Group buy: Killer chiller kit ?

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
I'll take this one,

I have run the KC with my HE blocked on the street and highway, and the performance is quite incredible, specifically IC fluid temps in the area of 50-60* on a 90* day while cruising down the highway.

On the road course I run with the HE uncovered, but I also run a stock HE.

The KC is also a much safer mod to run on the truck than the icey res when it comes to AC compressor life.

I read somewhere about having to change the AC charge. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to AC systems, I just know that the ones on these trucks are freaking over powered for the size cab we have. Is there anything particular to note about refridgerants and the relationship to IC temps and how COLD cold your A/C will still operate at when you actually want it to be cold in the cab?

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I've been keeping up with this thread and others like it. The biggest con if it's true is you have to alter the a/c lines with the KC. I have friends who can help me with that. No big deal. I also have two locals that have the KC and it's awesome. I'm not saying the icey res is not as good but that's my personal opinion.:read:

This thread is about the KC group buy though. Keeping on topic, i have the money ready if the group buy goes down. I was hesitant about the a/c line stuff but i talked to my bud and he will help me so no biggie. I will also need to look into getting a reservoir that takes place of the washer fluid. One of my buds has it on his L. It's a big aluminum box with a neat little opening thing. It holds more coolant so that would be good for me to have, especially in our wicked summers.

Last edited:

pitstain

I love appetizer samplers
Established Member
I read somewhere about having to change the AC charge. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to AC systems, I just know that the ones on these trucks are freaking over powered for the size cab we have. Is there anything particular to note about refridgerants and the relationship to IC temps and how COLD cold your A/C will still operate at when you actually want it to be cold in the cab?

The charge level is based on low side pressures, once the proper charge level is attained yu will have plenty of cold air in the cab, there is no real trick to it and any AC tech worth his gravy will have it working fine.

I've been keeping up with this thread and others like it. The biggest con if it's true is you have to alter the a/c lines with the KC. I have friends who can help me with that. No big deal. I also have two locals that have the KC and it's awesome. I'm not saying the icey res is not as good but that's my personal opinion.:read:

This thread is about the KC group buy though. Keeping on topic, i have the money ready if the group buy goes down. I was hesitant about the a/c line stuff but i talked to my bud and he will help me so no biggie. I will also need to look into getting a reservoir that takes place of the washer fluid. One of my buds has it on his L. It's a big aluminum box with a neat little opening thing. It holds more coolant so that would be good for me to have, especially in our wicked summers.

There is no cutting of factory lines, the install of the KC is a bolt in.

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
After reading about both kits, I have decided that KC is the one I want. I just have one question.

I would be running this on factory internals and block with a 4lb lower pulley. My tune is pretty conservative at 393/445 IIRC. Since this mod would be like driving in the winter as far as air charge temps go, would I be safe running this in 80+ degree weather?

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
so youre saying that the KC didnt have to cut up factory lines before? and there is no cutting now? i just read their installation instructions on their own website and it plainly states you must cut the factory a/c lines. what misinformation is that?

Steve... here's a point of contact for Kincaid Performance (www.killerchiller.com). Give Joe a call and he'll get you all straightened out on the installation of his product. FYI... I spoke with him about two weeks ago. The kit has been revised (for a while now) making for an easier installation and no-longer requires cutting of any factory lines. Yes, before the revision one of the lines was spliced. I wasn't too concerned with having to do it though, I can assure you I have had to make more severe alterations to factory components over the course of modding my truck.

or YOU who typed up a long nasty post about me and our products, and continue to follow me around and post your crap? :kaboom:

I don't so much have issues with the Icey Reservoir, just your sales tactics and business practices. You're probably a swell guy on the personal level :shrug:. I usually don't endorse one product over another, but I always try to give members my honest opinions in as much of an unbiased manner as possible. The "crap" you're referring to are points I think are important for others in the Lightning community to consider before making a purchase.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member

The KC kit has been revised so there is no cutting of the factory line required. An aftermarket reservoir isn't necessary... a larger IC reservoir is nice in that it will take to coolant longer to heat up during a WOT blast or if the the A/C is turned off, but one benfit of the OEM reservoir is that the coolant cools more rapidly.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
After reading about both kits, I have decided that KC is the one I want. I just have one question.

I would be running this on factory internals and block with a 4lb lower pulley. My tune is pretty conservative at 393/445 IIRC. Since this mod would be like driving in the winter as far as air charge temps go, would I be safe running this in 80+ degree weather?

Yes.

Ross600

Established Member

Cody, I ordered my KC after I helped Matt install his... I had to have one!

FordFanStan

Established Member
Count me in as well Stan.....would be nice to get this done during my build

Oscar

Dont worry bud, yours' was already ordered approx a week ago. I cannot wait 'til your truck is done, I bet money it is going to put many others to shame. Hell me and you are going to battle it out between the stroker v. big bore wars bud haha. Very soon my friend, very soon. FFS

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
so youre saying that the KC didnt have to cut up factory lines before? and there is no cutting now? i just read their installation instructions on their own website and it plainly states you must cut the factory a/c lines. what misinformation is that? who's the one who's really trying to discredit here hmm? me? since all i mentioned was that you must cut the a/c lines, or YOU who typed up a long nasty post about me and our products, and continue to follow me around and post your crap? :kaboom:

New kit does not require it. My kit did require cutting two lines. I am not a mechanic by any means, I'm a computer dork for gods sake. And I installed the kit with a friend in under one hour without a hitch.

You have the right to defend your product, at the same time, why would you post up your product in a group buy post for another product? And you wonder why you got attacked???? This was not a KC vs IR post, there are tons of those. This was for a group buy. :shrug:

That would be like JLP posting up a group buy for a motor, and then PSI coming in and posting up there own motor in that thread.......... Hopefully you see where I'm coming from, I'm not trying to "personally" attack you. just pointing out the facts, nothing but the facts. :beer:

Shaggy

How much difference do you think it would make blocking off the HE like that?

The reason I ask is, I like cruising with the windows down and A/C off quite a bit. I mean.. I guess I could leave it on all the time, but I don't always like having cold air blown in my face lol.

All depends on ambient temp outside. If the temp is colder than what the KC is running, no need to block it off. Even if the ambient temp is close you probably dont need to block it off. now down here in florida where its 94*, yea helps a ton blocking it off. Think of it like this..... holding a hair dryer up to my Heat exchanger while I drive, or turning it off, lol....

Also an aftermarket H/E hurts the system, more surface for hot air to pass thru and warm the KC charge. Better off running a stock H/E.

Turn A/C on, so KC is running. turn dial till the temp coming out the vents is the same temp as air temp. then you wont even know its on.... I did that during a cold front.

Hit the defroster on, turned the air temp dial till I could not notice the difference in temps. and away I went, KC running and no A/C in my face.

Hope that helps.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
New kit does not require it. My kit did require cutting two lines. I am not a mechanic by any means, I'm a computer dork for gods sake. And I installed the kit with a friend in under one hour without a hitch.

You have the right to defend your product, at the same time, why would you post up your product in a group buy post for another product? And you wonder why you got attacked???? This was not a KC vs IR post, there are tons of those. This was for a group buy. :shrug:

That would be like JLP posting up a group buy for a motor, and then PSI coming in and posting up there own motor in that thread.......... Hopefully you see where I'm coming from, I'm not trying to "personally" attack you. just pointing out the facts, nothing but the facts. :beer:

well lets see, maybe because im an authorized vendor on this forum and i would like to sell some of our products. i started out merely offering up some of the leftover kits i still have. if KC was a vendor on this forum, i wouldnt post in this thread. i wouldnt even post in it if it had been started by FFS. it was just a GB interest check started by a member and i merely offered to unload some of the ones i still have. i dont post in competing authorized vendors' threads :bored:

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
Did not know KC was not an Authorized vendor here.

If you were interested in a group buy, why not start your own thread? That was my only point....

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Did not know KC was not an Authorized vendor here.

If you were interested in a group buy, why not start your own thread? That was my only point....

im thinking about it. im also discussing it with Stan. i posted in that thread to see if i could unload any of these kits i have sitting here right NOW or if there was any interest in a possible GB. the OP already contacted me about buying up one of the kits i have sitting here :beer:

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
No worries m8.
Thats why in my original post I said:
"Hopefully you see where I'm coming from, I'm not trying to "personally" attack you".

Never wanted you to think I was bashing you or your product, thats not my style.... :)
congrats on the sale to the OP.

2000txsvt

Established Member
svt4svt
I'm am a completely independent observer and had say something.
I don't see how your product and the KC are anything alike. Sure both cools the intercooler coolant but that where the similarities end.

It's like comparing nitrous system to a blower setup. Each create power but do so in completely different methods. Somebody may prefer the nitrous because of the greater potential while someone else may prefer to always have the power available and not have to refill bottles. Very much a similar situation as the comparison between your product and the KC.

Please be respectful to others on this board. I personally would like to learn about both products but this particular thread was about the Killer Chiller, and my opinion of your posts in this thread is that you were somewhat unprofessional.

Please Continue your discussion however you deem appropriate in the comparison thread. Maybe you can sell me on your product, but you must sell yourself too.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
2000txsvt... both products cool the IC coolant using the A/C refrigerant. It doesn't get much more similar although how its accomplished varies. A more appropriate analogy would be to say that one is a Roots S/C and the other is a twin screw S/C :-D.

Users who are viewing this thread