(Heavily modded 3.4 Whipple won't start w/ heavy fuel smell and soaked plugs)

Ltd10th03cobra

3.4 Whipple Crusher 22psi
Established Member
The shop the cars at said the plugs were extremely fouled and dripping with fuel. Fuel in the cylinders visible too

Satin03

Established Member
It's sounds like a tune issue. From what you have said it looks like it has to much fuel on the start up and running rich. 105 lb injectors are huge and if not tuned right will flood it.

+1. I'm leaning towards a tune on this as well. Or maybe even your MAF. With the engine lighting off if even for a second and the smell of fuel coming from the tailpipes I would venture to say way too rich. I would check the tune, the MAF and even the fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail (I would check this first...it's certainly the easiest). I had a similar issue happen twice to me and it turned out to be the fuel rail sensor on one instance and the MAF on the other. Check your programmer to see if you are tripping a code. It may not show up yet on your CEL. Here's a link to the pressure sensor and what it looks like.

03-04 Mustang SVT Cobra Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor MOTORCRAFT 3R3Z-9F972-AA

Good luck!!!

Last edited:

2003snake

Established Member
Two things - even though it really is not the ideal DD, I have no issues driving ours....it is manageable enough, I can certainly see the point about having a beater for the nasty days (snow/rain).

I am personally not familiar with the person that tuned your car (04sleeper), there seem to be a few people that speak highly of him.....have you considered asking him what he thinks - he of ALL people at this point is the most familiar with your car.....

I would talk to him first......are you sure that this car was not tuned and meant to run on E85?

Ltd10th03cobra

Established Member
The car was previously running E85. It did 782rwhp 657rwtq. It got recently retuned by 04sleeper for 93 octane. I called 04sleeper and told it had a weird setup with the vacuum lines. He redid them where it would work. He drove it after he retuned it and said it ran fine. NVR_LFT said he replaced the FRPS

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
shady business got to love some people... the car sounds like it has the capability to be a complete monster check sensors*
then tune
if its fouling plugs up it could be that the fuel system is having an issue like a bad regulator which would be very bad you could wash the oil out of the cylinder walls scar everything up and be out a short block more common on a old school carbd set up but still a possibility im assuming this is a return style set up in which the car could not be "returning" the correct amount of fuel or any at all

Last edited:

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
suggestions would be to stop trying to start it up to prevent any breakage, take it to someone who has done a similar build and find as much experience as possible. experience with this car could shed light to a common problem. i have never messed with anything with this much boost and fuel but i am very familiar with return fuel systems, having to fab up a system to work with my electric fuel pumped return carb set up .... i have to be careful not to tap the gas to much before i start it because of the return maybe your having a similar issue ...

nycarpenter

Established Member
The car was previously running E85. It did 782rwhp 657rwtq. It got recently retuned by 04sleeper for 93 octane. I called 04sleeper and told it had a weird setup with the vacuum lines. He redid them where it would work. He drove it after he retuned it and said it ran fine. NVR_LFT said he replaced the FRPS
If you need a frps or want to try one I will send you a used one to give a try... if fuel is in the vac lines and oil my guess is the frps popped the diaphragm.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
stupid auto correct only lightnings have knock sensors if i remember right... meant to say check all the sensors stupid simple checklist stuff a buddy and i fought with a car for months and come to find out we had left an injector unhooked the entire time you weren't able to see it because it was under a plenum sometimes big issues are simple things

Evo2SVT

Established Member
I feel your pain. My 04 lasted a half tank of gas before the trans died. Come to find out the POS i bought the car from half a$$ed it back together. Now i am out $1000+ and climbing. I hope its something stupid and cheap for ya

Michael Hughes

1 of 299
Established Member
I'm assuming you are DFW area because 04sleeper tune the car. What shop is working on your car? How much boost are you making?

You might want to get a set of 80 lbs injectors in the future. The reason I say that I'm running similar set up on my car and have no problems.

Ltd10th03cobra

Established Member
The car got tuned by 04sleeper then got transported to south Texas where I live. The shop I have it at does SCT programming and have worked with similar cars. They were the closest to me. I don't think it needs retuned. The car was running real rich and the plugs were fouled and dripping with fuel. The engine was flooded with fuel. I might change to the 80's soon

nycarpenter

Established Member
The car got tuned by 04sleeper then got transported to south Texas where I live. The shop I have it at does SCT programming and have worked with similar cars. They were the closest to me. I don't think it needs retuned. The car was running real rich and the plugs were fouled and dripping with fuel. The engine was flooded with fuel. I might change to the 80's soon

I agree simple works better. 80's are a way better choice for a street car on gas. Sell the 105's here to a guy on E85 buy some 80's and then some :)

nycarpenter

Established Member
Hope you get it resolved. Can't help but shake my head when people buy highly modified cars for daily drivers...just stupid.

My car is not a daily driver but will drive it every chance I get with dry ground at my disposal. I put 640 to the tire drive like a human and have had no issues to speak of besides rupturing the supply line in the tank. Should you modify these and just dust them in the garage or take them to a track and or car cruise a few times a year?

lodhammerdin

WHPLD03
Established Member
The shop the cars at said the plugs were extremely fouled and dripping with fuel. Fuel in the cylinders visible too

Could be the tune but, it sounds like an FRPS to me, even though he said he recently replaced it. you need to pull the plugs and let the fuel evaporate. After that, replace the plugs with new ones and pull out the fuel pump fuse. Try to start it for a few seconds. If it sounds like it wants to start, stop and put the replace the fuel pump fuse and try again. Also, I had an issue with going through FRPS's like hot cakes. Got me one of the Kenny Bell FRPS (call them) and haven't had a Hiccup since.

Could be the tune issue is blowing the FRPS also...

Hope this helps and that you cant get your ride rolling again. Mines been out of service for almost 3 months... Bearing went bad in my blower snout and heated the shaft till it snapped... And go figure, Whipple has sent me the same wrong size 2 times now and the one I need they don't have in stock.

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
My car is not a daily driver but will drive it every chance I get with dry ground at my disposal. I put 640 to the tire drive like a human and have had no issues to speak of besides rupturing the supply line in the tank. Should you modify these and just dust them in the garage or take them to a track and or car cruise a few times a year?

No, but you should have a back up vehicle for when shit hits the fan like in the OPs case. You obviously do since your car is "not a daily driver" and you only drive it on dry ground, not snow, salt and rainy conditions...so really your post has no valid relation to my quote at all? :loser:

Users who are viewing this thread