Dyno Results- Boss Intake Manifold to Cobra Jet Intake Manifold

kodexkustoms

Established Member
Unless its a real Boss, when TiVCT is optimized we find the Boss IM GT's peak at 6500-6700 like stock, but don't fall off as fast.
Real Bosses make peak power at 7500, but I have not seen a GT do it unless TiVCT was not modified.

Shaun do you think I would see a better gain going to a CJ mani on my boss?

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Congrats on the upgrade man, getting me excited for my setup, mine is in route as we speak. Looks like across the board a full Bolton cj's with a good tune seems to be at least 450whp car SAE, bc my shop just had a guy put down 453 on a custom 4.5" tube, a dual 65mm tb on 93 pump..

My setup will be a smoothed manifold, dual 65 and 01bluesnake's custom 4.5" cai. Hoping for mid 450-460 on pump and try and shoot for 470 on corn. Though it sucks u did t make much peak, I wish u had a e85 vs 91p overlay to show the midrange gains

I think u would definitely break the 460 mark with a custom or frpp's intake, that's probably the only minor restriction to this setup.

Yea I knew from smokegreyhatch's results that the 2010 JLT CAI was a restriction and a possible 10rwhp~ gain. I would like to purchase 01bluesnake's CAI its a very nice piece and shaun talked highly of it. Just going to wait a little while and run this setup for right now.

Makes sense, so if the GT is making power to ~7500rpm (boss intake) does it usually mean the TiVCT is adjusted, but it's actually not ideal? Leaving power on the table or?

Just because the hype with these intakes is power til ~7600rpm, so I was just confused.

Regardless though... Car made great power. Very impressive. Get back to the track Thomas!

Yea my goal is to do a back to back testing maybe something like 3-4 runs then swap to the Boss intake and get 3-4 runs in at the track. Im happy it is 450rwhp+ that was my goal but in the end its just a dyno number.

So if I am reading this right you gained roughly 15 hp over the Boss setup?

Yea about 15rwhp~ over the boss setup, I would've liked to see more but I was going to post the results no matter what they where. I see this mod and only an all out N/A build mod or someone that has not purchased a boss intake manifold. Just spend the little extra and buy this one instead.

-Thomas

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Love to see this manifold connected to a Paxton/ Vortech. I assume since there's an adapter for the boss intake one can be made for the Cobra jet!

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Love to see this manifold connected to a Paxton/ Vortech. I assume since there's an adapter for the boss intake one can be made for the Cobra jet!

I believe the head unit is actually in the way if you use the cobra jet intake. The procharger units could most likely be made to work though.

-Thomas

Shaun@AED

Shaun do you think I would see a better gain going to a CJ mani on my boss?

So far we have not seen an SCJ IM/TB setup make less than a Boss IM at any point in the RPM band.

I think the SCJ TB and large CAI are key here. Manifold to manifold I don't see much difference in the SCJ vs Boss.

corysmach1

Established Member
So far we have not seen an SCJ IM/TB setup make less than a Boss IM at any point in the RPM band.

I think the SCJ TB and large CAI are key here. Manifold to manifold I don't see much difference in the SCJ vs Boss.

Thats what I am seeing....would you recommend 01bluesnakes custom 4.5" CAI with a SCJ TB and ported Boss IM? I have a ported Boss IM now and love it. I am also tuned by you on E85. My goal is 460rwhp and I know I will need longtubes with above combo to get there.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Thats what I am seeing....would you recommend 01bluesnakes custom 4.5" CAI with a SCJ TB and ported Boss IM? I have a ported Boss IM now and love it. I am also tuned by you on E85. My goal is 460rwhp and I know I will need longtubes with above combo to get there.

You cant put a scj tb on the boss intake.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Congrats, great numbers for using a JLT CAI. I'm waiting for my SCJ T body to come in, then going to set up logs with Shaun and move over to the AED side. I can't imagine how nice these cars move at 450+whp n/a, looking forward to see some track times.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Congrats, great numbers for using a JLT CAI. I'm waiting for my SCJ T body to come in, then going to set up logs with Shaun and move over to the AED side. I can't imagine how nice these cars move at 450+whp n/a, looking forward to see some track times.

Yea im happy with the numbers. I just keep it in my head that they are just numbers. The car flat out hauls in the upper rpm range.

Ill have it back out to the track hopefully at the end of the month or first part of oct.
Im still thinking about picking up one of your cai's also for that extra bump.

Blazer707- Is your Cobra jet IM ported? I cant temember.

Not ported, just smoothed out the casting lines that looked like the grand canyon and the injector bosses.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Man great report, blazer

Got me rethinking my mod list now...

Thanks man.

I just wanted something to put out there cut and dry. Leave it up to people to decide for themselves with the info. Next will just be track results.

Also nice with the bolt ons that most people have around here anyways.

twistedneck

Established Member

What are your thoughts on running the same larger CAI and oval TB with the MMR Intake? That way if we want to upgrade to FI in the future we don't need another $800 purchase :)

Not sure if the MMR has any other weakness vs. the Cobra jet, but there is that removed bung section from the cobra jet that nothing else seems to have.

Users who are viewing this thread