(Heavily modded 3.4 Whipple won't start w/ heavy fuel smell and soaked plugs)

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
Thanks everyone for chiming in. The car started yesterday but died when you would press the gas. I revved to 2k for a couple seconds and then it would settle to 1k. I would put it in reverse and hit the gas and it would die again. The fuses all looked good and the connections all looked attached other than the ones that stay disconnected due to having no EGR or pcv system. The car has 2 breathers on the head covers. The vacuum lines are unfamiliar to me because it's s 3.4 Whipple and not similar to my 2.6 kb I had on my 10th Ann cobra. The car has a killer chiller gen 3 in it. It has a SCT 5000 slot mass air. Zone 5 mdm fuel module for the triple fuel ford gt pumps. It has 105lb Bosch injectors. I got new NGK BR7EF plugs for it to put in. The motor rotates when trying to start and actually starts but immediately dies. The theft light stays solid when starting the car. The tank is 1/4 of a tank. It sounds like the pumps are priming. Yes it is that car in the link with that electrical problems. I did a search and never found that link. The guy was always getting mad about me asking him questions about the car. He said when he replaced the instrument cluster it fixed the electrical issue. The car is at a performance shop now getting diagnosed and plugs installed. Hopefully they can figure out the issue. The previous owner completely stopped talking to me after I stated I wanted to null the deal and get my Lexus back. This is the third time I've been burned. I never learn appsrantely. Hope you enjoy my Lexus NVR_LFT. I got new tires for the back because one is already flat in the back. The car smokes when started and when attrnpting to start and it smells like fuel vapors. There are no cats on it. Hopefully the shop can fix it cause right now I have no car

Being the theft light is on solid I would start troubleshooting with the factory alarm. But since it's in the shop I'm sure they can figure it out.

And not tryin to be a dick here but with that second comment I would have walked on the buy. No way do you buy a heavily modded car where the seller gets mad by answering buyers questions. That should have been a HUGE red flag.

Either way good luck I hope it all works out for you.

Last edited:

Ltd10th03cobra

3.4 Whipple Crusher 22psi
Established Member
I know guys it's my fault. Their we're red flags. I was really anxious about such a modded car and he wanted to trade. I flat out made a bad decision and have to live with it. I should have got this one guys car on here they was a silver 03 with a 2.6kb. I was going to get this 2000 Saleen with all 03 cobra swap and Kennebell 2.8 mammoth but my bank kept saying it was a mustang gt. Saleen builds off a gt platform. My bank wouldn't give me enough money. The 02 gt MMR 900 stang had problems and sunk 3k in it to fix and sold it. I'm frankly tired. I should've bought this Shelby gt500 I saw

Blueline

Established Member
Take a deep breath and try to relax. I know your frustrations, hopefully it is a minor tune issue. Theres no point in beating yourself up now, what are you gonna do :shrug: if its a quick fix you will enjoy the car and hopefully no more issues. :thumbsup:

j-tan

Established Member
It's sounds like a tune issue. From what you have said it looks like it has to much fuel on the start up and running rich. 105 lb injectors are huge and if not tuned right will flood it.

TRBO VNM

I would definitely be looking for another car. you can find some for under $1000 with minimal to no work required to use as a daily driver. I would not be daily driving that car with the setup it has. I personally would not put anything more than a 2.6 on these stock motors. anything bigger and you really need to spin them to make power worth having the blower.

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
Hope you get it resolved. Can't help but shake my head when people buy highly modified cars for daily drivers...just stupid.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
A friend of mine drove a 3.4 Whipple in California daily for like 2 years with 21lbs of boost at 660hp. It can be done. If some of you remember over on modfords he was the one that did all the spark plug testing.

OP sorry about your troubles and good luck with the car.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
It's sounds like a tune issue. From what you have said it looks like it has to much fuel on the start up and running rich. 105 lb injectors are huge and if not tuned right will flood it.

check post 5

The car was just tuned by 04sleeper and ran fine for the 3 hours of tuning

kevin (04sleeper) is about as good as they come in the realm of tuning or these terminators in general. I'm betting mechanical issue...and hopefully something very simple has either worked its way loose or a small item has failed.

but in the meantime....get a beater. i highly recommend you don't daily drive that monster once running again.....

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
A friend of mine drove a 3.4 Whipple in California daily for like 2 years with 21lbs of boost at 660hp. It can be done. If some of you remember over on modfords he was the one that did all the spark plug testing.

Doesn't mean it makes sense to do, or is smart to do. I drive my car maybe once a month and have a hard time keeping it clean. I couldn't imagine DD'ing it and letting it see shitty weather. Especially if it made 700rwhp. Not to mention the risk of reliability when so many things have been changed or modified..like in the OPs case.

Ltd10th03cobra

Established Member
I drive 3 miles to work and my town has 26k people and not worried about driving a monster cause I don't have far to go. I just want the car manageable

Last edited:

nycarpenter

Established Member
I would definitely be looking for another car. you can find some for under $1000 with minimal to no work required to use as a daily driver. I would not be daily driving that car with the setup it has. I personally would not put anything more than a 2.6 on these stock motors. anything bigger and you really need to spin them to make power worth having the blower.

I second that and I have a 2.9 on my stock lower but only push 18psi so do not get the value of the big blower :(

Ltd10th03cobra

Established Member

Engine
1. Fully built: Machined Block, polished crank, ARP hardware, Diamond Pistons, Manley Rods.
2. Ported heads, Custom ground blower cams (do not know spec on cams)
3. SCT 5000 slot MAF
4. Gen 3 Kincaid performance killer chiller
5. BBK long tube headers
6. BBK off road x-pipe
7. Bassani cat-back exhaust system
8. Battery re-location kit (in the trunk)
9. New PA performance alternator
Transmission
1. T-56 viper spec cryo’d internals
2. 26 spline input shaft
3. Spec SS-trim super twin disc clutch kit
4. MGW short throw shifter
5. Level 5 half shafts
6. Billetflow rear IRS brace
7. 3:27 rear gear
8. Extended rear lugs
Fuel system
1. Bosch 105lb. injectors
2. Zone 5 MDM mega driver module
3. Triple pump hat
4. Three ford GT supercar fuel pumps (brand new with motor build)
5. -8n fuel lines
6. FORE fuel rails
Interior
1. SOS pillar bi-pod
2. Autometer cobalt boost gauge
3. Autometer cobalt wideband gauge
Misc.
1. Sub frame connectors
2. Steeda lowering springs
3. 18X9.5 TF chicane front wheels
4. 18X11 TF chicane rear wheels
5. UPR “the shark” caster camber plates
6. SCT xcal 3 tuner

zeusha

Established Member

+1 Sounds like a tuning issue.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

6. SCT xcal 3 tuner

this is your most critical item at the moment. get yourself a laptop and download livewire from the sct website, its dead nuts simple. That way you can datalog the car yourself with the xcal/laptop and at least have a framework to start working from and/or email to a remote tuner to help decipher further and that way you don't feel so helpless at this point. Quit taking others people's word for whats going on and take this bull by the horns. You can do it, this community will help you once some data is presented

nycarpenter

Established Member
Could have blown out the FRPS and now has the engine flooded plugs fowled along with the vacuum lines filled with fuel. JMHO

Last edited:

Blueline

Established Member
Check to see if any VAC lines are filled with fuel or if the oil smells like its contaminated with fuel.

I just looked over your mods and I noticed the Zone 5 Mega Driver. These have been known to crap out, just like any others, it may have just gone bad. This would def. cause your symptoms too. Im just throwing stuff out there, because I know its ath the shop now and Im sure you will find out soon enough. GL!

TRBO VNM

Thats not the point Brian. And no, I don't recall who that was. I rarely even open that website anymore. Not saying it can't be done, just saying this guys setup isn't optimum for it. Especially with 105# injectors.

I mean, if he is driving a mile to work, that is a different story. And really, it is more of a reliability issue than anything. The more mods you do, the more power you make, the more wear and tear on the car. Things start breaking and failing sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread