Found this on another site,..................transmission option !

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Found this on ( www.themustangsource.com ) this morning,.....( 02/25/2022 )

Flappy Paddle Haters Rejoice! 6-Speed Manual Conversion for 2020 Mustang Shelby GT500 Is Intriguing​

By Joe Kucinski - February 24, 2022
HPJ Performance 6-speed manual

Some claim that Ford not offering a 6-speed manual in the GT500 is a sin. HPJ Performance atones for that sin.​

There is not much to complain about with the current generation Ford Mustang Shelby GT500. It is the best handling Mustang ever and packs a 760-horsepower punch. However, if there is a nit to pick it is that it lacks a 6-speed manual transmission option. Ford wanted the GT500 to be as quick as possible on a drag strip and around a road course. And if you are looking for the absolute quickest times then you need an automatic dual clutch transmission. So, Ford installed a 7-speed TREMEC dual clutch auto, and a traditional three pedal manual was sacrificed in the name of speed. The tradeoff for the additional quickness is the loss of enjoyment that comes with driving a manual. Ford doesn’t even offer it as an option. If you want a new GT500 you are getting an automatic. But things are about to change.

GT500

Ford is not changing their mind but the folks at HPJ Performance will make your 6-speed manual GT500 dream a reality. They have recently announced the release of their new 6-speed manual conversion kit for the 2020+ GT500 platform. And this kit contains a lot more than just the transmission. All the parts are included to make this look and perform like it came from the factory. So, your excuse for not buying a GT500 until it had a proper gearbox is no longer valid.

Kit Contents​

GT500

The transmission is a TREMEC T56 Magnum XL with an SFI-rated bellhousing and SFI-rated flywheel. You also get a Ford factory pedal assembly and a Ford center console with a leather or suede shift boot to further enhance that factory look. New Ford hydraulics, an upgraded driveshaft, a new transmission cross-member and poly bushings are also included. Custom calibration for the new transmission, and a new factory speedometer and a TREMEC 6-speed ball shifter round out the package.

Upgrade Options​

6-speed manual

If the TREMEC ball shifter is not good enough for you an MGW shift ball is an available upgrade. There are also various clutch options that you can choose from depending on how you plan to use the car and how much power you ultimately expect to make. And while not an upgrade per se, the customer gets to retain all the original factory parts. So, you can either keep them to include with the sale to the next owner or for yourself if you ever want to switch back someday. Or you can sell your original parts and likely recover a significant portion of the expense involved with the 6-speed manual swap.

Who Wants a Slower GT500?​

Shelby GT500

Sure, stock for stock a 6-speed manual GT500 is going to be slower than a 7-speed dual clutch auto. First off, who cares? Sometimes pure speed is not the sole criteria for enjoyment. Rowing your own gears in a car that will still be plenty quick can be more fun than an automatic getting you to the next light .4 seconds quicker. But here is the best part. The HPJ Performance 6-speed manual conversion kit will work with any of their other performance packages. That includes their top tier twin turbo package that puts out 1,200 horsepower at the wheels. So, you can have a manual transmission and still be faster than a stock automatic GT500. That is why the phrase win-win was invented.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice option for those who really want a manual in their '20-'22 GT-500. How much is the package, installed?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I say people with money should hop on it.

Last edited:

q6543

Established Member
I'd love to meet the folks who step up to drop 20 grand and make they're gt500 slower than everyone else's... by ALOT.

Alex did a whole show on this... I still don't get it.

Last edited:

Badaz01

Established Member
19k that’s insane. I did the swap in my 01 cobra for 6k. Besides in a car with that much power the auto it comes with will out last the t56.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Psh, $19k to go slower. Genius.
THIS!
Only the most serious about a 3-pedal late model GT-500 would even consider this swap for that very reason. That's crazy. But a few with a fat wallet will jump into the water.
Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
THIS!
Only the most serious about a 3-pedal late model GT-500 would even consider this swap for that very reason. That's crazy. But a few with a fat wallet will jump into the water.
Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

If they were smart, they'd jump right back out.
qbDlp8.gif

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
The MT is usually the cheaper option. With the GT500, you need to buy the AT first, THEN swap it out for the MT.

Papaw

Established Member
If we find out that those really expensive automatic transmissions are not designed to last very long and they start failing post warranty the AT guys will change their tune.
Hopefully they are built to last.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ive never sold a DCT but skimming the article says selling your stock DCT etc... would almost offset the price. Screw that

It would be reasonable IF there was a company out there buying old stock for 80% of value or something.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
When folks are buying a 100k Mustang, then giving a dealer 10-20k free money for the “opportunity“ to buy one I don’t see 19k being a problem to actually make said car fun to drive…
I’d rather pay 20k for a transmission swap vs lining a greedy dealers pockets.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
When folks are buying a 100k Mustang, then giving a dealer 10-20k free money for the “opportunity“ to buy one I don’t see 19k being a problem to actually make said car fun to drive…
I’d rather pay 20k for a transmission swap vs lining a greedy dealers pockets.
Have you driven one with the DCT?

Sent from my Potato

Users who are viewing this thread