How to quiet your '03/'04 Cobra shifter (other Mustangs, too)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just ordered a set to go with my steeda triax. Looking forward to quieting this damn thing down
Thanks for the order, Joe. It mailed out on Monday. :thumbsup:

Hey Bob,

Just ordered your gasket for my T-56. Had your original gasket, but decided to upgrade to the thicker one since the trams is coming out. Thanks for a great product.
Thanks to you, too, Nick Yours mailed out today. ;-)

What does the shifter noise sound like? My Cobra does not seem to make noise unless the previous owner put Bob's gasket in already. Do all cars make the noise or what?

Vince, each car is different as far as noise level. Some are pretty much noise-free, while others are just noisy enough to be annoying. And some are very noisy. The bulk on the noise is gear noise that carries through the billet shifter into the cabin. You might just have a very quiet one. Or, like you said, the previous owner maybe installed my gasket. If you ever pull your shifter, check to see if it has the new, thicker gasket. It's more effective and more durable.

eaglesnick

Established Member
Hey Bob,

Just thought I would let you know I got the gaskets today even with Sandy doing her best to screw thing up. Thanks for a great product and great service.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You're very welcome, Nick. Glad the set got to you without delay. Hope your home was unscathed by Sandy.

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
Just installed the gasket with my new MGW shifter. WOW. The old setup was a Steeda Tri-Ax and it was noisy as hell. People would get in my car and say "what's that noise?". Looks like the previous owner or whoever installed the tri-ax did a mix of RTV and what looks to be one of the old, thin shifter gaskets. It was completely torn up and hanging out of the edges of the base.

Now the shifter is completely silent. It's amazing for the price you sell these for. People would buy these at triple the price, I know I would. Worth every penny. Thanks for an outstanding product!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just installed the gasket with my new MGW shifter. WOW. The old setup was a Steeda Tri-Ax and it was noisy as hell. People would get in my car and say "what's that noise?". Looks like the previous owner or whoever installed the tri-ax did a mix of RTV and what looks to be one of the old, thin shifter gaskets. It was completely torn up and hanging out of the edges of the base.

Now the shifter is completely silent. It's amazing for the price you sell these for. People would buy these at triple the price, I know I would. Worth every penny. Thanks for an outstanding product!

I'm very happy that YOU'RE happy, Joe. Triple the price? Ya think? LOL! I'll just keep them at $15.00 a set so that hopefully more and more people will try them. They DO work, as you found out. :)

jpk

Established Member
Ordered my gasket over a year ago. It finally just went in as I just got around to being able to get my car into a shop for the transmission upgrade. Was surprised it came back so much quieter!

The car finally sounds like it probably did way back when I had the stock shifter (I forget, that was back in 2004). It feels like a new car.

Thank you!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, Jay, you waited a whole year. LOL! I'm glad you like the gasket set. Yeah, it really works well. Did you buy the regular gasket (prior to January, 2012) or the double-thickness gasket?

jpk

Established Member
Wow, Jay, you waited a whole year. LOL! I'm glad you like the gasket set. Yeah, it really works well. Did you buy the regular gasket (prior to January, 2012) or the double-thickness gasket?

It was prior to Jan 2012, but I think it was still the double thickness PLUS gasket. Or is there a newer version as of 2012?

Anyways, now that I have upgraded the throw out bearing and don't have any throw out bearing squeal and can't hear constant transmission noise from the metal-on-metal of shifter base mounted to the transmission, the car feels a lot better to drive around in. I had gone a lot of years and just kind of put up with it as "this is the price for having a better shifter" and "well, Mustangs are supposed to be noisy". But, it sure is much less fatiguing to not hear so much noise in the cabin!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
No, there is only one double-thickness version. I actually announced the new double-thickness gasket back in early November, 2011. So if you bought the gasket prior to November 1 then it would be the old thickness. If you remember paying $15.00 for it, and bought it after November 6, 2011, it should be the double-thickness.

Glad you're happy with the quieter cabin. :)

jpk

Established Member
No, there is only one double-thickness version. I actually announced the new double-thickness gasket back in early November, 2011. So if you bought the gasket prior to November 1 then it would be the old thickness. If you remember paying $15.00 for it, and bought it after November 6, 2011, it should be the double-thickness.

Glad you're happy with the quieter cabin. :)

Yep, it was back in last November, just after you announced the Plus version.

SVTerror

New Guy on the Block
Established Member
I got my gasket from CobraBob a week or so ago and I installed it with my new MGW shifter today. The shifter is very quiet, in fact, it's quieter than my stock shifter without CobraBob's high quality gasket! Despite the holiday season, the transaction was smooth and shipping was fast. I love the gasket and I definitely recommend CobraBob's gasket to anyone who has yet to purchase it! Thanks for a great product!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for your nice review and kind words. I really appreciate the support. :thumbsup:

sal298

Established Member
I just ordered one from you. I won't know how well it works until the spring, but I figure the winter is a good time to do the install. I have the Pro 5.0 in the car and it is really noisy when I'm cruising on the highway, so I'm really hoping it works as advertised.

Dave

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Dave, it definitely quiets down transmission gear noise. If you have an unusually loud shifter (transmission gear noise), you might not get all of the noise to disappear, but you'll definitely notice a different. Average noise levels pretty much disappear. I get lots and lots of follow-up from customers who are amazed at the noise reduction. The thicker gasket works even better than the original. :)

Users who are viewing this thread