EDP Turbo kit install has begun

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd also check your wastegates. they shouldn't be seeing anything but boost, so they can only be looped in somewhere in the charge pipe system. aka tapped IC, charge pipe, etc. but post turbo, pre throttle body.

i had an issue with one of my precision gates, check there first.

As soon as you apply any amount of throttle the wastegates will snap shut with the reduced vacuum even if you have them plumbed post throttle body.

That of course assumes 20" of vacuum will open them which I doubt it would.

Shouldn't matter.

Unless the gates are stuck open I don't see them being an issue.

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
I'm running a 3.5" DP.

my issue with the gates took me a long time to hunt down. it was essentially allowing boost to escape from the bottom side, to the top (which would add pressure) and force the gate to stay more closed, which allowed the car to see more boost than it should have been making, at that setting.

I'm not saying that this is his issue, simply that precision gates suck.

the wastegates should never open, until they see X amount of boost. there wouldn't be a 'snap shut' scenario, because they wouldn't open until they reach whatever he has his spring pressure set at, if his boost lines are plummed properly.

if I were the him, id check and see that my BOV was seeing boost and vacuum (via brake booster or vac block), and that my gates, and MAP sensor to my boost controller were only seeing boost. that's all i'm saying. best place to boost reference would be post intercooler, pre throttle body.

i'm not an expert, but i just don't see these issues because I have the same kit, and made good power, with no boost drops at high RPM.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Agree 100%. I was only aiming to eliminate the gate plumbing as the problem. Although not the best way to run the lines, I can't see post throttle body plumbing causing the issue.

But who knows.

jassoom55

Established Member
I deleted the post for another reason but believe me the kit and the engine was professionally installed and to make sure I took it to another shop to check everything, I changed the vacuum line twice, change both wastegates and now change bov did 3 boost leak test, but I do have the regular 3" down pipe from edp with electric cutout, and I just orederd 3.5" dumped down pipe. and btw I have tried 3 different reputable tuners. but Im gonna keep trying to see what exactly is the problem lets see how it goes with bigger and dumped down pipe. but according to Danny at EDP he has that down pipe on his and he will send me one for free and I appreciate that and then gonna put it on the dyno again to see how it goes. Im not blaming the shop or anyone, problems and mistakes always happen, and Danny is helping me to solve the problem. so after I install that down pipe I will update. but just to let you know I did not delete my post because I screwed something, I checked everything once, twice and even more before I write anything here. I know what Im doing.

JTS_7

Established Member
^ Have you tried speaking with Sai @ ForcedMotorsports?

Also did you ever check the fire ring in the gate? Have you tried different gates?

MRSUPRA

Established Member
Boost dropping form 12 to 7 psi is definitely a problem somewhere. But not a design problem.

I looked at one of the dyno graphs on EDP's facebook page and it does show some power falling off after 6500rpm. But that car was making over 1000rwhp and the 76mm turbo was probably starting to run out of steam at that point.

Last edited:

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
since the previous guy deleted his post:

if your boost is dropping from 12 to 7, it's likely that you've screwed something up with your vacuum lines during the install.

i have an EDP kit with a large open DP, and dont see issues like that, or power drop off.

best to not blast a shop, if you screwed up an install. IMO.

BP issues will cause boost to fall off at higher rpm. Because it falls off does not mean there is an issue with the kit.

Quad4_72

Established Member
So the updated numbers are in. 738rwhp @ 6950 rpm and 732 torque. As you can see from the dyno run, there is no power drop off or back pressure issues. Unfortunately, at this particular dyno place which I am not happy with, they were not able to print off the dyno sheet and they did not provide psi. I will have to get the dyno done again, but still I think the numbers are good. I am happy with it. I also had Danny install my BMR UCA/LCAs.
Turbo Dyno Run.jpg
Updated underhood pic.jpg

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Interested to see a proper graph. Would be first ever EDP kit that does not fall on its face.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
actually it looks like you have two seperate runs there. Both are HP numbers. One is not torque.

Quad4_72

Established Member
actually it looks like you have two seperate runs there. Both are HP numbers. One is not torque.

Oh wow looks like you are right. I feel stupid now and extra pissed at this dyno run. I should know better I should have looked closer. I will be making some phone calls. This is unacceptable if you ask me. Everyone take note of All Performance Garage. Don't use them if you are in the Colorado Springs area.

Last edited:

JTS_7

Established Member
5252/0 however you see it just saying.......

#sae #smoothing

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread