Dodge Challenger SRT Demon

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Edit: site acting funny, this was in reply to Zemedici's post

not really, and i see your point. heavy, fi cars like these are not at all ideal for running hard on road courses. and automatics are definitely great for the drag strip, straight line highway blasts, and most "normal" driving situations (in traffic, etc).

but everything is a compromise, isn't it? these big street cruisers are still meant to be enjoyed on public roads, and there will always be a nice highway on-ramp or canyon chicane that's just begging to be taken at speed.

so my point is that no matter how much folks say that manuals transmissions have become or will become obsolete, i don't think that they ever will, because there is no way mechanically to duplicate the same driving experience with an automatic.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
Edit: site acting funny, this was in reply to Zemedici's post

not really, and i see your point. heavy, fi cars like these are not at all ideal for running hard on road courses. and automatics are definitely great for the drag strip, straight line highway blasts, and most "normal" driving situations (in traffic, etc).

but everything is a compromise, isn't it? these big street cruisers are still meant to be enjoyed on public roads, and there will always be a nice highway on-ramp or canyon chicane that's just begging to be taken at speed.

so my point is that no matter how much folks say that manuals transmissions have become or will become obsolete, i don't think that they ever will, because there is no way mechanically to duplicate the same driving experience with an automatic.

Very true, but it all depends on the style of racing.

Auocross / road racing no.

Drag strips / half mine - manuals are already obsolete

Sirhc7897

Established Member
NICE!!!
I bet that would work killer. I wonder why I've never heard of it till the Demon?
I "assume" many people don't use something like this?

I've had one sitting on my bench for almost 8 months waiting for me to get the nerve to hack into the cooling system on my hellcat to install it.

They were really popular on the terminators and lightnings. For some reason they didn't catch on as well with the GT500's but the guys that did run them have promising results.

There's a thread over on the hellcat board where a guy has been essentially being the install guinea pig. It's a real PITA to install on the hellcat looks like. So far he's consistently seeing about 20 degree cooler IAT2 temps which is pretty good...

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

V8Flexin

Established Member
I was debating the killer chiller vs VMP triple pass HE. One side you adding heat to your ac system and could over load your ac system with heat on a road course or extended hard driving. On the other side you spend a lot of money for iat2 temps 10-30 degree's ABOVE ambient which is not good for Texas heat. I went with the killer chiller and glad I did. I see IAT2 temps 10-30 BELOW ambient in heat with the factory HE installed. Only other negative is my cabin ac performance is reduced.

Sent from my PURE XL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I've had one sitting on my bench for almost 8 months waiting for me to get the nerve to hack into the cooling system on my hellcat to install it.
They were really popular on the terminators and lightnings. For some reason they didn't catch on as well with the GT500's but the guys that did run them have promising results.
There's a thread over on the hellcat board where a guy has been essentially being the install guinea pig. It's a real PITA to install on the hellcat looks like. So far he's consistently seeing about 20 degree cooler IAT2 temps which is pretty good...
I'll have to check out the thread as I'm a member over there as well.
Thanks!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
NICE!!!
I bet that would work killer. I wonder why I've never heard of it till the Demon?
I "assume" many people don't use something like this?

Probably because the Killer Chiller has traditionally been a supercharged Mustang thing. The Killer Chiller has been around for ages. The drag kit was released 3 or 4 years ago. Dodge was probably inspired by the Killer Chiller drag kit.

I can't understand why most of the GT500 guys around here are so against it. All of us that do have one rave about it. It costs about the same (or less) as an aftermarket HE w/ fans but provides vastly superior performance over any HE w/ fan system out there. However, most of the GT500 owners here still opt for the HE w/ fans. It's probably the fear of cutting into the A/C lines. It's an unwarranted fear, though, because it's easier to link into the A/C lines than it is to splice into the electrical system. And there's more danger in an HE fan relay failure than a Killer Chiller failure. If the KC fails, you just don't have A/C in the car anymore until you repair the leak. If an HE fan relay fails, you could end up with a total electrical system failure or your car being burned to the ground.

Zemedici

Established Member
Probably because the Killer Chiller has traditionally been a supercharged Mustang thing. The Killer Chiller has been around for ages. The drag kit was released 3 or 4 years ago. Dodge was probably inspired by the Killer Chiller drag kit.

I can't understand why most of the GT500 guys around here are so against it. All of us that do have one rave about it. It costs about the same (or less) as an aftermarket HE w/ fans but provides vastly superior performance over any HE w/ fan system out there. However, most of the GT500 owners here still opt for the HE w/ fans. It's probably the fear of cutting into the A/C lines. It's an unwarranted fear, though, because it's easier to link into the A/C lines than it is to splice into the electrical system. And there's more danger in an HE fan relay failure than a Killer Chiller failure. If the KC fails, you just don't have A/C in the car anymore until you repair the leak. If an HE fan relay fails, you could end up with a total electrical system failure or your car being burned to the ground.

Imo its all the horror stories we've seen and read online about the KCs not working as described / not fitting / etc etc. that wards a lot of potential customers away. Granted that could be blamed in incompetent installers, etc etc. But, that would be my guess.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I've only seen one bad story from that one guy on here who bought a prototype stand-alone unit that didn't work as advertised. I did a ton of research before I bought mine. The main complaints that I saw were from the Lightning and Cobra guys that stemmed from the inadequate cooling system in those vehicles back then.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
Imo its all the horror stories we've seen and read online about the KCs not working as described / not fitting / etc etc. that wards a lot of potential customers away. Granted that could be blamed in incompetent installers, etc etc. But, that would be my guess.

IMO a big part of it is Kincaid himself. I've spoken to him a few times (nice enough guy) but definitely doesn't necessarily instill confidence in what he's got going on when you speak to him...

Then you've got multiple stories out there of the guy basically disappearing when it comes to customer support (I've been on both ends of that spectrum with him. He was readily available for questions when I was debating purchasing one for my hellcat but when I was considering purchasing one for my GT500 I couldn't track that dude down via phone or email for anything, multiple messages and emails with nothing)...

I won't even get into his installation instructions (or lack thereof)...He'd be better off just not sending anything and just labeling the connections on the chiller (I mean seriously...my 3 year old with a box of crayons could make comparable instructions)...

I think the part is (or has the potential to be) great but the "support" leaves a bit to be desired....

It's certainly not in the same league as if you ever have a question on a part or need some support from VMP, JLT, etc...

In the case of the Hellcat one the install appears to be a nightmare...
-Do you recharge with the very expensive (and not that great) 1234 refrigerant
-If switching are you gonna switch to 134 or the r12a and do you (or the shop you're using) have the correct adapters
-Apparently you have to remove one of the aux heat exchangers to make it fit (nothing about that in his install notes)
-the plumbing is way less straight forward on the hellcat system than the Shelby/ford systems
-it seems the IC pump on the HC is variable speed (may not matter but so far no one has made any 1/4 passes to compare pre & post trap speeds or even dyno'd...or if they have they aren't posting it up for public consumption)

Again, it's a great idea (and proven on the Ford applications for sure) but it's still a little early in the game on the Hellcat platform to be jumping off into unless you want to take quite a bit on yourself to make it work properly and to its greatest potential...

I'm curious to see what the Demon system consists of before I bite the bullet on my KC...At this point it's just sitting waiting for the bugs to get worked out as, while I appreciate others willingness to guinea pig their $70k cars, I'm not planning on being one of them...

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
2018 Dodge Chanllenger SRT Demon review:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...ge-challenger-srt-demon/ar-AAoqnVi?li=BBnb4R5

To me, this was one of the most impressive statements in the review:

"Despite an air temperature firmly in the 80s and roughly 50 percent humidity, none of the handful of Demons present needed so much as a cool-off period despite continuously making run after run for several hours — and this after being subject to this form of abuse for several days over the course of a week."

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...ge-challenger-srt-demon/ar-AAoqnVi?li=BBnb4R5

"Despite an air temperature firmly in the 80s and roughly 50 percent humidity, none of the handful of Demons present needed so much as a cool-off period despite continuously making run after run for several hours — and this after being subject to this form of abuse for several days over the course of a week."

But it can't swing corners.......

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The thing that turns me off about the killer chiller is the fundamental fact that you have to run the AC for it to work.

Every car i have ever owned loses a considerable amount of horsepower once the AC is turned on. Enough to more than FEEL the drop in power.

Has anyone done back to back dyno or drag strip testing of a fanned H/E vs. the KC on the same car?

I cant imagine the horsepower difference between the two is much more than negligible.

But ive been wrong plenty of times before so who knows i guess.

I will say i love my AFCO!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Look at the wheelie they were able to pull... Damn.

Such a bad ass machine.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
The thing that turns me off about the killer chiller is the fundamental fact that you have to run the AC for it to work.

Every car i have ever owned loses a considerable amount of horsepower once the AC is turned on. Enough to more than FEEL the drop in power.

Has anyone done back to back dyno or drag strip testing of a fanned H/E vs. the KC on the same car?

I cant imagine the horsepower difference between the two is much more than negligible.

Most cars AC turns off under WOT.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

I'll put it to you like this. I was driving my GT500 one time and forgot to "turn on" the Killer Chiller. Car felt like a dog compared to normal, and I didn't understand why. Looked down and turned on the A/C. About 20 seconds later, it felt like I picked up 100HP.

Users who are viewing this thread