Attention MT-82 victoms!!!

AmnDucky

Established Member
Hi All

I'm the guy in San Jose who had the Friction Modifier added to my fluid first. To clear up something said earlier here, according to the dealer, they were instructed by the Ford Hotline to add the friction modifier.

It was added to my ORIGINAL fluid and definitely helped shifting when the car is fully warmed up. However, there is still grinding 1-2/2-3/3-4 each morning (60 degrees) and I'm still having quite a bit of 5-6 and 6-5 grinding even when warm. In addition, despite having my clutch and flywheel replaced and the hydraulics bled multiple times, my clutch engagement is terrible... on/off behavior making launches from stop in 1st jerky at best... which is NOT how it worked when new (progressive and smooth). In fact, I drove my coworker's 2011 (identical to mine except for color) and his clutch has a beautiful, progressive feel... just like I remember mine having.

I'm meeting with the San Francisco Bay Area Regional Tech from Ford tomorrow at 10am at Frontier Ford in Santa Clara, CA.

According to my Customer Care Rep, Ford asked that I stand by for now in terms of a repair until "The Fix" comes down to dealers. I asked what that might be and she said "They're experimenting with different fluids and some reengineered parts".

Stay tuned... I'll report back tomorrow.

Keep me updated. I went to Frontier because I know they are a big dealership and they sell a lot of Mustangs. They called me back yesterday and told me that the correct fluid for my transmission is the full synthetic not the DCT, so now I have to decided if I feel the wrong fluid really is in my transmission. At least Ford is doing something about this.

jmatero

Established Member
I met with the service manager and the Ford Tech for the Bay Area this morning. They were great.. we all drove my car... and drove a new one on the lot (6/10 build). The difference in the clutch was amazing. Picked up right off the floor.. smooth, progressive engagement. The other car had been on the lot all night and the first thing the tech mentioned was the crunching going into 2nd on that car too. It vanished as soon as we warmed it up though.

He also check my engine mounts just to confirm the motor was secure.. which it was. In the end, he felt the best course of action was to replace the flywheel, clutch assembly, and entire transmission... which they ordered. I asked about the fluid and the theory of "wrong fluid" doesn't jive. They do acknowledge shift effort is too hard/rough when the car is cold and engineering is investigating solutions. Their focus is on the fluid and synchronizers, but there is no word on when/if an update is coming down the pike.

Upon leaving the dealership, I thought about it and I think I'm going to contact Ford again and ask if they would please replace the clutch master cylinder, clutch slave, and pilot bearing while they have it all apart.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
I met with the service manager and the Ford Tech for the Bay Area this morning. They were great.. we all drove my car... and drove a new one on the lot (6/10 build). The difference in the clutch was amazing. Picked up right off the floor.. smooth, progressive engagement. The other car had been on the lot all night and the first thing the tech mentioned was the crunching going into 2nd on that car too. It vanished as soon as we warmed it up though.

He also check my engine mounts just to confirm the motor was secure.. which it was. In the end, he felt the best course of action was to replace the flywheel, clutch assembly, and entire transmission... which they ordered. I asked about the fluid and the theory of "wrong fluid" doesn't jive. They do acknowledge shift effort is too hard/rough when the car is cold and engineering is investigating solutions. Their focus is on the fluid and synchronizers, but there is no word on when/if an update is coming down the pike.

Upon leaving the dealership, I thought about it and I think I'm going to contact Ford again and ask if they would please replace the clutch master cylinder, clutch slave, and pilot bearing while they have it all apart.

well, at least they are taking care of you. hopefully they release a true fix soon so we all know what is really going on... my car is in the garage for the winter so i can just wait it out. i just hope that you don't experience the same symptoms shortly after they replace all those parts and have your car down for awhile. that would really suck...

11dsgGT

Established Member

Sounds like you got a bad apple, with numerous problems. The dealer you are working with is really going the extra mile in finding a solution for you. I hope everything works out.

I had the 2nd and 5th syncros replaced, along with the rings and that did the trick as far as shifting and feel of the clutch. However, after driving around for 700 miles the tranny gets nice and hot, it starts making a tick sound, under load, mainly in fourth gear from 1300 to 2000 rpm. Im hoping its doesn't develop into something that causes a serious problem.

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
Alright, i switched the fluid... AGAIN!!!! went with synchromesh like recommended. Since then i have drove 25 miles, all city (damn xmas shopping). With in the first mile or two i notice the shifter was even easier and smoother cold, then the gear oil when hot. the gear oil was alot better then the stock bs. Seems promising but not enough miles to say for sure but it goes into first easier too. it was hot today though (71) so all this could be the weather maybe.

since i have switched from stock fluid (about 200 miles ago) i havent had a single grind, i was having 1-2 a day on my 30 mile round trip to and from work. Ill keep you updated on the synchromesh.

kyoshosp2

Established Member
ilovestangsalot what fluid u put in? mine is notch as hell cold and warm. what fluid is best and where? i think i might try the Amisol. what do i look for with this FM stuff not beign in it? 3qts right?

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
ilovestangsalot what fluid u put in? mine is notch as hell cold and warm. what fluid is best and where? i think i might try the Amisol. what do i look for with this FM stuff not beign in it? 3qts right?

As of right now i have tried stock, completely shitty. the royal purple max gear 75w90, worked back has FM in it so not good for the tranny ford says thats why they wont put it in the tranny anymore. Now im using pennzoil synchromesh because it was readily available and seems to be working the best outta those 3.

Amsoil or a name brand full synthetic that meets GM syschromesh spec will prolly be the best.

yes, you need 2.7 quarts so you have to buy 3.

gtmiller1001

Established Member
My trans has been notchy, and getting worse.. especially now that it's cold out. It has also whined in gears 1-4 from day one.. And that has gotten worse. Gears 5 and 6 don't whine at all. I need to bring it to the dealer..

Travis

New to the forum and Mustangs period. Been reading quite a bit on this problem.

I have a similar issue. Mine is not notchy (at least I don't thin it is...i've been driving lifted trucks for a while now) but I DEFINITELY have the whine in every gear except 5 and 6. It is at its worst around 2700 RPM. Took the car into the dealer in Tyler, TX and they say it's normal. Drove another 5.0 on the lot and it actually did the same exact thing! They were not too happy when I asked if they were going to address the issue in the car on the lot as well as mine :) I'm up in the air on this one.....wait for an "official fix" or try a different fluid in the tranny???

I'm actually in Houston for the Holidays as of today so I'm going to drop by another dealer in the morning and see what they say.

Last edited:

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
New to the forum and Mustangs period. Been reading quite a bit on this problem.

I have a similar issue. Mine is not notchy (i've been driving lifted trucks for a while now) but I DEFINITELY have the whine in every gear except 5 and 6. It is at its worst around 2700 RPM. Took the car into the dealer in Tyler, TX and they say it's normal. Drove another 5.0 on the lot and it actually did the same exact thing! They were not too happy when I asked if they were going to address the issue in the car on the lot as well as mine :) I'm up in the air on this one.....wait for an "official fix" or try a different fluid in the tranny???

I'm actually in Houston for the Holidays as of today so I'm going to drop by another dealer in the morning and see what they say.

you can drop in a cheap synchromesh fluid and see if it works for you... and save your stock fluid in a new clean sealable container that way if the fluid change doesnt work you can put the stock back in and take it to ford. :) i only paided 21 bucks for my synchromesh.

good luck and if you do the switch, please let us know. More people that do it and give feed back the better.

gtmiller1001

Established Member
you can drop in a cheap synchromesh fluid and see if it works for you... and save your stock fluid in a new clean sealable container that way if the fluid change doesnt work you can put the stock back in and take it to ford. :) i only paided 21 bucks for my synchromesh.

good luck and if you do the switch, please let us know. More people that do it and give feed back the better.

**** it, i'll go to ford in the AM and see what this dealer says. if they do nothing (which i'm sure they will) i'm gonna swap the fluid.

can you get amsoil at retail stores or do you have to order it? I am in houston right now so i should have a pretty good selection

AmnDucky

Established Member

So, what are the odds they will give me the same treatment?

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
**** it, i'll go to ford in the AM and see what this dealer says. if they do nothing (which i'm sure they will) i'm gonna swap the fluid.

can you get amsoil at retail stores or do you have to order it? I am in houston right now so i should have a pretty good selection

i couldnt find it around pcola, but houston is alot bigger so you might be able to find it.

jmatero

Established Member
If you want the same treatment, try following my formula:

1. Register at allfordmustangs.com and send a message to user FordCustSrvc explaining your problem in detail.

2. Deysha will respond and assign you a case number and customer care rep.

3. Your customer care rep will call you and setup an appointment with your dealer.

4. Be polite and respectful... And state the truth: I am not happy with my car at all right now. It is not driving like it did when I bought it.

Another option would be to wait until mine is repaired... Let's see if this does the trick... if it does, you can go straight to the service manager, raise your hand and say "NEXT!"

jmatero

Established Member
One thing to keep in mind is that there are a multitude of issues that can cause this shifting problem and in my particular case, they tried multiple repairs... Process of elimination... And landed where they did. There are people with the same symptoms reporting they changed the clutch slave and car is perfect. In all fairness, Ford isn't going to just replace everyone's entire drivetrain... They need to inspect ALL of these cars. The worst thing we all could do is sit back and try to fix it ourselves with fluid swaps, shifter changes, etc. The more of us who bring our cars back and say "this is not the car I purchased...I am very unhappy with my new Mustang" the better.

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
well, i think it works both ways. people get out there and figure out the problem for ford. they dont have thousands of test cars driven thousands of miles, but we do with someone who knows the car better then the average mechanic. Ford is def monitoring these forums heavily and know we are all pissed. here are some examples of good that came from homemade fixes:

Lethal figured out the clutch pedal problem and posted it all over the web, a few weeks later ford issued a TSB. I wonder how ford figured it out?!

Pressure plate bolts was figured out by a guy in russia and posted all over the web, then guess what ford issued a tsb. HMMMM

I think they actually rely on the web these days. its cheaper for them to have thousands of people buy and "test" the car, then have multiple corporate test cars in all sorts of different conditions.

JMHO, but either way it gets fixed the more we will get to enjoy our cars like we should be able too, and enjoying it is what it is all about.

jmatero

Established Member
Agreed. Just to clarify, I think any problems with our cars should be reported or they won't understand the magnitude of the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread