Ford to resurrect "SVT Cobra" name in 2015, go naturally aspirated...

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If the 2015 SVT doesn't have boost from the factory, I would venture to guess the 2013/14 cars will hold/increase in value much better than expected.

Ryan12

Established Member
goosebumps...

Next SVT Mustang may axe Shelby name, go naturally aspirated - Autoblog

Following our first glimpse at the 2015 Ford Mustang out on the road, the fine folks at Road and Track have divulged some details on what the Blue Oval's next pony might have in store. We've already seen that the car will get some very sleek, Evos-inspired design cues, and an independent rear suspension is indeed in store. These new details, however, concern the muscle car's beating heart.

For starters, the base Ford coupe is expected to carry on with V6 power, likely from the same 3.7-liter unit found in today's car. From there, R&T says the next step up will be a four-cylinder EcoBoost engine, likely displacing 2.3 liters, putting out as much as 350 horsepower. Of course, a Mustang wouldn't be a Mustang without V8 thrust, and R&T states that the 5.0-liter Coyote V8 will continue on into the 2015 car, making something like 450 horsepower.

But it's at the high end of the Mustang range where things will, reportedly, get very, very interesting. Road & Track claims that the top-shelf 'Stang will likely lose the supercharger from its engine, producing a metric crap-ton of naturally aspirated grunt instead. Additionally, the SVT-fettled Mustang will likely be dropping its Shelby moniker, in favor of "a name you're familiar with," according to the magazine (you know, like, Cobra).

Look for the camouflage to come off before the end of this year.

EDIT: Here is the latest spy shots of the base V6:

004-2015-ford-mustang-spy-shots.jpg

Sorry to burst you bubble Shelby has already confirmed a future contract with ford about the Shelby mustang, it will continue on into the S550 body style and beyond. You can google it, although ford is considering bringing back the svt cobra as a lower end to the Shelby version for us guys who want the stock blower but don't want to pay $55,000 or more.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
Sorry to burst you bubble Shelby has already confirmed a future contract with ford about the Shelby mustang, it will continue on into the S550 body style and beyond. You can google it, although ford is considering bringing back the svt cobra as a lower end to the Shelby version for us guys who want the stock blower but don't want to pay $55,000 or more.

I think the model below the shelby will be called a boss s351 or svt cobra will prob carry on a 5.8 liter n/a motor prob around 500+hp n/a

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
besides engines....anyone else see an Audi nose on this thing? oh boy....:bash:

zpstang96

Established Member
Ill call it, I was right back in 2010 when I guessed for 2011 the base would be 300hp v6 and a 400+hp gt and 600hp shelby.

So I willguess now for the 2015+

Base v6 car will be around 320hp
ecoboost 4 cylinder car 350+hp

Gt 450+hp

boss 351 500+Hp n/a 5.8 v8

shelby / svt cobra will be 600+hp 5.0 liter twin turbo ecoboost or 5.8 liter twin turbo 600+Hp or they might just keep same 5.8 liter s/c being its already making 662hp. or 5.0 supercharged like the shelby gt350 powerplant was ;)

So many models and possibilities :rolling: this actually makes sense IMO. With you on this one!

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
I don't think its that unrealistic for ford to build a 550+ hp n/a engine. Imagine a high compression, direct injection, forged rotating assembly 5 liter that can get spun to the moon. Displacement can be made up for with high rpm and good air flow. Ferrari is doing it with their current 458 v8, I don't see why ford cant. (and no, i'm not comparing ford to Ferrari, just using them as an example of what can be done.)

I for one would love a ford dohc with a 8,500rpm redline from the factory :drool:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I'm thinking a 5.8L. Also it doesn't need to have a supercharger/turbo.. it only had forced induction for two years. The Coyote can make power naturally aspirated unlike the 4.6. :kaboom:

what are you talking about? the SVT Cobra/GT500 has had forced induction since 2003.. and if you think that 450/500 hp (where you'll find your 5.0 Coyote at for a naturally aspirated engine) is enough to play in the realm of the SVT Cobra/GT500/ZL1 Camaro world.. your NUTS!!!

lets see

03-04 Cobra 390 hp (yeah right)
07-09 GT500 500 hp
10 GT500 540 hp
11-12 GT500 550 hp
13-14 GT500 662 hp

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I don't think its that unrealistic for ford to build a 550+ hp n/a engine. Imagine a high compression, direct injection, forged rotating assembly 5 liter that can get spun to the moon. Displacement can be made up for with high rpm and good air flow. Ferrari is doing it with their current 458 v8, I don't see why ford cant. (and no, i'm not comparing ford to Ferrari, just using them as an example of what can be done.)

I for one would love a ford dohc with a 8,500rpm redline from the factory :drool:

550 hp would be down 112 hp from the outgoing car.. NO THANK YOU!! can you say a car that NO ONE would buy..

fangstang

Established Member
yep, the Chevy boys have been tired of getting their ass whipped since 2003..

Or some of us long for the higher revving, NA, DOHC engines SVT used to make. If the new mustang weighs significantly less then the current car, 550 NA HP would be great.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Or some of us long for the higher revving, NA, DOHC engines SVT used to make. If the new mustang weighs significantly less then the current car, 550 NA HP would be great.

Which motors were those?

You long for the day that the top ford Mustang tier barely kept up with the base v8 Camaro offering? A day where ford was fighting pr battle due to false/low hp claims?

I don't.

Forced induction or bust. NA is for mid level cars.

cobracrazee

Established Member
MGC
03,04, and the Shelby motors are all forged that's why you don't see them blown to pieces. They can actually take lot of beating. Try to put a blower on the ZO6 and run 12lbs of boost, see how long you can keep it together. That's why GM is using a forged LS3 for theire ZR1. Not the LS7. My Corvette tuner refuses to boost a LS7. And this guy is known in the Corvette community. You can boost about 5 to 6lbs. But I wouldn't

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I been saying for a while they will likely resurrect the cobra name, but its really a wait and see game. Now for the engine, NA motor for the top tier car? I don't know about that...I figured a twin turbo 5.0 would be the ticket

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If Ford continues with the GT-500 for 2015 and beyond, it would not be unfathonable for an SVT Cobra (or Boss 351) fitting in between the 5.0 GT and the GT-500, power wise. If that would mean a Cobra/Boss with approximately 500hp, they could do it N/A and let the GT-500 continue to be the ultimate street killer that it is. And with less weight (hopefully), both the Cobra/Boss and the 5.0 GT would still beat on the Camaro SS.

The big question that still remains is whether or not Ford will carry on with the top dog GT-500 (making 650hp+). If the GT-500 doesn't continue into 2015, then Ford would be making a big mistake limiting the "new" top dog Cobra to around 500hp, N/A. Forced induction of some sort would be needed and wanted, and I just don't believe Ford is going to lay down and let Chevy take over, performance wise.

For now, we're left with rumors, conjecture and a wish list. It's going to be an interesting year as we await the true facts to emerge.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
We're gonna hear so much crap between now & then, I will wait until I see official releases before I make judgement.

MGC

Established Member
MGC
03,04, and the Shelby motors are all forged that's why you don't see them blown to pieces. They can actually take lot of beating. Try to put a blower on the ZO6 and run 12lbs of boost, see how long you can keep it together. That's why GM is using a forged LS3 for theire ZR1. Not the LS7. My Corvette tuner refuses to boost a LS7. And this guy is known in the Corvette community. You can boost about 5 to 6lbs. But I wouldn't

I hear ya on the LS7 part, my point about the 03/04 and Shelby motors though is even though they are built tough and for boost I have still seem A LOT of them blown up because people push them too far, bad tune, dropped a valve, etc. The way I look it is if it's a more efficient motor N/A it will simply make power with boost (granted if it has powder metal rods and high compression it won't be very reliable in boosted form)

Users who are viewing this thread