Hurricane Matthew

Kiohtee

Established Member
Good Thursday morning to all.
We've been pretty lucky here in SoFla. It's been a while since we've had a serious storm, but Hurricane Matthew is definitely heading towards FL's east coast. It appears that the areas between W. Palm Beach up to Melbourne may be in-waiting for a direct or near-direct hit, and yes, we're dead center of those areas, the Treasure Coast. We're expecting it to hit sometime late this evening and because it's a relatively slow moving storm, then travel on through the night. Heck, even Jacksonville appears to be in its path and that almost never happens. Worse yet, there's a potential that it may circle back around next week for a second go-around- oy vey.

You just never know with these storms where they're gonna make landfall or how strong they're going to be when they do. We're just hoping for the best at this point & expect to see blue sky sometime Friday. We'll assess damage at that point and again, hopefully it'll be minimal other than some inconveniences for a period of time.

We've done all we can to prepare and are as ready as we can be. Thanks to the experiences of so many storms over the last 30+ years, it's not our first time with this dance. I assume we'll lose power sometime this evening so we may be incommunicado for a while.

To my fellow LEO's out there who'll be working this storm, Stay Safe & Stay Dry!
Lee

Stay safe and report back at your earliest availability please! Good luck man!

2013GT'ed

Established Member
Be safe man. I was watching the weather channel and they are saying there is a chance it could circle back and hit Florida again. Not going to be a good time down there...

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I feel for you guys, this thing has the potential for some major destruction and if you can leave you should. Because it is moving so slow the 130 mph winds will have plenty of time to rip things to pieces. Not to mention the storm serge on the coast and barrier islands like Merritt Island. You guys should not be there! I hope for the best but it sure doesn't look good.

TheShadow

Hey, you're a funny guy.
Established Member
What Matthew is/will be thinking.

@0161006-0848 Hurricane Matthew projected track.jpg

In all seriousness though, this is a pretty raw deal. We have quite a few friends in the Outer Banks and it looks like they will be spared, as of the current track guidance. We also have family just north of West Palm Beach, and they have packed and evacuated. If the guidance is verified, riding this one out will have been foolish. Godspeed to all in its path.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
my wife has a friend/co-worker working in the bahamas right now. they weren't allowed to leave in the evacuation. they have to weather the storm, so to speak. she's not happy

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
my wife has a friend/co-worker working in the bahamas right now. they weren't allowed to leave in the evacuation. they have to weather the storm, so to speak. she's not happy

Employer forced them to stay, or the local authorities told them to stay?

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Employer forced them to stay, or the local authorities told them to stay?

employer (DHS/CBP)

they cleared out all the USCs (US citizens) on the last planes and then had to stay behind

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I was going to say, I'd give the employer the middle finger and get on the first flight out of there but I could kind of see that not working out so well there.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Grew up in PR as well, I had my share of them bastards but I cant see myself living anywhere else, weather wise lol.

Been on the west coast of Florida for 30 years. Been through 1's to a high 4, and I agree. Doesn't happen that often.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i was out of town for Charley but caught the ones that followed it, just hoping this thing stays as far east as possible and doesnt suddenly cut across or something.

we've got supplies, generator, fuel (and another ~800 gallons 20 minutes away if power stays out). My biggest concern is always the possibility for tornadoes.

stay safe everyone

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Everyone that's in the path of this if you can't leave stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
i was out of town for Charley but caught the ones that followed it, just hoping this thing stays as far east as possible and doesnt suddenly cut across or something.

we've got supplies, generator, fuel (and another ~800 gallons 20 minutes away if power stays out). My biggest concern is always the possibility for tornadoes.

stay safe everyone
The eye of that sucker went right over my house. Need I say more?

Users who are viewing this thread