I'm looking for 5 volunteers to test my new MT-82 shifter (base) gasket.

Gradyh

WTB MY21/22 order
Established Member
I bought my MGW when it 1st came out, at that time i didnt use dynomat and had the original track bracket. There was increased nvh but it didnt bother me. Then mgw came out with the street bracket firm rubber bushing so i took my console apart did the dynomat as thorough as can be and installed the new bracket. I now have 0 noise.. So this gasket wont help me any.. I think the barton dual post guys can benefit from this gasket more!

Great to know! thanks.

Looking forward to hearing more results, CobraBob!

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Never heard it described like that... But it is SPOT ON. Will from now on describe it using that phrase. Seriously sounds like the damn starter is sitting next to me and won't unengaged itself. LOL

I've had people ask me that. People that only know enough to know the starter makes that noise, "am I sitting on the starter? WTH man did you do?!"

I got mine installed today with before and after video of the car being started. Eating lunch real quick then gonna drive it and let all test info go to Cobrabob. I am interested to hear others results to mine.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Pic of the gasket...

9618073708_ed1b15c131_c.jpg

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Well if we are posting pictures, here are mine I took. Stock shifter. Gonna replace it soon, but it is what it is.

20130828_1157510_zpsc67f2a4c.jpg

20130828_115554_zpsfef9c3d8.jpg

20130828_115553_zps253365f5.jpg

20130828_115547_zps8b134936.jpg

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
You'd be surprised. All you are looking to do is create a sealed barrier between the shifter and where is mounts, while also creating some type of dampening affect.

The stock shifter has some cheap foam for a gasket, very pourus, unlike the gasket pictures. Also my car was built 09/10 and I've had it since 03/11 and the foam gasket was falling to pieces. So if anything this helped reseal the box and probably way better than the crappy foam ford used.

If I had gone to install a barton shifter today, I would have been installing it without a gasket the stock one was so messed up. It ripped just pulling the shifter off.

Last edited:

scott_0

Established Member
got mine installed Monday, after driving the car since then, there is a bit (very little) less noise, but the Barton has always made some vibrating noises since I installed it. I can't honestly say the gasket makes much of a difference

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I installed mine yesterday and drove around yesterday and today some. My barton shifter with 1 piece bracket has always made a rotational mechanical noise after the stock shifter. With this gasket it would say it cut the noise in half. Did not completely dull out the noise but defiantly helped.

-Thomas

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The 1/16" thickness is about as much as you'd want. Bear in mind that my original gaskets for '82 - '04 Mustangs used a 1/32" material which worked very well at suppressing transmission gear related noise. The switch to the double thickness 1/16" material last year just made it better.

I know that this gasket won't cut out 100% of the noise. My goal is to see, on average, maybe a 50% reduction. It my testers indicate that that goal is met, I'll then make it available on my website. So keep the reviews coming. I'm as interested as anyone else with how well it performs as far as reducing noise coming through the shifter.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I e-mailed you but I'll post it here too.

Since installing the barton two post i've been hearing a high pitched whine while driving with the windows up through every gear. Installing the gasket has almost eliminated that noise. I can still hear it very faintly but nothing like I could before.

So for me, was worth it. The whine was getting annoying. :D

kingnut

Established Member
50% of noise reduction will definitely make this gasket worth buying. especially when im sure its gonna be cheap and people can easily install it. i will probably pick one up after the final reviews are in.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm monitoring the reviews. Some haven't yet installed the gasket or tried it.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I installed mine and noticed at least a 50% noise reduction with my barton shifter and bracket. Very easy and simple product to install.

fwd2rwd

Established Member
ishh i want one even if its only a 25% reduction lol this has got to be one of the noisiest transmission and shifter combos ive ever owned. If you dont happen to sell to the masses id love to buy a one off

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Wonder what the reduction would be if you put 2 of these on. One on top of the other!

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I installed mine and noticed at least a 50% noise reduction with my barton shifter and bracket. Very easy and simple product to install.
Yes, it is definitely easy to install. ;-)

Wonder what the reduction would be if you put 2 of these on. One on top of the other!
I don't think you'll notice a difference between one (1/16") and two (1/8"). I wouldn't recommend it.

ishh i want one even if its only a 25% reduction lol this has got to be one of the noisiest transmission and shifter combos ive ever owned. If you dont happen to sell to the masses id love to buy a one off
At this point it appears I will make them available. Every setup is different so not everyone will necessarily experience the same level of noise reduction. The same thing applies to my other gasket sets.

Bob ill be home in a couple days like i said in the email , i promise u i will get you some feedback :beer:
That is fine. No pressure at all, my friend. :)

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Yes, it is definitely easy to install. ;-)

I don't think you'll notice a difference between one (1/16") and two (1/8"). I wouldn't recommend it.

At this point it appears I will make them available. Every setup is different so not everyone will necessarily experience the same level of noise reduction. The same thing applies to my other gasket sets.

That is fine. No pressure at all, my friend. :)

Definitely will be ordering one then!

Will they be reusable if I were to change shifters down the road?

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
cobrabob what is your website Im interested in this piece since my tranny started a faint whine very low I was shocked it appeared now since I have almost 36000 miles on the car. Going to change my fluids as well

Users who are viewing this thread