It now can be shifted with one finger, quieted down the tranny some too. it can be down shifted and without waiting for it to go into gear now. I took someone else with me and they said it is alot smoother as well, so im not smoking crack.

I kept my factory fluid in a new clean container just in case i need to put it back in. I have a 100 mile trip planned tmr so more to come...

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
I cant see the manual, damn linux! lol

But its really simple. at the back of the tranny a Hex bolt says drain above it another says fill. I used a little hand pump to get the fluid back in cause the tunnel is in the way to use the bottle, filled it to the top of the fill hole, took the suction side and slide it in to what i thought was a 1/2 inch down and sucked out the extra. used a q-tip to measure the 1/2 inch depth. when i was happy tightened it back up and went for a cruise.

def try it... only took a lazy hour and that was mainly holding the line while my wife pumped fluid in ever so slowly. LOL

sb03cobra

Established Member
I cant see the manual, damn linux! lol

The Ford service manual calls for - Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid
XT-M5-QS.

NOTICE:
The use of any other transmission fluid than specified can result in the transmission failing to operate in a normal manner or transmission
failure.

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
The Ford service manual calls for - Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid
XT-M5-QS.

NOTICE:
The use of any other transmission fluid than specified can result in the transmission failing to operate in a normal manner or transmission
failure.

thanks for the info.

but im sure if you look at the motor oil it says 5w20 and if you use anything else the motor will blow up into 1 trillion pieces. but i'd bet if you put 10w30 in it... it would make it.

I think if the fluid meets the API standards it will be okay, this isnt some totally revolutionary tranny. just a 6 speed made by a different company then tremec. that is just my opinion.

and again if anyone wants to host the pics please pm me. it will add validity to the topic. Dont make me break dont and get a photobucket account.

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
I bit the bullet and got an account. LOL Sorry so big... the top one is only 1/2 inch deep and it is that dark. If i put an inch or 2 in there you cant even see through it.

POSFTW

Established Member
70w-80 is still better than XT-M5-QS, I think my next fluid will be Redline MTL. The DCT fluid that came in our MT82 has some fricition modifiers in it which most likely causes delayed synchro meshing. I honestly feel that a 5w-20 like Amsoil's synchromesh will prove to be the correct fluid. The DCT had the correct viscosity just the wrong additive package.

It is not until I reach a viscosity of around 51 that I am even begining to be satisfied. 51 occurs around the temperature of 150F with XT-M5-QS. This same viscosity can be achieved at a much lower temp with Amsoil Synchromesh.

Please do not quote me on these numbers, my tables and write-ups are on my personal PC.

It is great to see people crack into their MT82's. I will keep everyone updated.

AMSOIL - Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (MTF)

Users who are viewing this thread