IRS upgrades ... looking for peer review

gat0r

Established Member
i have been searching for a while, but looking to see if there is anything else that I should upgrade on my IRS.

some info varies btwn posts & other info can be difficult to find.
i think this list is fairly complete. i just added the main cap stud kit to my list tonight.

currently installed:
FLSFC
Eibach sport springs
ARP extended wheel studs
billetflow diff brace

already ordered & will be installing:
stifflers jacking rails and web brace
FTBR bushing & bumpsteer kit
MM low profile bolts
billetflow irs bracket
truetrac

to be ordered & installed
gears (still deciding what ratio)
M-4413-A 8.8" IRS BEARING AND SEAL KIT
M-4210-B IRS 8.8" RING & PINION INSTALLATION KIT
M-4034-A FRPP 8.8" Ford Bearing Cap Stud Kit

oldmodman

Established Member
There is nothing I can add to that list of yours.

And please let us know how you like the Stiffler's products. Since you have the MM subframe connectors, does that prevent you from running the Stiffler's driveshaft loop? I will be very interested in hearing about any fitment problems with the web brace, since I have the Mm SFC and am interested in all the Stiffler's stuff too.

Michael Hughes

1 of 299
Established Member
Half shafts if you will make over 600 - 650 hp. And Fore diff cover if you can find one. Other wise you're doing correct.

gat0r

Established Member
Why not do the LPW diff brace and make changing fluid a ton easier and stronger.

good point, hadnt thought about fluid changes.
btw, its a whole cover versus just a brace.

i had thought about it, but 2 things kept me away from it
1. i already had BF diff brace (though i could sell it & recoup $$)
2. thought i had read that LPW diff cover wont work w/ FTBR kit. it pushes diff forward.

but will go back & weigh pros/cons for my application

cobracide

Established Member
good point, hadnt thought about fluid changes.
btw, its a whole cover versus just a brace.

i had thought about it, but 2 things kept me away from it
1. i already had BF diff brace (though i could sell it & recoup $$)
2. thought i had read that LPW diff cover wont work w/ FTBR kit. it pushes diff forward.

but will go back & weigh pros/cons for my application

Skip the Diff brace and do the LPW cover. Most people don't get the brace, just the bushings. It's a trade off but most think it's worth it. Of course you didn't mention your APPLICATION. Gears? The stockers are a pretty good ratio. Maybe 3.73 in the 1/4 though. Not a hell of a lot of difference there.

Last edited:

gat0r

Established Member
And please let us know how you like the Stiffler's products. Since you have the MM subframe connectors, does that prevent you from running the Stiffler's driveshaft loop? I will be very interested in hearing about any fitment problems with the web brace, since I have the Mm SFC and am interested in all the Stiffler's stuff too.

looks really nice. they state - "will work with most other manufacturer’s rectangular full length subframe connectors"

so i do not see why they wont work w/ my currently installed FLSFC

i forgot about the driveshaft loop :( will go back & get it later... it looks to install on the trans, so i dont see their other products messing w/ installation.

Lpw cover works fine with original FTBR kit but not with the new diff. lowering bushing.

Skip the Diff brace and do the LPW cover. Most people don't get the brace, just the bushings. It's a trade off but most think it's worth it. Of course you didn't mention your APPLICATION. Gears? The stockers are a pretty good ratio. Maybe 3.73 in the 1/4 though. Not a hell of a lot of difference there.

i'll look into the LPW cover more, thnx

application will be mostly street use & cruising w/ some 1/4 mile & autocross

currently has 4.56 from previous owner. think he mainly raced 1/8 mile
way too steep to drive around. amazingly enough while cruising on highway after breaking in my clutch i was getting 19mpg.

had cooling issues that sidelined my car for now. just got my TF tanks & new mishimoto radiator

thinking going to stock or maybe 3.27 for gearing

all of my cooling stuff is going on first, prior to IRS stuff. got to get this car reliable to drive first.

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
i'll look into the LPW cover more, thnx

application will be mostly street use & cruising w/ some 1/4 mile & autocross

currently has 4.56 from previous owner. think he mainly raced 1/8 mile
way too steep to drive around. amazingly enough while cruising on highway around breaking in my clutch i was getting 19mpg.

had cooling issues that sidelined my car for now. just got my TF tanks & new mishimoto radiator

thinking going to stock or maybe 3.27 for gearing

all of my cooling stuff is going on first, prior to IRS stuff. got to get this car reliable to drive first.

Please, do the stock 3.55's.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
I don't see it mentioned anywhere here so if I over looked it I apologize but you should seriously consider the FTBR toe links. They are far superior in strength to the stockers and more adjustable.

cobracide

Established Member
I don't see it mentioned anywhere here so if I over looked it I apologize but you should seriously consider the FTBR toe links. They are far superior in strength to the stockers and more adjustable.

I hear that but never heard of a problem with the stock toe links in terms of strength. Can you elaborate on the strength and adjustment?

Last edited:

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
I hear that but never heard of a problem with the stock toe links in terms of strength. Can you elaborate on the strength and adjustment?

Well in my own experience, while doing a dif removal for a gear swap I stripped the threads on one of the crown nuts on one of the stock toe links and had to seek replacements. I was told at three different local dealerships that Ford doesn't supply these anymore so I had to come up w/ an alternative.

I've seen one other set on a 600+ hp '04 Cobra where wheel hop essentially caused the toe links to "bow" in the middle which of course made accurate wheel alignment impossible and caused all sorts of tire wear issues. I've heard of this happening on a couple of other cars as well. Stronger toe links will will definitely help cut down on any toe weirdness that might come from wheel hop and will also likely help eliminate wheel hop all together.

I would say if you're spending money to upgrade all of the IRS components w/ better, stronger stuff I wouldn't skimp and let the toe links end up being the weak link in the whole set up. The FTBR pieces are much stronger and essentially adjustable at both ends unlike the stockers which only adjust at the outer end.

cobracide

Established Member
Well in my own experience, while doing a dif removal for a gear swap I stripped the threads on one of the crown nuts on one of the stock toe links and had to seek replacements. I was told at three different local dealerships that Ford doesn't supply these anymore so I had to come up w/ an alternative.

I've seen one other set on a 600+ hp '04 Cobra where wheel hop essentially caused the toe links to "bow" in the middle which of course made accurate wheel alignment impossible and caused all sorts of tire wear issues. I've heard of this happening on a couple of other cars as well. Stronger toe links will will definitely help cut down on any toe weirdness that might come from wheel hop and will also likely help eliminate wheel hop all together.

I would say if you're spending money to upgrade all of the IRS components w/ better, stronger stuff I wouldn't skimp and let the toe links end up being the weak link in the whole set up. The FTBR pieces are much stronger and essentially adjustable at both ends unlike the stockers which only adjust at the outer end.

Thanks! Good info. I'll definitely consider this.

Blk03CobraVenom

Love me some Boost
Established Member
I was thinking about upgrading to the LPW cover. My question is will I still be able to reuse my BF cove brace? Or do I not need it anymore with this cover? Also can you change the rear oil with this LPW cover without having to take the whole thing out? My mechanic told me that the way my stock IRS is now he would have to take the whole pumpkin out to change the fluid.

Tractionless1

Established Member
I was thinking about upgrading to the LPW cover. My question is will I still be able to reuse my BF cove brace? Or do I not need it anymore with this cover? Also can you change the rear oil with this LPW cover without having to take the whole thing out? My mechanic told me that the way my stock IRS is now he would have to take the whole pumpkin out to change the fluid.

TRash the BF cover brace you won't need it. My steeda is going on the market too when my built IRS gets here and the LPW goes on.

gat0r

Established Member

as Tractionless1 already stated, you wont need the brace w/ LPW cover.

to your other ? yes, you can change/fill diff with LPW cover on... looks like new FRPP cover has same feature.

Blk03CobraVenom

Love me some Boost
Established Member
as Tractionless1 already stated, you wont need the brace w/ LPW cover.

to your other ? yes, you can change/fill diff with LPW cover on... looks like new FRPP cover has same feature.

Oh nice! It makes me want to buy the cover more and more. :-D

greengt88

Established Member
I retained the stock cover and used FTBR's rear lowering diff mount. I think pinion angle is more of an issue than strength of the cover. Once u get the rubber out of the irs, not really anything left to promote breakage. U get no pinion angle adjustment with the lpw cover. Not saying it not a nice unit, or not worth using. I had one before ftbr came out witgh the mount. Ftbr's HD toelinks make the stockers look like tooth picks. Get them! I have everything ftbr makes on my car. I also have Steeda Springs, MMFLSC's, billetflow irs brackets, hans racecraft rear shock tower brace, bilstein hd rear shocks, detroit true trac diff. And main cap studs. Also use ARP bolts for factory cover, ones lpw includes aren't real nice either so id grab some arp's no matter which way u end up going......my car is also a vert, so its considered special needs. I have a few more things to do yet.....coil overs, and 315's....I still have some mild wheel hop, but generally only on uneven roads. If its nice and smooth it hooks fairly well with the 275's. Hope that helps u.....do ftbr's kit, its top notch! Best mod yet, other than brembos and pulley/tune.

Users who are viewing this thread