Heat Exchanger Musings (and what not)

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
It'll be coming up on a year since I picked up an Afco H/E from Justin at VMP, as well as his larger capacity "OE look" reservoir. Now that I have the new version of the supplied wiring harness, I'm a bit more motivated to get on with the install.

I'll try to take a more detailed look than usual, as well as a few sidebar items that I'd like to address. As with most anything I add to my '09, if it isn't plated, painted, or coated, I make sure that it has some type of protection. Fresh aluminum starts to oxidize quickly so I wanted to make sure that I had something placed onto the core tubes where they enter the end "tanks" if you will. I figured while I was at it that I'd give the entire assembly a quick clear coating as well. That meant the fans would come off.

IMG_8650.jpg

There are four stainless allen head machine screws that need to be backed out (per fan).

IMG_8653.jpg

Almost every one was loose. Upon reassembly, I'll add a dab of blue Loctite to each. Having nothing in the way, I also got the opportunity to give the H/E a more thorough inspection. I wanted to be sure that there weren't any defective welds or cracks. While there didn't appear to be any, I'd give the gentleman that did the work a "B" on the grade scale. The Tig welds looked good enough for production and function but they weren't the absolute best aesthetically. To some that matters a great deal, as it shows a much steadier hand, albeit a bit more time consuming. Anyhow, I coated the core, end tanks, paying specific attention to where the bends were (bracketry) as well as the heat affected zone at any fusion point. That's where oxidation starts the quickest.

IMG_8655.jpg

I had an opportunity to do something here that I had seen done before. I've noticed that Van's assemblies are branded with either "C&R" or "SHELBY" in paint across the core face, a nice touch. Except mine is an Afco and I have no desire to advertise anything with the greedy Old Man's name on it. If I did, I'd be painting Bernie Madoff onto the core face instead. So in keeping with my SVT theme (note to Ford - HINT) I found an SVT logo on the web that I planned to use as a template.

_________________SVT2.jpg

I played around with the sizing in Photoshop and then printed off a few copies in various sizes. I quickly found that a simple 8-1/2" x 11" sheet of paper wasn't good enough. I taped two together to emulate a legal size and ran it through my trusty wireless printer. It worked.

IMG_8657.jpg

A few minutes of work with a utility knife and a fresh blade...

IMG_8658.jpg

IMG_8659.jpg

I centered the letters laterally but kept the horizontal centerline of the letters a hair lower than the horizontal centerline of the H/E. I figured that when you stand a few feet away it might be easier to see from the angle of one's eyes than if I were to place the template higher (thus requiring it to be captured from a lower angle or further away). We'll see if I was thinking right.

IMG_8660.jpg

IMG_8661.jpg

I held any part of the template that curled up down with a piece of tie wire.

IMG_8665.jpg

I think it came out fairly well. I hit it from different angles to cover each side of the cooling fins. I finished up by coating everything with clear.

IMG_8664.jpg

Voila!

I'll get to the meat of the install as soon as I can.

:sleeping:

Last edited:

DaFreak

Established Member
Nice work Tob (as usual).

I wish I could have provided this feedback earlier but the grille opening (at least on the 2010) favors the lower part of the HE. I did a stencil on mine too (GT500) and I found that starting from the 3rd or 4th row of fins from the bottom give the best view of the tag.

Here's a crappy pic:

Install.jpg

You can see in my sig that it centers up pretty good after the front clip is back on.

Anyways, good luck with the install.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Nice work Tob (as usual).

I wish I could have provided this feedback earlier but the grille opening (at least on the 2010) favors the lower part of the HE. I did a stencil on mine too (GT500) and I found that starting from the 3rd or 4th row of fins from the bottom give the best view of the tag.

Anyways, good luck with the install.

Touche!

I thought it favored the lower portion and it now looks as though I should have gone lower. We'll see if there is much difference on the '07-'09 cars.

Nice work!

RedlineHP

Established Member
I to waited a while to install mine (Van's) and did the same with removing the fans and used a high temp clear to protect it from the elements.

Glad I finally jumped in and did it, they are a great improvement on these cars.

Wish I could have passed along the lettering needs to be along the bottom of the H/E,hopefully it will show.
or do the whole cooler black and do silver SVT letters.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I wasn't going to do anymore work on this today - I wanted to watch Buffalo beat up on Oakland. It sure didn't start off that way so I went back outside to vent/calm down/ make further progress (but wow, what a game!).

I can't believe how light the front clip assembly was. I'm considering adding a removable tow hook and that's why the splash pan is laying there (as opposed to leaving it attached to the front clip). I wanted to a good look at available clearance between the bumper and the H/E as well as eyeballing where I could exit the lower front grille. Anyhow, maybe 10 minutes at most and I was here

IMG_8676.jpg

For how few miles I have I was surprised with the number of bugs embedded into the fins of the H/E, A/C condenser, and the top of the radiator. I'm considering some type of screening that won't be restrictive but will reduce the damn buggery.

IMG_8682.jpg

There was something I was itching to know about my car and it required taking a closer look at the bumper beam. Note the four holes on each side...

IMG_8688.jpg

Four bolts on the passenger side

IMG_8686.jpg

Four...make that three bolts on the driver side.

IMG_8685.jpg

That means only one bolt was holding the H/E bracket on the driver side. I had heard of others that had mentioned this as well. Ford assembly plant line supervisor(s) take note - it is high time to shitcan the UAW fatty that ain't doing his job. Hopefully job rotation doesn't have him leaving control arm bolts out or some other important fastener that was designed to be there.

Moving on, I kept hearing these voices in my head

Van said:
Just paint the whole thing black and go stealth...

Hmmm...

Bob said:
...do the whole cooler black and do silver SVT letters.

So, a quick run inside to print off a smaller scale SVT template. After slicing and dicing...

IMG_8706.jpg

Do you guys think this attempt was better?

IMG_8709.jpg

The bugs won't show up as bad - maybe. :mj:

I started to partially disassemble to H/E plumbing. I laid the larger H/E reservoir that I purchased from Justin next to the stocker to compare the difference in routing

IMG_8712.jpg

I also wanted to transfer the little warning sticker from the tiny stock reservoir to the larger one just to make it look "more" original. A few seconds with a heat gun and the transfer was simple

IMG_8710.jpg

I then slipped the larger reservoir into position. Having done some reading on the subject of these I knew I wanted to add another fastener to attach it to the radiator fan shroud. As much as every vendor that sells the reservoirs say that you only need one bolt to hold it on, I still wanted two. So I marked where a hole would need to be drilled and then removed the reservoir. Note the yellow drill mark

IMG_8721.jpg

After drilling I slipped the extra "nut" into place that I had picked up from my local Ford dealer.

IMG_8724.jpg

Here's a shot that shows the part numbers for the nut as well as the necessary corresponding bolt

IMG_8720.jpg

Nice thing about the bolt I show is that it is shorter than the other bolts that are used to hold the tanks down (it utilizes a larger head as well). There is plenty of clearance with the short bolt in place between the fan blades and the tip of the new bolt. New on left...

IMG_8729.jpg

Bolted in place to see how it'd look

IMG_8732.jpg

I'm enjoying the install portion of this mod so far and look forward to picking up where I left off. May not be anything for a few days though.:(

Van@RevanRacing

I wasn't going to do anymore work on this today - I wanted to watch Buffalo beat up on Oakland. It sure didn't start off that way so I went back outside to vent/calm down/ make further progress (but wow, what a game!).

I can't believe how light the front clip assembly was. I'm considering adding a removable tow hook and that's why the splash pan is laying there (as opposed to leaving it attached to the front clip). I wanted to a good look at available clearance between the bumper and the H/E as well as eyeballing where I could exit the lower front grille. Anyhow, maybe 10 minutes at most and I was here

IMG_8676.jpg

For how few miles I have I was surprised with the number of bugs embedded into the fins of the H/E, A/C condenser, and the top of the radiator. I'm considering some type of screening that won't be restrictive but will reduce the damn buggery.

IMG_8682.jpg

There was something I was itching to know about my car and it required taking a closer look at the bumper beam. Note the four holes on each side...

IMG_8688.jpg

Four bolts on the passenger side

IMG_8686.jpg

Four...make that three bolts on the driver side.

IMG_8685.jpg

That means only one bolt was holding the H/E bracket on the driver side. I had heard of others that had mentioned this as well. Ford assembly plant line supervisor(s) take note - it is high time to shitcan the UAW fatty that ain't doing his job. Hopefully job rotation doesn't have him leaving control arm bolts out or some other important fastener that was designed to be there.

Moving on, I kept hearing these voices in my head

Hmmm...

So, a quick run inside to print off a smaller scale SVT template. After slicing and dicing...

IMG_8706.jpg

Do you guys think this attempt was better?

IMG_8709.jpg

The bugs won't show up as bad - maybe. :mj:

I started to partially disassemble to H/E plumbing. I laid the larger H/E reservoir that I purchased from Justin next to the stocker to compare the difference in routing

IMG_8712.jpg

I also wanted to transfer the little warning sticker from the tiny stock reservoir to the larger one just to make it look "more" original. A few seconds with a heat gun and the transfer was simple

IMG_8710.jpg

I then slipped the larger reservoir into position. Having done some reading on the subject of these I knew I wanted to add another fastener to attach it to the radiator fan shroud. As much as every vendor that sells the reservoirs say that you only need one bolt to hold it on, I still wanted two. So I marked where a hole would need to be drilled and then removed the reservoir. Note the yellow drill mark

IMG_8721.jpg

After drilling I slipped the extra "nut" into place that I had picked up from my local Ford dealer.

IMG_8724.jpg

Here's a shot that shows the part numbers for the nut as well as the necessary corresponding bolt

IMG_8720.jpg

Nice thing about the bolt I show is that it is shorter than the other bolts that are used to hold the tanks down (it utilizes a larger head as well). There is plenty of clearance with the short bolt in place between the fan blades and the tip of the new bolt. New on left...

IMG_8729.jpg

Bolted in place to see how it'd look

IMG_8732.jpg

I'm enjoying the install portion of this mod so far and look forward to picking up where I left off. May not be anything for a few days though.:(

Nicely done Tob. Keep up the good work.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Van, are you consistently hearing/seeing the same thing regarding the missing bumper bolts? What about on '10 and later cars?

A DuB

Established Member
Nice progress. Im going to do this mod soon. Ill probably reference your thread to help with my install. I have the afco unit without the fans. I bought 3, 7.5" spal fans to add to it. Looking forward to your pics.

Last edited:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Tob, great write up as always. I love how you pay attention to detail. Transferring the label over was brilliant.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Robert, do you have any shots of the hook where it meets the steel bumper and where it penetrates the lower grille?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Tob, my 2009 Vista blue was also missing the 4th bolt for the OEM HE bracket. I'm glad you redid the painted logo, as the first logo was too high. Take a look at mine and you will see that only the very bottom of the "C" is visible through the bumper cover. Painted logos need to be towards the bottom to be seen well.

DSC00993.jpg

This is exactly what I see when I get down low to the ground and look through the bumper cover. The "C" is mostly covered up.

DSC01196.jpg

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
A thin coat of flat black paint helps the core to remove heat faster. Heavier coats of paint - or clear - hinders the core from dissipating heat as quickly as it otherwise could since you are in effect insulating the core. Ideally, you just want a really thin coat of flat black. That being said, I know it doesn't really matter to most in the real world here.

The SVT logo def looks great in the second photo - looks factory.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread