Ford to cover trade-in difference for a new vehicle...maybe.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Since we purchased our (new) 2016 Explorer back in January of this year, its currently at the Dealer for the 3rd time comcerning reoccurring issues, and issues that weren’t even looked at. The biggest being the infamous Ecoboost loss of power where it falls flat on its face for about 2-3 seconds when quickly pulling out into traffic. It’s happened 3 times to my wife but never throws any codes. The dealer did finally uncover hundreds of “braking during acceleration” codes in the ECU.

Long story short, as of right now we are not pursuing lemon laws, and Ford hasn’t offered a buyback option, but the dealer has been in contact with them regarding our issues. We’ve been speaking to the Service Director and Manager on a regular basis and the dealer is pushing for Ford to cover the trade in difference on a new vehicle of a similar MSRP with no transaction costs to us.

So as I wait for final word, I’m curious if anyone else here has been in a similar situation and what was the outcome?

My understanding is that I will need to apply for a new vehicle loan (at the same current amount that we own), but I am also waiting on word from Navy Federal Credit Union as to wether or not they will do a collateral swap on my current loan. (Which I highly doubt). Getting a new loan won’t be an issue by any means, it’s just the principle of having to go through the process and adding a hard inquiry to my credit report.

Thanks.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i own the same vehicle. i thought it was the drive by wire that caused the hesitation in acceleration. i does drive me nuts. i step on the gas and it pauses and then jumps forward like KITT from Knight Rider.

we love ours but have been thinking of selling it to get a suburban. we're outgrowing the explorer lol/yikes

BRNG ITT

Established Member
i own the same vehicle. i thought it was the drive by wire that caused the hesitation in acceleration. i does drive me nuts. i step on the gas and it pauses and then jumps forward like KITT from Knight Rider.

we love ours but have been thinking of selling it to get a suburban. we're outgrowing the explorer lol/yikes

Exactly. I’ve done quite a bit of research on this and there are numerous claims of possible fixes (some of which Ford actually issued as TSBs). Everything from over efficient CACs that collect condensation and oil vapors sending them into the intake under high acceleration, to the throttle body replacement. I have the upgraded CAC with the “block plate”, and the updated TB, but still have the issues. And it only seems to happen when you are turning the vehicle and accelerating from a stop or low speed. That combined with the “brake during acceleration” codes that I mentioned before lead me to believe that it has something to do with stability or traction control. With so many similar stories it baffles me that Ford doesn’t have a handle on this.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I dont buy the CAC issue for your issue, I had that in my 12 F150. That situation causes a severe misfire - flashing CEL etc... and it takes a bit to blow that water out and be back to normal.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
I shut traction control off when I'm driving around town for just this reason, the momentary hesitation when trying to pull into traffic, and this is on my Raptor.

So it seems to be a common problem.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Never heard of this issue. Have had a 11 SHO and a 13 Xsport. Maybe it's Fords factory tuning, as both were Livernois tuned from the outset.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
I dont buy the CAC issue for your issue, I had that in my 12 F150. That situation causes a severe misfire - flashing CEL etc... and it takes a bit to blow that water out and be back to normal.

Quite a few 2011+ F-150 owners with this problem have drilled 1/32” or 1/16” weep holes on the bottom of their CACs and claimed that it fixed the issue. After seeing videos of what comes out when they do so, I don’t totally dismiss it.

Never heard of this issue. Have had a 11 SHO and a 13 Xsport. Maybe it's Fords factory tuning, as both were Livernois tuned from the outset.

Same here, never had these issues on our ‘13 Sport.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Quite a few 2011+ F-150 owners with this problem have drilled 1/32” or 1/16” weep holes on the bottom of their CACs and claimed that it fixed the issue. After seeing videos of what comes out when they do so, I don’t totally dismiss it.
I've read a lot on the f150 forums about this working. Ive never had an issue with mine, but if I do then I'll drill, baby drill

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Is this issue showing up on Edge Sport 2.6 EcoBoosts? I've had my '16 Sport for 10 months and haven't had any hesitation issues.

Myusername

Established Member
I tried this week to do that 3 oil pan replacements on my 16f150 2.7. Dealer offered normal trade in which doesn't help me. Ford gave me a case number and I will probably be persuing lemon law.

beau t

Established Member
i was able to lemon out a 04 expedition the wife was driving , she did not want another ford per the rules involved - it had to meet or exceed the MSRP of the existing vehicle ---- thats how i ended up with a mystic cobra!!!! yea for me. the dealership we worked with was awesome at getting this taken care of, but this was back in 04 so i can't say how the process works now. best of luck if it comes to this!

nxhappy

Established Member
first off, the plugs do not last long at ALL. We are talking 10-15k miles. It's a DI motor so they get burned out fast. You need new plugs, NGK or motorcraft.

Secondly, you NEED a catch can system. The PCV system has tons of oil/gas/buildup inside. This also ruins the plugs and the valves. The catch can will help this problem tremendously.

I would first start with the plugs. Do a battery reset, unplug it for an hour, hook it back up. Then report back.

nxhappy

Established Member
also, the 15-16 CACs are re-designed, they will not collect sludge like the older models. Therefore you do not need to drill. The best remedy is a 3 valve catch can system, that plugs into the cold side and hot side on the intake system.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
also, the 15-16 CACs are re-designed, they will not collect sludge like the older models. Therefore you do not need to drill. The best remedy is a 3 valve catch can system, that plugs into the cold side and hot side on the intake system.

Had a JLT catch can on for only a few hundred miles before taking it back to the dealer, and the can was bone dry; not even a film. Did replace the plugs at the same time too with stock MC and better gap. The bog down happened on the way to the dealer after getting gas.

Thank you everyone for all of the details and reply’s thus far.

On the way to the dealership for a face to face with Service Director.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
For those of you that are curious, here is the response I got back from NFCU. Other financial institutions may have a similar policy:

If a manufacturer deems a vehicle defective or a "lemon," we have a process that permits our members to change the tangible collateral. Our Consumer Lending Team evaluates all Change of Collateral (COC) requests. The following are the requirements for this request:
  • A new credit bureau report is not necessary.
  • No alterations are made to the term, interest rate or payment amount. Accounts must be in good standing with no current delinquencies.
  • Proof of collateral, such as a title, bill of sale, etc., must currently be on file.
  • Properly signed promissory note must currently be on file.
  • The collateral offered must meet the 125% Loan to Value (LTV) requirement.

nxhappy

Established Member
Had a JLT catch can on for only a few hundred miles before taking it back to the dealer, and the can was bone dry; not even a film. Did replace the plugs at the same time too with stock MC and better gap. The bog down happened on the way to the dealer after getting gas.

Thank you everyone for all of the details and reply’s thus far.

On the way to the dealership for a face to face with Service Director.
The JLT can is not the right can. You need a three valve can that draws from both cold side and hot side. Trust me ALL ecoboost engines have oil and sludge in them. You just have to get the right set up. Have you recently checked your plugs?

BRNG ITT

Established Member
The JLT can is not the right can. You need a three valve can that draws from both cold side and hot side. Trust me ALL ecoboost engines have oil and sludge in them. You just have to get the right set up. Have you recently checked your plugs?

I’m planning on getting the RX catch can for the new vehicle.

I just replaced the plugs about 200 miles ago with OEs. The old ones looked decent; no carbon tracking. They did vary in gap between .036” and .040”.

nxhappy

Established Member
hmm interesting. Maybe something is wrong with the stock tune. Usually the hesitation/lag is fixed with plugs. Possibly a coil is faulty. Regardless I wish you well with your new car venture !

ArabianOak

Established Member
wow...my wifes 10 passenger t150 has the 3.5 ecobeast and never had any issues like this with 30000 miles. we bought it new. wondering why some models have this issue and others don't.

Users who are viewing this thread