Ford to resurrect "SVT Cobra" name in 2015, go naturally aspirated...

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Won't be a V8 but there will be an Ecoboost available in the new Mustang.

MNCobra

Established Member
what about the aluminator motor? same motor going in the 2014 Roush stage 3...after a tune and cai its pushing 675-700hp...if they say the 5.8 wont fit I would guess this will be the possible replacement....

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Or some of us long for the higher revving, NA, DOHC engines SVT used to make. If the new mustang weighs significantly less then the current car, 550 NA HP would be great.

Cool - buy a Boss.

The rest of us long for a big power engine that we can bolt some parts on to and make even bigger power. :burnout:

MysticRob

Established Member
Don't forget Ford has stated multiple times they're trying to pull a couple hundred pounds out of the car so it won't need to make as power to stay competitive. Ford's R&D budget is huge so I can see them beating this reduction #. I've also read multiple times in C&D, Motor Trend, etc, that the Trinity engine will not fit in the new chassis so they must be going a different route to maintain power/weight ratio, etc, to keep the new car competitive with the old one. Definitely looking forward to seeing the new car!

I stole this info off the 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum News Blog – Mustang6G forums...

[1 of 2] Mustang Chief Engineer Talks Current Mustang and Next Gen (2015 Mustang S550) - YouTube
Video 1 of 2:
[2:25] - Discussion of paddle shifters for the next Mustang.
[4:00] - CAFE/CO2 regulations - "A Mustang without a v8 is like an Apple product without design" (Pericak agrees)
[8:20] - In discussing the sequential tail lamps in the 2010, Pericak says his goal is to push the aftermarket aside.
[11:35] - Unique paint colors for certain future special editions, use of tri-coat paint.
[12:48] - Exporting the Mustang, entry into the European market.
[13:40] - Possible performance (turbo) diesel variant for the next Mustang. Pericak states that Ford is studying it and his reaction says it all.

[2 of 2] Mustang Chief Engineer Talks Current Mustang and Next Gen (2015 Mustang S550) - YouTube
Video 2 of 2:
[Begin] - Competition: Camaro (engine, noise level, visibility etc)
[2:10] - Competition: Challenger SRT-8
[4:30] - Pericak says he is on a "crusade" to make the next Mustang lighter. Believes 200lbs is within reach.
[6:00] - "Mustang is not standing still, Camaro's gonna have to chase me."

assasyn

Established Member
Isn't it time for a new model all together? Something to compete with the Vette that isn't the GT-500 or the Ford GT?

jsonic

Established Member
I'm probably the only one but I hope they don't use "SVT cobra" I just don't want ford to overproduce and ruin such a great legacy the SVT cobra created back in 02.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
You guys do know that they put foam and things under the cover to throw the shapes and curves off the car. So what you are seeing might not really reflect what's actually under there.

w3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Established Member
They are dropping the 5.8 I believe. It is now older technology and the new motor will be using a larger Coyote footprint. The 5.8 is just a bored 5.4. Id like to see to 6+ liter Cobra (if they stay NA), or a twin turbo car.

Wicked Fairlane

Established Member
not happening. would get ass handed to it by the srt and the zl1 ,are there any more? they say the 5.8 is too tall for the new body . I cannot see the 5.0 lay down 500 ponies.it has got to have more liters to the motor and or blower .the end

how about you get out of the house and quit reading magazines and living on the iNet all day. If manufacturers were making 800+ hp with 1.3L turbo engines over 30 years ago, imagine what they can do with a 5.0L V8 these days. Besides, everyone thinks it's all about HP but if the new Mustang comes in at 700lbs LESS than the ZL1 and R/T or whatever Mopar has these days, then it will surely hang. Not only that, I see people bitch about the new model cars when they themselves will never ever buy one.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
how about you get out of the house and quit reading magazines and living on the iNet all day. If manufacturers were making 800+ hp with 1.3L turbo engines over 30 years ago, imagine what they can do with a 5.0L V8 these days.

lol at what cost did it take to make 800+hp with 1.3L of displacement?

You see what they can do with 5.0L. Roughly 400-450hp in current trim. They can likely make more, but at what cost to the consumer? You want a 600hp 5.0L Mustang revving to 10k that costs the same as a low end Ferrari?

Besides, everyone thinks it's all about HP but if the new Mustang comes in at 700lbs LESS than the ZL1 and R/T or whatever Mopar has these days, then it will surely hang.

How about keeping the current motor as is (650hp 5.8L SC'd) and STILL removing weight? How more insanely awesome would that be than to still get the weight reduction but a reduction in output? If it aint broke, don't fix it. What, are they gonna neuter 100-150hp to drop 100lbs? Not worth it IMO.

Not only that, I see people bitch about the new model cars when they themselves will never ever buy one.

Maybe they would never buy one because the bitching is what they dislike about the particular model? If I bitched about how a car was designed, im pretty sure it means I wont buy it either.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I'm thinking a 5.8L. Also it doesn't need to have a supercharger/turbo.. it only had forced induction for two years. The Coyote can make power naturally aspirated unlike the 4.6. :kaboom:

Two years?? The top Mustang has been blown since 2003 and still is to this very day. The GT500 is just a continuation of the Cobra. I hope they stick with forced induction.

Last edited:

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
If Ford continues with the GT-500 for 2015 and beyond, it would not be unfathonable for an SVT Cobra (or Boss 351) fitting in between the 5.0 GT and the GT-500, power wise. If that would mean a Cobra/Boss with approximately 500hp, they could do it N/A and let the GT-500 continue to be the ultimate street killer that it is. And with less weight (hopefully), both the Cobra/Boss and the 5.0 GT would still beat on the Camaro SS.

I sincerely hope they do not produce a Cobra and a GT500 at the same time. If they are going continue on with the GT500 name then that is all there should be on the top shelf. If they make a Cobra to be between a 5.0 and a GT500 that will kill the Cobra name for me. That would be a huge mistake if Ford did that as it would ruin the Cobra name that has been built over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread