daily driver at 100,000 miles. what oil to run?

SatisTraction

Established Member
I know this is a old question and i have searched. To bad you cant search the word "oil".

anyway i bought a very used cobra at 100,000 miles and i am about to do the 1st oil change. what would you reccomend?

I am also picking up some tr6 plugs for it.

thanks
chris

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
AMSOIL Signature Series oil is good. You might check with JimmySidecarr. He works for Royal Purple. I'm sure he can help you pick a good oil. It would help if you knew the maintenance history of the car.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Obviously I am going to say Royal Purple if you want the best, but I thought that long before I got a job with the company.

If the car is relatively stock and your usage is fairly normal, and you choose a high quality Synthetic like Amsoil, Redline or our Royal Purple you will be fine with a 5W-20 viscosity.

If you are modded and making close to 100 horsepower more than stock, I think moving to a 5W-30 full synthetic is just a better idea and is basically playing it safe.

On a car with that many miles I would use 5W-30 right from the get go, anyway.

Even Ford put a Synthetic-blend in, so I would not go backwards will your oil protection and buy conventional.

When you first switch to a high quality Full Synthetic on a high mileage used car, it is best to change oil and filter at the normal interval the first two oil changes.
The inside of the engine is being cleaned up and it takes a little while.
You do not want your oil filters plugging up and bypassing, due to residual crap from years of conventional oil use.

Once you have done a couple full synthetic oil changes you can then extend the interval out to about 12,000 or 12 months very safely.

BTW, we make an extremely high quality extended life synthetic oil filter now also, part # 20-820 for these cars.:beer:

Last edited:

ray77

roll tide roll
Established Member
u rec 5-30? hmm not to steal the thread but could u go into more reasons why or point me to a thread where it has been?

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
u rec 5-30? hmm not to steal the thread but could u go into more reasons why or point me to a thread where it has been?

The engineer(s) on the mod motors will tell you that a 30wt oil is the way to go. Ford went to 20wt for fuel economy reasons (that has been brought up here numerous times). A 20wt oil under "hard" use will eventually shear to a lower weight, so if you start with a 30wt, you have a longer way to go for it to shear down (that is in about the simplest of terms!).

SatisTraction

Established Member
thanks. I am putting 480 to the wheels and it has a kit on it too. it has synthetic in it now so i should be good to go on that.

so synthetic 5w-30 it will be.

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
I know this has been discussed almost every week here, but I do find this interesting.

I think Royal Purple is a great oil, but I would have never guessed I could run it for 12,000 miles or 12 months. 12 months would hit first for me for sure.

SVTDice

Established Member
Royal Purple, Amsoil, Redline, All great products. As long as you put a quality Synthetic and not something like Quaker State, You will be fine.

They are quite the leap over Conventional

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

You can find quite a bit of eye opening testimony about the 5W-20 vs 5W-30 topic by doing a search for "Scott Whitehead former Ford engineer-durability testing-wear-5W-20 vs 5W-30" and other variations on those words.

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
Also Beast did a big write up on the whole 20wt/30wt dispute. Maybe he will chime in.

cobracide

Established Member
Royal Purple, Amsoil, Redline, All great products. As long as you put a quality Synthetic and not something like Quaker State, You will be fine.

They are quite the leap over Conventional

Yes, very true. Any API (category IV) PAO base oil formulation is going to be much better than others. Redline is a Group V but top rated as well.

Amsoil Signature series...

Probably the best choice out there, check the specs (specifically the NOACK stability test which for our cars applies a lot due to the high temps, also check the four ball wear test and pretty much any other stat) and compare. Amsoil scores are on top. Don't forget the Ea oil filter too.

Signature Series 100% Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil (AZO)
NOACK Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D-5800) 7.8

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
ive been using castrol gtx 5-20 along with stp oil treatment..fl820s filter...(cheapest at walmart)

mine is a stock dd ...

i have 1 more change to do than ill be at 300k..guess the oil is doing its job

vipergts281

Established Member
Going from the above post, guess either a 20 or 30 weight is fine.

Because I have been using Mobil 5W-30 from day one along with the stock Motorcraft filter. Change it every 5,000-7,000 miles. 6 quarts every time. I just pour in the 6 quarts and put the cap back on. I don't even bother measuring.

Over 144,500 hard miles on my car.

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Don't waste your money on AMSOil, Red Line, or Royal Purple their product doesn't justify the extra price.

Get on bobistheoilguy.com if you want to learn about oil. Pennzoil Ultra seems to be about the best deal going right now and it's only $25 for a 5 quart jug at Wal-Mart. Run 5w-30, put 7 quarts in NOT 6, change it by 3000 miles the first time.

Hey Jimmy is it true that RP puts purple dye in their oil?

Last edited:

nickstang545

Established Member
Everybody has different opinions on oil. Me personally i have ran Mobil 1 5w-30 Full synthetic in every 99-up vehicle i have owned. I run it in my girlfriends pt cruiser, my cobra with 77k, and in my 99 f250 5.4 with 291,000 on the clock. My family are firm believers in Royal purple, they put RP in everything including their lawn mowers. If RP makes it i guarantee my dad and uncles use it. They even claim MPG and HP gains in their diesels with RP. I run nothing but Amsoil in my dirt bikes. Heck if you ask me oil is oil just keep it changed., I was just always told a Fram oil filter is a Big NO NO!, so i always run Motorcraft.

Last edited:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I run Mobil1 5W30 and a Fram X filter.. have 95K on the 03 Cobra and 135K on my 01 Explorer.. both run like champs, don't burn a drop of oil and I'll stick with that formula..

oh, also change the oil at 10K miles in both vehicles..

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Don't waste your money on AMSOil, Red Line, or Royal Purple their product doesn't justify the extra price.

Get on bobistheoilguy.com if you want to learn about oil. Pennzoil Ultra seems to be about the best deal going right now and it's only $25 for a 5 quart jug at Wal-Mart. Run 5w-30, put 7 quarts in NOT 6, change it by 3000 miles the first time.

Hey Jimmy is it true that RP puts purple dye in their oil?

Yes it's true, :eek: just like ATF has red dye in it and some lubes use blue dye. Does that solve some kind of mystery for you? How did you think it got to be purple?

BTW What are your expert credentials to say that those three highly successful synthetic oil company's products are not worth the price? Opinion? Experience? Lab analysis? Or Bobtheoilguy forum posters testimony?

I hope you realize that the BOBtheoilguy forum is just as full of BS as any other forum on the internet, and the misinformation is abundant. 75% of the active posters are just some guy on the internet who thinks he knows all about oil, because he reads that forum. It takes some serious weeding out to pull any good info reliably from most forums on the internet.
There are a few really good Tribologists posters there, and then there are the rest. [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribology]Tribology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Users who are viewing this thread