Hurricane Irma

spectreman

Established Member
I remember someone saying the comparison of Irma and Andrew (as far as size) was BS earlier, but everything I have found so far (and this is the internet, so it must be true) indicates that comparison to be factual.

The fact that Irma can and will engulf pretty much the entire state of Florida and that it's bigger than the state of Ohio is absurd. I am praying so hard for you crazy stayers.

I was here for Andrew- very small, tight but powerful storm. Geographically speaking, Irma covers a much wider area. And don't worry about Jose- one issue at a time. The current projected path of Jose takes it out into the Atlantic- no threat to mainland. Focus on what's in front of you.

If you're new to FL, or have never experienced a storm of this magnitude, the flight or flight syndrome is strong. My advice- it's too late to flee at this point. Hunker down, make yourself as safe as possible. You'll get thru it. Being stranded on the road is a far worse option.

As a SoFla LEO, I've lived/worked thru every storm since '82. They are trying but panic/hysteria only makes things worse. This is the best, most organized response I've ever seen from the FL govt.- good on Gov. Scott- and recovery response will be quick.

Keep your heads on your shoulders, folks, and stay safe.
Lee

_Snake_

Established Member
Too late now, it looks like the bedroom closet with my caged hockey helmet on, hell maybe the whole uniform..

That's what I'm thinking too. My biggest concern is broken windows. I'm two weeks post-op (major surgery) and pretty much useless to my wife. We've been looking for plywood and someone to hang it for several days without any luck. Other than that, we're as ready as we can get.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Looks like Irma is tracking a bit more to the west, and now they're saying that the east coast of Florida (ie. Miami area) will be lesser impacted for the most part. Heavy storm surge and high wind expected to hit the entire west coast of Florida. Early preparation and evacuations (along with an excellent and organized hurricane response from Gov. Scott) will go a long way to minimizing injuries/deaths and property damage. I think that Florida's preparations and response will become a model for other states going forward.

CO Mack

Established Member
We left late Wed night. The state had vehicles out getting gas to people on the side of the road, accidents were getting cleared, police directing traffic at service stations for fuel. I could not believe the amount of material headed to Florida; convoys of huge generators, utility trucks, wire, poles, ambulances, ert trailers etc. The spooling up of the navy and other fed forces is also incredible.

Last edited:

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Long FEMA train with fuel and container cars spotted heading into FLa yesterday on the west side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I think that Florida's preparations and response will become a model for other states going forward.

Floridas prep for hurricanes was actually looked at as part of the problem when New Orleans got hit. Floridas response has been so good that people didn't realize how bad FEMA was. FL was doing all the work and FEMA was more like the Calvary showing up later on. It looks like FEMA has improved quite a bit since

coposrv

Established Member
Every update is worse news for us on the west coast, it's not gonna end well. I only have 3 years left to pay off my house, I hope I still have an intact roof and walls on Monday. I got phone calls tonight from both my brothers in Massachusetts cause they saw on the news that my county is under evacuation.

Stay safe man. Where in mass are you from originally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4a7191a

Established Member
Fema has improved from what I've seen here in Beaumont.
Red Cross top notch too. They're going through neighborhoods giving out supplies. Churches giving out water and meals to people in need as well.
It's in my opinion good for the community, in the sense of togetherness.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm almost done with everything. Moved the car over, and made room for my truck to back into the garage door. Might throw a few more tapcons into the wood. Also need to see if I can score some more beer. lol

Now THAT is proper prep!

Users who are viewing this thread