Attention MT-82 victoms!!!

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
UPDATE: i drive 80 miles today, it keeps getting smoother and smoother. I think it is due to the residue old fluid mixed into the new fluid, and worked into the gears now. plus i had a good chance to let it warm up today. its a totally new tranny, before this i was thinking of swapping this POS out but now IM LOVING IT!!!

true test tmr morning when its in the 30s and has been sitting all night.

POSFTW

Established Member
Just as I stated would happen, your tranny is getting better. However 75w-90 is too thick, this I can promise. XT-M5-QS was only switched in to prove a point. Please guys you have to trust me, Amsoil's Synchromesh is going to be the correct fluid. GM synchromesh, Royal Purple Synchromax, any of these very light 5w-20ish tranny fluid should work great.

The DCT fluid that was in our MT82 was not GL-4 spec, why the **** would we replace it with GL-4. Easy, we had to verify the current fluid was wrong and we feel GL-4 is a safe place to start.

If Ford DCT fluid did not have friction modifiers It would have probably worked fine. If it did not have fricition modifiers It would also just be a super light Synchromesh type fluid.

AmnDucky

Established Member
I went and spoke with a local dealership today. Apparently they have had several cars come in with this, so they added friction modifier to one and it solved the issue. Ford caught wind and told them to knock it off, that was not an authorized warranty repair, and to leave the rest of the cars alone. The service writer said Ford knows that this issues exists and has informed the dealership to not do anything about it. Sounds to me like a recall may drop. They hadn't seen the fluid discrepancy though, so they are looking into it and calling me back.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Well I'm glad there are u guys testing out different things

POSFTW

Established Member
This has become so obvious to me, Motorcraft does not produce a suitable fluid for our transmissions, that is the sole problem... Until the correct fluid is engineered we will experience poroblems.

Per my research, the MT82 transmission will best perform on a 5w-20/30 transmission fluid with little to no FM package. Synchromesh is the key.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
My trans has been notchy, and getting worse.. especially now that it's cold out. It has also whined in gears 1-4 from day one.. And that has gotten worse. Gears 5 and 6 don't whine at all. I need to bring it to the dealer..

Travis

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
This has become so obvious to me, Motorcraft does not produce a suitable fluid for our transmissions, that is the sole problem... Until the correct fluid is engineered we will experience poroblems.

Per my research, the MT82 transmission will best perform on a 5w-20/30 transmission fluid with little to no FM package. Synchromesh is the key.

Well, i put rp max gear 75w90 in. Wish i woulda had the recommendations before. Should i switch it asap again, or let it sit for 5000 miles or so? I would like to get my 60 bucks outta this fluid personally, if it doesnt start grinding or anything.

POSFTW

Established Member
Honestly 70w-80 Redline MTL is probably going to work well in Florida, it also carries a GL-4 certification. I think the silver bullet is the 5w-20/30 fluids, every single comparable tranny uses a "synchromesh" type fluid.

My money is on "Amsoil Synchromesh", it does not have a GL-4 certification because it is to light of fluid to do so. Amsoil produces a very high quality and affordable product. For $30.00 + shipping we could all potentially fix our tranny woes.

I have about 600 miles on my XT-M5-QS, I promised everyone I would log a thousand miles before I changed it, honestly I can't wait. I have a Barton shifter under the christmas tree, and potentially 3 qts of Amsoil Synchromesh next to it.

Glad to see some progress with this issue in the community.

11dsgGT

Established Member
I pumped in some XT-M5-QS and havent seen any noticeable difference. Shifts are still notchy 1st/2nd. The fluid I took out was pretty nasty, just like the picture posted above. Ive seen gear oil look better than that stuff.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Well, i put rp max gear 75w90 in. Wish i woulda had the recommendations before. Should i switch it asap again, or let it sit for 5000 miles or so? I would like to get my 60 bucks outta this fluid personally, if it doesnt start grinding or anything.

(EDIT) Apparently75W-90 full synthetic is factory fill.
Please note the hot side rating on a 75W-90 gear lube is close to the same as the hot side of a 10W40 motor oil.

Ive given in to the conspiracy theory. lol

Royal purple is saying xt-m5-qs is basically a full synthetic 10w40 with little or no friction modifiers... and recommends there 10w40 as the equivalent. hmm

you can get fully synthetic wet clutch 10w40 pretty cheap in comparison to 16 buck a quart of xt-m5-qs. wet clutch oil will have no friction modifiers in it cause it would make the clutch slip and in this case the synchros may be damaged. HMMMMMMMMM

wonder if i should go with the royal purple recommendation or the ford rip off price stuff. what do you guys think?

I would be pretty confident with RP Syncromax, though you can call and confirm it's usage in this application.

If this trans has been used in previous years of Mazda products there should be knowledge out there about a correct or better fluid.

Last edited:

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
thanks for the input. The tranny has been working great tho... So im hesitant to change it honestly. it is warm here in fl. with was almost 70 today and the tranny was working great. even with the thick fluid, the shifter moves with half the effort it did before.

Guess i will put in some gm synchromesh and save the RP in a clean container for the rearend or the tranny if synchromesh doesnt work. Id hate to ruin a tranny either way.

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
what about something that meets the GM synchromesh specification?

The local shop has pennzoil synchromesh and rp synchromesh both meet the standards? jimmy says RP synchromesh anyone else wanna chime in before I go pick it up?

reason i dont want to go with an oil 10w40 motor oil is because they may have FM in them due to gas mileage constraints unless it meets JASO-MA which means no friction modifiers added. All wet clutch sport bikes cant have Fm obviously.

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
NVM, I was on my dsm forum, says the Pennzoil sychromesh is the exact same as GM synchromesh. BUUUUUTTTTTTTT some people also said they have better luck with gear lube then synchromesh. bwahahaha

i am starting to think you can run anything as long as it doesnt grind and can shift... how did ford **** that up?!

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
If this trans has been used in previous years of Mazda products there should be knowledge out there about a correct or better fluid.
It's also the same transmission in the Ford Transit. Could there possibly be a Ford Transit forum?

POSFTW

Established Member
Any GM spec'd synchromesh fluid should do the trick. Pennzoil is cheap but wears out faster than synthetic and may not have the desired protection. GM makes a synthetic, so does RP and Amsoil, and I am sure many more. Amsoil still appears to be the cheapest.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Any GM spec'd synchromesh fluid should do the trick. Pennzoil is cheap but wears out faster than synthetic and may not have the desired protection. GM makes a synthetic, so does RP and Amsoil, and I am sure many more. Amsoil still appears to be the cheapest.

+1 on this info

jmatero

Established Member
Hi All

I'm the guy in San Jose who had the Friction Modifier added to my fluid first. To clear up something said earlier here, according to the dealer, they were instructed by the Ford Hotline to add the friction modifier.

It was added to my ORIGINAL fluid and definitely helped shifting when the car is fully warmed up. However, there is still grinding 1-2/2-3/3-4 each morning (60 degrees) and I'm still having quite a bit of 5-6 and 6-5 grinding even when warm. In addition, despite having my clutch and flywheel replaced and the hydraulics bled multiple times, my clutch engagement is terrible... on/off behavior making launches from stop in 1st jerky at best... which is NOT how it worked when new (progressive and smooth). In fact, I drove my coworker's 2011 (identical to mine except for color) and his clutch has a beautiful, progressive feel... just like I remember mine having.

I'm meeting with the San Francisco Bay Area Regional Tech from Ford tomorrow at 10am at Frontier Ford in Santa Clara, CA.

According to my Customer Care Rep, Ford asked that I stand by for now in terms of a repair until "The Fix" comes down to dealers. I asked what that might be and she said "They're experimenting with different fluids and some reengineered parts".

Stay tuned... I'll report back tomorrow.

Last edited:

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
dang chinese trannys.

glad im opting for the auto!!

in all seriousness though, im thinking Ford should just start putting the TR6060's in the GTs and calling it a day. :dancenana:

jmatero

Established Member
There may be nothing wrong with the transmission actually. They've been using this transmission in the Transit Panel Van and Land Rover Defender-2 for 6 years. The VICTIM of other problems may be the transmission.

If the pressure plate bolts are backing out or there is something wrong with the hydraulics preventing the clutch from fully disengaging during gear changes, you WILL damage the synchros. Keep in mind that the bolts don't have to back out very far for this to cause problems and there are many reports out there of owners needing the hydraulics bled and slave cylinders replaced. There are also a number of people reporting they had their synchros or transmissions replaced.... And the problem came back. Also, there are a number of folks reporting they are replacing their tranny fluid or adding friction modifier and getting great results. HOWEVER... Not a single person has reported the grinding, binding issues going away until the car warms up. A stiff, muddy feeling shifter can be normal when the car is cold. Grinding is NEVER normal.

If you are getting grinding or difficulty moving the lever into a gear with the clutch pedal fully depressed, changing to a different fluid my just be a band aid to a bigger issue. I'm mentioning this because I don't buy the argument that the wrong fluid is in our transmissions. If this was the case, this would be a wide spread issue affecting everyone. There are people with job 1 and job 2 cars reporting this. My buddy at work bought the IDENTICAL car a week before me... Built within hours of eachother... And he's brutal with his car with more miles and not a single issue.

I can point to no less than a dozen misprints in the owners manual.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread