Deciding between P.P S550 or 03/04 Cobra

08mojo

Established Member
The biggest disadvantage with a na coyote compared to the Terminator is its lack of low rpm torque. Even more so with the GT350 FPC set up too..... I drive my brothers 335 BMW and it feels faster and more zippy in daily driving.... But my Boss can destroy it every which way. But in a quick spirited drive, the 335 feels faster.

That is a good point between the terminator and s550. It is certainly easy to make the s550 put down the same power numbers as the terminator. However, the terminator will always feel like you are going faster. Goes back to the point of a raw and aggressive experience versus one that is more refined.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I won't add much... The obvious answer is out there. The Cobra will probably be a better toy... Unless it is as a serious road coarse car. You mentioned taking driving courses, which is why I bring it up. For HOUSE and other similar stuff you might be better off in the newer car.
I love my Cobra, absolute thrill to drive and that is what matters most to me.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Taking a new edge platform is foolhardy versus the New Gen...
Not really, more like preference. I would agree if he were buying a daily driver... But it is a toy. That said, Cobra depreciation isn't a thing right now. On the other hand, like every other GT, the prices will tank for years to come. I don't like watching my money burn.

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
not exactly but sort of like choosing between a sick modded 68 camaro that hauls ass and handles/stops great. vs a brand new Camaro SS. lots of guys will take the old school muscle car over brand new car. and vice versa. a new camaro ss will feel like a bently compared to a 68 no matter how nice you make it lol. and for the most part will run circles around it unless you dump a ton of $ into it. these are opposites sides of the spectrum and terminator/S550 are much closer to each other than 68 and 17 camaros, but just to sort of extrapolate the differences.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Taking a new edge platform is foolhardy versus the New Gen...

for a weekend toy, what about a guy who wants to buy a 68 fastback? would you say, ah just get a 17 5.0 and call it a day. even if he wants the 68 to be bone stock, and the S550 will be better in every tangible way.

it depends on the buyers intended plans with the car.

Gary Macomber

Established Member
I didn't think of this but very true. I ran into this same thing. It wasn't a big deal because I had some money saved but the best I could do (Banks wouldn't touch it, only a credit union and I have excellent credit) is a 16k loan on a car I paid 20k for. They told me that's what it was worth and all they'd loan. Understandable on an old car but yeah this is sound advice and something to consider
Try JJ Best Banc, they specialize in financing older/rarer vehicles and understand values a bit better than the typical credit union.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Not really, more like preference. I would agree if he were buying a daily driver... But it is a toy. That said, Cobra depreciation isn't a thing right now. On the other hand, like every other GT, the prices will tank for years to come. I don't like watching my money burn.
I see you have a Viper and Cobra, have you driven the 11-14 or 15+ Coyote 5.0 to give an assessment versus a New Edge?
Mine is a little different platform than the Terminator (99 Centri Cobra) I'm bored with that car it sits in my garage, even with all the power I've driven it maybe 1000 miles in the past 2+ years. I've given some thought to selling it.
I see what your saying about it not being a daily driver, I just like my Coyote A LOT Better than the 2 New Edges i've owned..

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
for a weekend toy, what about a guy who wants to buy a 68 fastback? would you say, ah just get a 17 5.0 and call it a day. even if he wants the 68 to be bone stock, and the S550 will be better in every tangible way.

it depends on the buyers intended plans with the car.
I agree Steve for a toy... Hell I had a 72 Z28 during my 1980's high school days, built 400 sm blk, Muncie M-22,4.11's. Thinking about it now that car wasn't in the least bit refined but damm what a blast in straight line spurts...

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
The only obvious solution if its possible would be to have both! In a couple years if you'd like, sell the one you don't like as much. Or just keep em both.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
OP said it won't be stock...so clearly a S550 with a roots blower and piss on the Cobra with it outdated interior/creature comforts.

You guys are comparing a SC car to a NA car. Compare apples to apples at least. You can't gawk at the instant torque of the Cobra and find that as a flaw with the S550. Put the same mods into the S550 then compare them. This isn't a "what car is best bang for the buck" or "I want 500hp the cheapest way possible between Cobra and S550". All things considered in terms of creature comforts/potential I'd go S550. S550 is more of a "I want my cake and eat it too". Cobras will be flawed with interior rattles etc from the cheap interior. I've owned 3 new edge cars, not ragged out and under 100k mi and they rattled/cheap feeling. But enough sound deadener etc anything can be fixed LOL

Also, pass on NAV. Unless it is out of this world amazing image quality, that's what your phone is for IMO. I couldn't justify the added cost of NAV. I don't travel much, but when I do I just look it up online before I leave and have my phone if needed. Wife and I looked into 2016-17 Subaru Imprezas with NAV...no thanks. I have no clue if a Mustang NAV would be much better or not.
What compare apples to apples? Well then the terminator should up the cubic inches and compression. People like you crack me up.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Hello everyone! :)
I would love to hear from some of you guys who had/have a 03/04 cobra and now own a s550 or vice versa. I have owned a couple new edge mustangs and love the styling, my latest was a bolt on 04 mach and after it sold I started looking for a terminator. However last week MotorTrend, BFGoodrich and Ford flew me to the Ford Racing school in Utah to race/train, after slinging the new s550 platform around the track I'm torn between what to buy. The car would not be a daily, only driven for fun/trips, would not be left stock (warranty, whats that :D)

Any input would be appreciated!!

- Jared Edwards View attachment 92584
Unless you're gonna make the Cobra a garage queen get a new car. The thing is almost 15 years old. It is a classic, but it'd be a weekend toy for me.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
Sucks for you people that don't have good credit unions. 125% of NADA on any vehicle I ever though about buying through my CU. They were willing to give me $20,200 when I was looking at refinancing mine.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Different cars for sure. Having owned several 03-04s in the passed and having driven any s550 GT I'd take the GT if i was going to drive it a lot and the terminator if it were a car I drove 10-20x/ year. The new 5.0 makes retard power modded and so does the terminator but the driving characteristics of the s550 and the comfort is far superior to the terminator. Not to mention interior looks and ergonomics. It's nice to have the shifter in the right spot and a clutch that doesn't feel like you're doing leg presses when you depress it.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I see you have a Viper and Cobra, have you driven the 11-14 or 15+ Coyote 5.0 to give an assessment versus a New Edge?
Mine is a little different platform than the Terminator (99 Centri Cobra) I'm bored with that car it sits in my garage, even with all the power I've driven it maybe 1000 miles in the past 2+ years. I've given some thought to selling it.
I see what your saying about it not being a daily driver, I just like my Coyote A LOT Better than the 2 New Edges i've owned..
Yes I have driven a Coyote, but not the new 15+ cars. Maybe I should go try one out but I am not really in the market for a car because I am happy. I drove my Cobra 20 miles last year and my Viper several hundred. I keep my cars as toys currently, I play when I can. I'm not bored of either, and I don't want to get rid of my Cobra despite having driven it so little... I'll drive it more when I can.
This is a personal question really, about what an individual values in a car. I don't value technology, or even comfort. I like the history of Cobra, and just think it is one of the coolest Mustangs ever built... that means more to me than some gadgets and refinement.
The other side is, I am the kind of guy that likes my driving experience to be raw. It reminds me of what I am doing. I don't want it to feel like I am going to get milk. That was the appeal of the Viper to me... it feels raw, like I am ready to race.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Boom! Head shot.

Yes I have driven a Coyote, but not the new 15+ cars. Maybe I should go try one out but I am not really in the market for a car because I am happy. I drove my Cobra 20 miles last year and my Viper several hundred. I keep my cars as toys currently, I play when I can. I'm not bored of either, and I don't want to get rid of my Cobra despite having driven it so little... I'll drive it more when I can.
This is a personal question really, about what an individual values in a car. I don't value technology, or even comfort. I like the history of Cobra, and just think it is one of the coolest Mustangs ever built... that means more to me than some gadgets and refinement.
The other side is, I am the kind of guy that likes my driving experience to be raw. It reminds me of what I am doing. I don't want it to feel like I am going to get milk. That was the appeal of the Viper to me... it feels raw, like I am ready to race.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member

Don't forget to wear a golf glove on your shift hand when you race

mnetwork

Established Member
I was literally in this exact boat a few months ago. Had to decide whether I was going to keep the Cobra (and mod further) or get a Whipple'd s550. Wound up putting a VMP TVS 2.3 on the Cobra and keeping it. It is a hard choice because both have their positives and both look very sharp in the right color. The Cobra will always be more unique, but both can be at the same power level with the similar mods. There is something to be said about comfort. I fixed two issues that drove me insane in the Cobra. No Bluetooth and a bad shifter position. Changed the handle and modded the stock head unit for built-in Bluetooth. I am much more comfortable now.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread