Group buy: Killer chiller kit ?

2000txsvt

Established Member
There were at least two variations of this design that were considered in the development of this product. I'm curious if those features are those still available?

One that provided for bypassing the factory heat exchanger in the bumper. This would be needed once intercooler water temps got close to ambient temps to avoid sweating and loosing heat to the outside air. This could be easily added later with some simple solenoid valves for the coolant water since it doesn't involve the refrigerant lines.

One that had a valve(s) on the refrigerant line that allowed you to bypass the evaporator for the AC. I personally would like to have the option to chose whether the refrigerant ran through the AC alone, the KC alone, or both the AC and KC in series as is the current configuration.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
ive got a few ICey Res kits for Lightnings ready to ship out right now. our unit doesnt cut up your factory a/c lines and ours includes a LARGE resevoir that holds lots of chilled liquid.

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
There were at least two variations of this design that were considered in the development of this product. I'm curious if those features are those still available?

One that provided for bypassing the factory heat exchanger in the bumper. This would be needed once intercooler water temps got close to ambient temps to avoid sweating and loosing heat to the outside air. This could be easily added later with some simple solenoid valves for the coolant water since it doesn't involve the refrigerant lines.

One that had a valve(s) on the refrigerant line that allowed you to bypass the evaporator for the AC. I personally would like to have the option to chose whether the refrigerant ran through the AC alone, the KC alone, or both the AC and KC in series as is the current configuration.

I do not know about the Evap bypass. But I know a few have pulled there H/E out and put an insulated resevoir in its place.

the ambient temp is almost always warmer than the KC, so any air flow thru the H/E is just counter productive. It's warming back up the fluid. Easiest fix, go get a piece of plexi glass and zip tie it to the front of the H/E. now no air is passing thru it heating up the charge and its now pretty much just a big resevoir.

Here's a video of my Killer Chiller in action. this gauge is linked to my I/C resevoir, I'm running the stock I/C.

If you run the larger tanks, obviously it will disapate heat faster. Also my lines are not insulated which lowers the temp even more. I'll be doing that while my motor is out of the truck.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Ql84-iz6I"]YouTube - Killer Chiller Temp test[/ame]

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
here's our latest rendition of our ICey Res unit. its the same size as your BATTERY and fits right in that location. of course, if you dont want to relocate your battery, you can use our original unit that mounts in place of your windshield washer resevoir OR the remote unit that mounts behind the front bumper.

ive got 3 of the battery units left and a few of the remote units.
batteryboxL.jpg

SVTbatteryboxMedium.jpg

IMG_8286Medium-1.jpg

]
IMG_8283Medium-1.jpg

IMG_3650x.jpg

come on guys. support an SVTP vendor. i pay a LOT of money to be here to provide good products to you guys :poke:

right now ive reduced the price of what i have left in stock!

i will match or possibly beat (if i can) any KC GB pricing they can offer if you guys wanted to set up a GB for our ICey Res. :beer:

pitstain

I love appetizer samplers
Established Member
For anyone considering this mod, let me say that it is more than worth it, I was one of the first few Lightning owners in the country to install the kit, with the specific intentions of running the piss out of it on a road course to see how it coped with sustained high levels of boost, many people said it would not work, even Joe was cautious to say it would work for sustained high speed running, but the proof is in the pudding, and with the Killer Chiller running my IAT2 temps were reduced by 30* for entire 25 minute open track sessions.

Not to mention you can drive around in 90* weather and your truck still responds like it does on a cool fall day.

And the install of the Killer chiller required ZERO CUTTING of the factory A/C lines, I still have my stock liquid line 100% intact at home.

Last edited:

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
Between Shaggys video and the countless vouches.. I'm ****ing sold a thousand times over.

My truck is a DD street truck in the good ole stupid hot southwest. When you're sitting in traffic looking at the temp being in the high 90's and low 100's, having IC fluid temps at 68-74* has to be awesome. And since it doesn't really get that much colder than 60* out here except for maybe 2-3 months out of the year, once in a decade... Yeah :)

If my truck were for drag, I'd go the icy res route though no doubt.

MayfairSC

Established Member
I do not know about the Evap bypass. But I know a few have pulled there H/E out and put an insulated resevoir in its place.

the ambient temp is almost always warmer than the KC, so any air flow thru the H/E is just counter productive. It's warming back up the fluid. Easiest fix, go get a piece of plexi glass and zip tie it to the front of the H/E. now no air is passing thru it heating up the charge and its now pretty much just a big resevoir.

Here's a video of my Killer Chiller in action. this gauge is linked to my I/C resevoir, I'm running the stock I/C.

If you run the larger tanks, obviously it will disapate heat faster. Also my lines are not insulated which lowers the temp even more. I'll be doing that while my motor is out of the truck.

YouTube - Killer Chiller Temp test

How effective is it in ensuring that you never blow an engine??

Do you keep yours on all the time?

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
There is no effective solution to never blowing an engine. It's all in the components used to build the block, the tune, and preventive maint. that will help stop that.

The Kc will stop timing from being pulled. I had high IAT2 temps. I got a KC and now my IAT2 are below my IAT1 temps, lol....

I have hot lapped my truck 3 times back to back instant runs, and all runs were within 1/10th of each other in the 1/4 mile. so its consistent.

My friends would sit in the pits, load up ice, have fans running, I would just turn my A/C on, wait 30 seconds, and off I go.

It runs all the time while your A/C is on. so if your A/C is off, then its not going to be running the KC.

Now if its cold out and you want to run the KC still, all you have to do is turn A/c on, hit defrost, and turn the dial up to hot instead of cold. the A/C compressor will stick kick on, thus making the KC run.

I was able to go as high as 17* timing with 93 octane tune and no detonation. I wouldnt of dreamed of trying that without the KC on.

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
Shaggy

How much difference do you think it would make blocking off the HE like that?

The reason I ask is, I like cruising with the windows down and A/C off quite a bit. I mean.. I guess I could leave it on all the time, but I don't always like having cold air blown in my face lol.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
our unit doesnt cut up your factory a/c lines and ours includes a LARGE resevoir that holds lots of chilled liquid.

Once again, passing along mis-information about the competitions product... excellent way to conduct business :nonono:. Perhaps you should thoroughly research the competition before trying to discredit them :shrug:. I did my research (as should all potential buyers) and I have no doubts I made the right decision. KILLER CHILLER FTMFW :rockon:!!

To any potential KC/IR customers... do your homework considering both the product and the customer service. There are countless threads about both products on the Lightning forums (SVTP, NLOC and L-Rodder).

pitstain

I love appetizer samplers
Established Member
Shaggy

How much difference do you think it would make blocking off the HE like that?

The reason I ask is, I like cruising with the windows down and A/C off quite a bit. I mean.. I guess I could leave it on all the time, but I don't always like having cold air blown in my face lol.

I'll take this one,

I have run the KC with my HE blocked on the street and highway, and the performance is quite incredible, specifically IC fluid temps in the area of 50-60* on a 90* day while cruising down the highway.

On the road course I run with the HE uncovered, but I also run a stock HE.

The KC is also a much safer mod to run on the truck than the icey res when it comes to AC compressor life.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Once again, passing along mis-information about the competitions product... excellent way to conduct business :nonono:. Perhaps you should thoroughly research the competition before trying to discredit them :shrug:. I did my research (as should all potential buyers) and I have no doubts I made the right decision. KILLER CHILLER FTMFW :rockon:!!

To any potential KC/IR customers... do your homework considering both the product and the customer service. There are countless threads about both products on the Lightning forums (SVTP, NLOC and L-Rodder).

so youre saying that the KC didnt have to cut up factory lines before? and there is no cutting now? i just read their installation instructions on their own website and it plainly states you must cut the factory a/c lines. what misinformation is that? who's the one who's really trying to discredit here hmm? me? since all i mentioned was that you must cut the a/c lines, or YOU who typed up a long nasty post about me and our products, and continue to follow me around and post your crap? :kaboom:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
The KC is also a much safer mod to run on the truck than the icey res when it comes to AC compressor life.

as i stated in the other thread, ac compressors are designed to last a looong time. the guy who builds these for me started making these years ago, well before the KC ever came out. people have been using them on their trucks without fail ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread