(Heavily modded 3.4 Whipple won't start w/ heavy fuel smell and soaked plugs)

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Has a new FRPS been tried on this car yet?

If not..... WHY NOT??

A new one being installed 12 minutes ago does not mean you don't have a bad one 12 minutes later.

All the classic symptoms are there if this car is running a return less fuel system still.

Install NEW FRPS!

No need to pull fuses. Put the gas pedal to the floor while cranking and it shuts the injectors right off.

Crank until it starts to catch, then lift.

Feather throttle to keep it running until it the revs straightens out and it runs smoothly.

Drive to work with additional brand new FRPS in the console with a tool to change if needed.

Next!:dw::p

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Guys.

I drove around in this car for 3 1/2 hours getting the tune dialed in a few weeks ago. Everything from stop and go traffic to WOT pulls. The car drove fine, idled fine and started fine!

I have been doing this stuff for far to long to make any of this up.

After it left Dallas I do not know what might have happened to it. I didn't even know the car was sold until I was PM'd by the OP.

I tried to help the OP but he didn't even know how to change the plugs. I told him it would be impossible to diagnose without at least seeing the car in person.

The FRPS was one thing on my mind when I heard how it was acting. That or something came loose or came apart.

I had no part of the build whatsoever. The only thing I changed was the PCV line that was hooked to a port on the side of the Crusher Elbow, and the other side had a breather. Hence creating a vacuum leak! The only way to cure it was to block off the port and put another breather on the driver side valve cover.

I tried to help the OP by giving him some advice but he wasn't very mechanically inclined and lacked the tools to even install the new plugs. I told him his best bet would be to find someone who could look at it for him.

I am sorry for what the OP is going through. I can only offer my best advice like I have for many years.

Good luck and I wish you the best.

Kevin

Last edited:

Ltd10th03cobra

3.4 Whipple Crusher 22psi
Established Member
FRPS was looked at and it was good. The car gets rich when starting up resulting in grey smoke. After a min then it levels out and idles. The blower is hitting the hood under load

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
FRPS was looked at and it was good. The car gets rich when starting up resulting in grey smoke. After a min then it levels out and idles. The blower is hitting the hood under load

Are there marks from this and how many? Snap a picture if you can and post it.

evolve

Established Member
OP: can you post pics of engine bay, hood, and MDM setup (including wire conncetions)? Then take a video of your car starting up and dying. This will give us a better idea of whats up. Descriptions that you're giving are subjective!! We need to see the issues.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. :( Honesty was surely lacking during this deal and is somewhat of a testament that no one can be trusted when conducting business! Even though I've had some fairly good dealings you just can't trust a stranger.

I recently bought another 03 Cobra and even though the Seller tried to "sugar coat" a lot of things I damn near gave the car a 169-point inspection on the spot. It was good enough for me and we followed through with the deal. I guess it helps to know these things for what they are but for others in your position I feel for. Sorry you had to go through this but life is all about lessons. You can only learn from them and keep on moving forward.

Last edited:

Brutal DSG

Angry Turtle
Established Member
Had a similar problem with a KB 2.6 car in my shop. Customer had the blower installed and car tuned at a different shop then one day magically the car wouldn't start and got towed into me. Pulled the plugs found fuel in the cyl's and oil even in the damn blower. Cleaned it all out REPLACED the FRPS changed the oil and she fired right up! All the fuel in the exhaust cleared out after 10 mins and bang he was good to go. 1 week later same thing went thru the same B.S. again This time threw a KB disc under the the FRPS and sent the car to my own personal tuner car has been going strong now for 15 months no issues.

Put a FRPS in the car change the oil and clean all the fuel out including inside the blower cause i bet it's in there from sucking through the vacum line. Throw a little KB disc under the FRPS and enjoy the car!

04yfzkid

Established Member
Another one for the frps.

My brother had the same problem before he rebuilt the car and went returnless. The plugs were soaked, cylinders were coated with fuel, and the exhaust smelled horribly of gas. Left the plugs out over night, installed a new frps, new plugs, and it started the next day. When it did start about a gallon of gas or more came out of the exhaust from us cranking it so much with the previous blow out frps. Changed the oil right after it started up and there had to be like 14 quarts in there from all the fuel.

Ltd10th03cobra

Established Member
What do you means like 14 quarts from all the fuel. I'm going to make sure it has a kb disc

Blueline

Established Member
What he means is when the FRPS goes it allows fuel to enter vac lines etc. Making it's way into the motor through cylinders and things ending up in your oil pan. Thats why I asked you if the vac. Lines and oil smelled like fuel. After cranking so much he was introducing fuel into the motor through the blown FRPS. He added fuel to his oil pan, about 7-8 qts.

Last edited:

Ltd10th03cobra

Established Member
I'll see if fuel in the oil pan. The shop said no fuel in the vacuum lines. I'm not sure if the blower has any in it.

Jerry03cobra

Established Member
I would change the 105 to 80lb.I hade the same ploblem when i put those 105 in mine new motor it was just dumping way to much fuel and smoking bad when i turn the car on, once my tuner changed them to 80lb and did something to MAF it worked good i still made 900hp on 109 race gas with the 80lb.

Ltd10th03cobra

Established Member
I'm getting 80's installed so the 105's are for sale. This injectors are $750 new so I will take $475. That is how much these 80's are costing me. The motor only has about 1800 miles. These injectors are used for E85 tunes.

Last edited:

New Edge

Screaming 2.2!
Established Member
Something about buying a heavily modded performance vehicle as a daily driver with little to no mechanical experience or tools seems a little dumb to me. Were it a toy car that's another story.

Users who are viewing this thread