Best oil to use?

pony23

Established Member
I used to use Mobil 1 but now use Royal Purple with a Mobil 1 filter.

I use Redline in the tranny and rear.

Last edited:

Daddys GT500

Established Member
Wow...looks like a lot of you took a drink from the stupid punch.

Okay. This is ALL that matters, ONLY Castrol & Motorcraft 5W-50 is "endorsed" by Ford (I believe Roush/Valvoline is no longer).

If you use something else, and you "pop" your motor, your warranty will be voided. Of course most of us have modded our engines out of warranty. But should you get a gasket leak, etc. you warranty will be voided.

And yes, ford will have your oil checked.

Use what you want, and changing at full syn at 5K or 6 months is fine (unless you race).

Also 6.5 quarts...no more no less.

jcthorne

Established Member
Actually its you that does not know what they are speaking about.

Ford has, does and will use oil analysis as part of evaluation for large warranty claims on failed engines and transmissions. Wrong oil, or oil way past service life is fair grounds for warrany denial. Happens more often than you may think. The aftermarket warranty comanies have gotten more into this as a way to deny claims as well.

They do not try and determine specific brand of the oil, just if it meets the specified requirements. Although determining brand and batch is not impossible, just not necessary.

pony23

Established Member
Wow...looks like a lot of you took a drink from the stupid punch.

Okay. This is ALL that matters, ONLY Castrol & Motorcraft 5W-50 is "endorsed" by Ford (I believe Roush/Valvoline is no longer).

If you use something else, and you "pop" your motor, your warranty will be voided. Of course most of us have modded our engines out of warranty. But should you get a gasket leak, etc. you warranty will be voided.

And yes, ford will have your oil checked.

Use what you want, and changing at full syn at 5K or 6 months is fine (unless you race).

Also 6.5 quarts...no more no less.

It has BP on the fuel cap also. What are you going to tell me next, they will check your fuel brand too. :loser:

You must have been hitting the punch hard too:beer: Drink up

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Actually its you that does not know what they are speaking about.

Ford has, does and will use oil analysis as part of evaluation for large warranty claims on failed engines and transmissions. Wrong oil, or oil way past service life is fair grounds for warrany denial. Happens more often than you may think. The aftermarket warranty comanies have gotten more into this as a way to deny claims as well.

They do not try and determine specific brand of the oil, just if it meets the specified requirements. Although determining brand and batch is not impossible, just not necessary.

I posted this in another thread, and it deserves to be copied to this thread as well. Research the specs given of an oil analysis and how they apply before posting opinions.

You know, even if Ford sent in for an oil analysis, they still wouldn't be able to void your warranty. The results would come back and show an engine lubricant that specs at...

Viscosity @ 40*C
Viscosity @ 100*C

would both return the results of a 50 weight oil, regardless the "winter" weight the first number is.

Now the zinc levels would exceed 800 ppm, but you are not in the shop for a burnt out catalyst, so that will NOT void your warranty on the internals of the engine.

So guys, I am the engine lubrication guru, good luck trying to tell me they can void the warranty on my engine because I'm not using the 5W-50 oil that Ford or Castrol sells that carries the special endorsement recommendation for the 5.4L modular. The UOA will NOT show anything out of the ordinary.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
So what are you using.

AMSOIL 20W-50

I compared the specs of AMSOIL's 20W-50 to Red Line's 5W-50. The specs of AMSOIL's fluid is equivalent in most area's, and an improvement in others. Now, this is comparing a group IV true synthetic to another group IV. The cold flow properties of AMSOIL 20W-50 is better than a non synthetic 5W-XX. I honestly think AMSOIL calls it a 20W-50 so that the crowd they formulate it for will buy it. Guess the "old school" guys wouldn't feel comfortable with the same oil if it were called what it really should have been called, a 5W-50.

For the oil filter, nothing compares to the AMSOIL EaO11 filter that fits all Ford 2V, 3V, & 4V modulars.

AMSOIL Filters

The patented nano fiber technology is far superior to all other synthetic fiber media used in the other expensive filters (Mobil, K&N, Royal Purple, etc.) The EaO filters can also be used up to 25,000 miles, not that a Shelby owner would ever use it that distance, but it says something about the quality.

0015-1.jpg

0011.jpg

0010-2.jpg

EAO_ExplodedFilter_900px.jpg

cellulosemediaspacing_560px.jpg

syntheticmediaspacing_560px.jpg

eao_efficiency_500px.jpg

b51d7955.jpg

filter_inlet.jpg

fram_bosch.jpg

amsoil.jpg

filter_media.jpg

Last edited:

jcthorne

Established Member
I posted this in another thread, and it deserves to be copied to this thread as well. Research the specs given of an oil analysis and how they apply before posting opinions.

A real oil analysis shows far more than that. Shear strength, component concentrations, viscosity down to 0degF and many others.

Motorcraft is 'recomended' as its Ford's own brand. Its not 'required'. Its made by ConnocoPhillips for Ford. Castrol just happens to meet the specs Ford calls out. The Roush/Valvoline did too but they dropped it. Its just that those are the only two products currently on the market that meet the specs. Its a very small market so not likely there will be many more.

I will not use any product marketed by the pyramid marketing scheme known as Amsoil. Heck, they would much rather spout all kinds of junk science rather than have most of thier oils tested and certified to the industry standard API specs. I choose to use an oil that does. That way I KNOW what its capable of and meets the requirements set forth by the engine's manufacture. Not just take the word of a carnival midway talking head.

Please take your Amsoil marketing BS elsewhere where there are still folks that want to hear it.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
A real oil analysis shows far more than that. Shear strength, component concentrations, viscosity down to 0degF and many others.

Motorcraft is 'recomended' as its Ford's own brand. Its not 'required'. Its made by ConnocoPhillips for Ford. Castrol just happens to meet the specs Ford calls out. The Roush/Valvoline did too but they dropped it. Its just that those are the only two products currently on the market that meet the specs. Its a very small market so not likely there will be many more.

I will not use any product marketed by the pyramid marketing scheme known as Amsoil. Heck, they would much rather spout all kinds of junk science rather than have most of thier oils tested and certified to the industry standard API specs. I choose to use an oil that does. That way I KNOW what its capable of and meets the requirements set forth by the engine's manufacture. Not just take the word of a carnival midway talking head.

Please take your Amsoil marketing BS elsewhere where there are still folks that want to hear it.

Sure, you can think what you want, but if you REALLY did your research you would know that AMSOIL's OE lubes are ALL API SN/SM, Dexos 1, AND GL-5 certified (Currently the only manufacturer to meet all 3 certifications at once). The OE line of oils are formulated to satisfy the car manufacturers and catalyst warranty requirements. Nice try, but your bash is based on skepticism and not hard facts, not good enough.

Also, if API "minimum" standard is what floats your boat, so be it. Who wants an engine lubricant that only passes "minimum" standards? Do you even know the real reason why AMSOIL's top tier lubricants are NOT API SN/SM certified? No, you don't or you would have never even tried that approach. The API doesn't take into account NOACK Volatility, and until it does, AMSOIL's top tier lubes will not pass due to the extra amounts of ZDDP that have been proven to minimize engine wear. AMSOIL's top tier oils are API SL certified. Guess what, so is most of Royal Purple's lubes. RP isn't API SN/SM either, so does that make them inferior as well? Oh, and guess what....neither is Red Line's 5W-50, rut roh raggy!

Bottom line, the latest API SM standards limit ZDDP, and in my opinion is unacceptable. AMSOIL, and other top tier lubes, due to low volatility, isn't contaminating catalysts any more than the low ZDDP formulations that have much higher volatility.

Seriously, do your homework before you want to discuss formulations, and what works. As stated before, you will NEVER see me pour an API SM lube in any of my high performance cars.

Last edited:

lkatya

slow 4V
Established Member
Sure, you can think what you want, but if you REALLY did your research you would know that AMSOIL's OE lubes are ALL API SN/SM, Dexos 1, AND GL-5 certified (Currently the only manufacturer to meet all 3 certifications at once). The OE line of oils are formulated to satisfy the car manufacturers and catalyst warranty requirements. Nice try, but your bash is based on skepticism and not hard facts, not good enough.

Also, if API "minimum" standard is what floats your boat, so be it. Who wants an engine lubricant that only passes "minimum" standards? Do you even know the real reason why AMSOIL's top tier lubricants are NOT API SN/SM certified? No, you don't or you would have never even tried that approach. The API doesn't take into account NOACK Volatility, and until it does, AMSOIL's top tier lubes will not pass due to the extra amounts of ZDDP that have been proven to minimize engine wear. AMSOIL's top tier oils are API SL certified. Guess what, so is most of Royal Purple's lubes. RP isn't API SN/SM either, so does that make them inferior as well? Oh, and guess what....neither is Red Line's 5W-50, rut roh raggy!

Bottom line, the latest API SM standards limit ZDDP, and in my opinion is unacceptable. AMSOIL, and other top tier lubes, due to low volatility, isn't contaminating catalysts any more than the low ZDDP formulations that have much higher volatility.

Seriously, do your homework before you want to discuss formulations, and what works. As stated before, you will NEVER see me pour an API SM lube in any of my high performance cars.

Very good info in here. Completely inline with the research I have found in the past. :beer:

jcthorne

Established Member

Would you at least take the time to read what was posted. I NEVER stated you needed to use Motorcraft oil. I stated you need to use an oil that meets the required specifications for the engine as shown in your owners manual. At present, there are EXACTLY two products on the market that meet that spec. Motorcraft and Castrol. Any of the other oil vendors are welcome to market an oil to meet the spec. At present, they do not so choose.

jcthorne

Established Member

I've done enough homework to know I will never buy products from a company that so consistantly markets its products ONLY through SPAM, carnival midway hecklers and pyramid marketing schemes. Until they grow up, get thier oils certified to industry standards and market through legitamet retail outlets and mainstream suppliers, they are not worthy of consideration. Do not compare Amsoil to RedLine and Royal Purple who both have gone to the trouble to compete on a level field, passing API standards (ones that make sense for the intended use of the product) and sales through legit retail channels.

Amsoil's products that are not certified (I never said none of them are) are not because they would not pass in most instances. Yes, the API standards are the minimums for the intended service grades, and the Amsoil product fails at the minimums until they prove otherwise. Ok, guess its easier to come into forums such as this and spout SPAM to market much more inexpensivly than doing things the industry standard way.

Neither RedLine nor RP market an oil that meets the Ford spec for the GT500 and will tell you so if you take the time to speak with them. They make great oils for many applications, they just have chosen not to market this one.

Users who are viewing this thread