I got bored yesterday, so i went ahead and poured some pepper into my IC tank! lol

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
while true, i DID pour pepper into my IC tank, it wasnt b/c i was bored. here is there story. may be old news for some, and may be new/helpful info to others. it was definitely new info to me, yesterday.

i have been having a few cooling issued w/the car lately. it is my year round DD, and has been since day 1. i ended up having to take the car to my bro-inlaw's shop, who is a mechanic for a living. we went ahead and flushed the coolant system (since is had never been flushed or changed at over 100k miles), then refilled with fresh water/coolant mix..as well as drilled the thermostat. then we had to replace the cooling fan, which was the main purpose of the car running hot, and overheating.

so yesterday, after i pull into my driveway, i noticed a couple of drops of coolant on the ground, and i could see it dripping about 1 drop every 2 or 3 seconds. upon closer inspection, the leak was coming from the heat exchanger. apparently a small rock hit it in the lower left corner causing a slow leak. i also noticed the fluid in the IC tank was down to about half full. since i am no mechanic, i call my bro-inlaw at home, and explain to him what happened/my situation. he advised me to take a teaspoon of pepper, and dump it into the IC tank, while the car is running. i must admit i was hesitant about this, and never heard of it before. he assured me that as long as i dont use TOO much better, then everything will be fine. so i went to the kitchen, and grabbed the pepper and a spoon, and went at it. less than 5 minutes later, there was no more leak. i have drove several times since then, including today, and still no leak. my bro-inlaw said he had to do the same thing to one of his cars, and it fixed it/lasted as long as he had the car.

some other helpful info - i asked him (before doing the pepper thing), if i should go to an auto store and get some of that "radiator-stop leak" stuff that they make, and he advised against it, saying that if the cooling system needs flushed later, then it is an extreme bitch getting it flushed/cleaned with that stuff in there. he said with the pepper though, there is no problems if you ever want to flush the system, it will flush right out.

anyway, as long as you dont get a HUGE hole in your HE from a rock, this is by far the cheapest fix out there!!

for those that already knew/know about this trick, that is great! =]
just wanted to share this info with those that didnt know about it! =]

:rockon:

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
lol an egg!! thats crazy. i dunno about that one. i think i'd be too scared to try it. i was already pretty hesitant about pouring the pepper in there! haha

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I thought the egg thing was a joke, so I went to the link. Son of a gun. It works as a temporary sealer.

The link also mentions the pepper fix, although it says to use more than a teaspoon. Here's the quote. "Use black pepper. Pour a spice-rack-sized container of pepper into the radiator. It will flow to the split or pinhole and will harden like a rock and plug the hole. If you don't have pepper, paprika, cornmeal and mustard powder are acceptable alternatives." Yum! LOL!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
And better yet would be changing your antifreeze mixture every 4-5 years whether the car has been driven or not.

If it had not been leaking from a stone impact it (and possibly your radiator and heater core) could have been pin holed from corrosion. Old coolant is bad news!:nonono:

Lot's of soft aluminum to get eaten up by coolant that has been in too long and the corrosion inhibitors have broken down.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
And better yet would be changing your antifreeze mixture every 4-5 years whether the car has been driven or not.

If it had not been leaking from a stone impact it (and possibly your radiator and heater core) could have been pin holed from corrosion. Old coolant is bad news!:nonono:

Lot's of soft aluminum to get eaten up by coolant that has been in too long and the corrosion inhibitors have broken down.

yeah...you should have saw the coolant before we flushed the system and refilled it....the stuff looked about like mud. should have been changed long before then!

im still loving the pepper in the HE. still leak free, and i imagine it will stay that way for quite some time to come. much more affordable/cheaper than buying a whole new HE, just b/c of a small hole/leak.

:rockon:

OH3BLKSVT

Screwed by the twins
Established Member
Lmao, i want to know how people figure these things out... Who the heck thinks to put pepper or an egg in the radiator to stop a leak?

no kidding man.

thanks op for the post in case i am in need of a temp fix.:thumbsup:

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
no kidding man.

thanks op for the post in case i am in need of a temp fix.:thumbsup:

no prob bro, glad to help! i will be inerested to see just how long it will hold. still so far so good. no loss of IC coolant from the tank (level is still full), and no drips/leaks anywhere.
my bro-inlaw that advised me to do it, said when he did it on his truck, it lasted the life of the truck...err at least until it sold it/got rid of it a few years later.

Tractionless1

Established Member
I give the crappy OEM IC pump 3 days before it quits. Looking forward to the pics of pepper sludge in it's guts. If it gets crapped up while using coolant/water mix adding pepper can't be much better. Home brew fixes are a laugh, then again so is waiting until over 100k to replace coolant on these cars.

TNTLightning

DSG Terminator
Established Member
I give the crappy OEM IC pump 3 days before it quits. Looking forward to the pics of pepper sludge in it's guts. If it gets crapped up while using coolant/water mix adding pepper can't be much better. Home brew fixes are a laugh, then again so is waiting until over 100k to replace coolant on these cars.

Gee, aren't you just God's little ray of sunshine.:rollseyes

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member

its been going well 6 days since pouring the pepper in. IC pump is pumping just as strong as it was before the pepper, and still not have lost a drop of coolant. hence only using a TEASPOON amount. the car is my DD so it sees LOTS of use. im not too worried about it. i DO appreciate your input though, and i will bump the thread 3 or 4 days from now, just for you, to let you know how that crappy IC pump is holding up. =]

no worries here.

edit: on the other hand though, i kind of hope it DOES make my IC pump "crap up" , to give me a reason to install this brand new one i have, sitting in front of me in a box. after about a week of DD use though, since adding the pepper, and pumps is still strong as ever, i have a feeling it isnt going to be "crapping up" anytime soon.

:beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread