Ford to resurrect "SVT Cobra" name in 2015, go naturally aspirated...

fangstang

Established Member
Either way 2015 is gonna be interesting. It's speculated that the 6th gen Camaro will be built on a much smaller RWD platform, possibly the same one as the ATS which weighs 3300-3400 lbs in sedan form. It's a safe bet they'll use a version of the LT1 for the SS model too.

It is gonna be built on the ATS chassis which has received rave reviews and has beaten BMW at their own game of chassis feel, cohesiveness, and steering response. If the luxury ATS comes in at 3400lbs, I think the new camaro's will be just as light if not lighter. A 3400lb Camaro SS with a LT1 making 450hp will be a potent car.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
How will 550hp happen from 5.0L? :lol1: Ford put on CNC ported heads, a revised intake, more aggressive cams, and a gay special tune unlocked with a different key all for another whopping 25hp. 475hp MIGHT be possible, or even 500hp in a $70K budget busting car. But 550hp from a naturally aspirated 5.0L? :kaboom:
LOL the butthurt is strong with this one.

Ha you're probably one of the ones that doubted ford could even make 440plus hp out of a 5.0. Time will tell what really happens, but I bet you're going to sh*t your pants again. Ford wont disappoint. :pepper:

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
....Displacement can be made up for with high rpm and good air flow. Ferrari is doing it with their current 458 v8, I don't see why ford cant. (and no, i'm not comparing ford to Ferrari, just using them as an example of what can be done.)

I for one would love a ford dohc with a 8,500rpm redline from the factory :drool:

1)There's a post in here that is worth bookmarking for its accidental correctness.

2)I stick to my recommendation that if you're a really big fan of the overall 13/14 GT500 package, than you should buy one now.

Good call PBI.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Also, should note, the reason this post was so correct is because a Ferrari California was being used as a benchmark for the new FPC (front engine, FPC V8).

....Displacement can be made up for with high rpm and good air flow. Ferrari is doing it with their current 458 v8, I don't see why ford cant. (and no, i'm not comparing ford to Ferrari, just using them as an example of what can be done.)

I for one would love a ford dohc with a 8,500rpm redline from the factory :drool:

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I like it. Ford did a great job with it.

Id love to see this car stay where its at and have them focus on a "Ford GT" like sports car to compete with the vettes, vipers, and other exotics.

This will handle the competition just fine for now.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Can't see how Ford would do this with a N\A motor, everyone is going with smaller displacement and super chargers or twin turbos these days. Displacement is displacement, but cutting out the super-charger on the 5.8l and you don't really have anything impressive at all, same on the 5.4l. In the world of N\A displacement is king. Chevy\Dodge reign supreme there.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Can't see how Ford would do this with a N\A motor, everyone is going with smaller displacement and super chargers or twin turbos these days. Displacement is displacement, but cutting out the super-charger on the 5.8l and you don't really have anything impressive at all, same on the 5.4l. In the world of N\A displacement is king. Chevy\Dodge reign supreme there.

Huh?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

Um, this is a completely new platform that not many know much about yet. Let's just wait and see.

LS2GTO

Established Member

Clearly their target is not the ZL1 or the Hellcat, more so the M3s, 1LEs, Z28s of the world which are more track oriented cars than straight line speed.

In that regard, more power is not always better and N/A is a wiser choice than forced induction.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
I'll never buy another Ford after they had both a 550 hp Cobra and a 650 hp GT500 concurrently!"

Foreshadowing from last year? 5.2 to be 550? lol. Thx for posting here. Always fun to read.

I want this car but I think I'll have to wait. Everyone in the country should start eating more potatoes so I can justify this car...

Users who are viewing this thread