Cam covers, AFCO, KB 2.2, 03 Cobra Installation Pictures - Some assembly req.!

sonicmach1

Established Member
you have done an amazing job, the engine bay and entire car look great. i have this thread bookmarked because a few of those pics will help me with my eaton swap :).

Thanks. I am glad you found them useful. I still have plans for How-To threads on R&R on the Eaton, intercooler, cam covers, etc. projects in more detail. I have hundreds of other project pictures.

sonicmach1

Established Member
Car looks absolutely amazing. Nicely done.

Thanks. I am nearly out of project tasks. I have powder coating the rear brake calipers, perhaps a new clutch and race front tires on the to-do.

Enjoy your Bullitt... I was the development engineer on the Bullitt's engine calibration. Here is one of the first pre-production (with the final body) Bullitts (4-28-2001)
bullitt_driveway3_312000.jpg

sonicmach1

Established Member
Got a few more mods in the works with winter downtime coming.

First off is the new JLT carbon fiber CAI to replace my Steeda version. I will also be adding a bigger airmeter to replace my BA2600 that I am now pegging.

smCF%20heat%20shield%20019_1.jpg

Secondly, I am considering a True Forged intercooler tank - probably in black satin as my local powdercoater had suspended his work and he has the redfire custom match formula.

Thirdly, I am powdercoating the rear calipers black.

I have a new website in the works so I will be adding all of the project step-by-step detail and write-ups on all of this work!

Enjoy.

sonicmach1

Established Member
How do you like those toyos?

I will probably do those after the RA1s

I love them! They hook even in 1st for the most part even with >600 RWHP. I had trouble putting down 2nd and sometimes 3rd with my Pilot Sports.

sonicmach1

Established Member
What side skirts are on that pre-production bullitt? Those didnt make it on the car.

Those are the production Bullitt side skirts. They are like the '03 Cobras, but with a tiny "mud flap" at the front. The flap was required to pass durabilty - for stone chipping tests. The Cobra would not pass that.

sonicmach1

Established Member
Finally a new update...

I just started the installation of the JLT Carbon Fiber intake kit (replacing my Steeda version). I think the black CF is going to look pretty nice and play into my engine color scheme better too. I am also installing a black satin True Forged intercooler reservoir with a polished cap.

Too bad I just spent a bunch of $$$ on my framed Cobra pictures with the already old setup.

JLT kit
JLT_CarbonFiber_kit_1292011.jpg

My current Steeda setup
Steeda_kit1_1292011.jpg

Steeda_kit2_1292011.jpg

]

Steeda_kit3_1292011.jpg

More to come...

Last edited:

sonicmach1

Established Member
JLT Install

I starting the JLT install and came upon some improvements:

The ACT sensor fits in a grommet in the bottom of the intake tube. However, it fit loosely and was not acceptable. Air leaking at this point is unmetered air and will cause an air adaptive error. I removed the sensor and reinstalled it using some RTV-type sealant. I applied it around the circumference before the final insertion then smoothed off the excess after seated.

JLT_ACTsensor_sealant1_2132010.jpg

JLT_ACTsensor_sealant2_2132010.jpg

I polished the filter adapter ring and used a small amount of sealant between the aluminum ring and the MAF housing. Although this is metered air, I still find it best practice to seal it and force all dirty air through the filter element.

JLT_MAFsensor_sealant1_2132010.jpg

JLT_MAFsensor_sealant2_2132010.jpg

I hope to finish the install this weekend.

Last edited:

Satyr

Established Member
I just picked up a redfire and was looking for some pictures of what people have done and your bay is identical to the image that I have in mind, especially the cam covers and the attention to detail. Great work on your car...looks amazing.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you get a color-matched intake? I had a CF intake with my mystichrome and loved it, but would have preferred the color-matched model after I received it. Either way, I am sure it will look very nice.

sonicmach1

Established Member
Congrats on the new redfire.

I am trying to balance the red / black / silver colors. I think the black will balance well. I though about a red version, but the red CF shield I thought would not look right. We'll see. I will post some pictures of it installed this weekend.

I just picked up a redfire and was looking for some pictures of what people have done and your bay is identical to the image that I have in mind, especially the cam covers and the attention to detail. Great work on your car...looks amazing.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you get a color-matched intake? I had a CF intake with my mystichrome and loved it, but would have preferred the color-matched model after I received it. Either way, I am sure it will look very nice.

sonicmach1

Established Member
I got the JLT installed today. I think the engine theme looks nice with it.

I do have some improvements/modifications for the JLT kit though with my over attention to details. I will describe them in more detail and my corrective actions in a separate thread, but to quickly summarize:

1. I will be replacing the worm clamps with t band clamps
2. The ACT temperature sensor grommet is slightly too big (air leak)
3. The PCV hose nipple is slightly too small - a bit loose
4. The vac hose port is not needed on cars without EGR (possibly do not drill as an option)
5. The shield is only held in by one bolt (lose and sits on airmeter housing)
6. It looks like the shield could be another few inches deeper to further isolate the filter

Engine Bay

Install (with PCV line not connected)
JLT_install1_2202011.jpg

My friend aligning the cover as it will sit after modifications
JLT_covernew1_2202011.jpg

Last edited:

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
No, it clears by a 1/2" or so. It looks nice on the car. I wish they added an extra mount for the shield.

Users who are viewing this thread