Latest Boss Info

hawkster

Established Member
Wish I could update on this subject. Whenever I find out anything ill be sure to let you know. Last I heard was fords been testing series of engines for the high powered boss. One of which was a 5.8 engine exceeded 600hp. Eariliest production of something like this is 2010 or 2011. I posted this long ago on this subject. I just hope ford makes it through everything. Both my grandpas retired from Ford and my dads looking to retire now in June.

Black93Cobra

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
No, that's the point;-) 5.4 liters is 5.4 liters regardless of B/S, same with 5.0Ls. Personally I'd take the extra displacement everytime since it has the capability of making more power.
I know this is a bit out there by comparison but the Tymensky's spun their Al rod big bore 359 (3.70x4.165") to 9300rpm. vs. 10000rpm for the BB 305. With steel rods again, either can spin high enough for any streetable trans to have shifting issues.

Certainly there is something to be said for more displacement for the reasons you outlined, you'll get no argument there. However, in the case of the Boss Mustang, displacement is a critical part of the legacy (much more than with ANY other Mustang). No other Mustang model is so clearly and distinctly tied to a particular engine displacement. Simply calling it a Boss Mustang isn't enough. If Ford can't offer a suitable Boss 302 Mustang (which from all available information it can't) then they should wait until a 5.8L H/Boss engine is ready for production and market a Boss 351. To successfully market a Boss Mustang it has to deliver on two fronts (1) performance in all categories, handling, braking and power and (2) heritage. Particularly on this last point, the 5.4L comes up short or long depending upon your displacement ;-)

Fourcam330

Established Member
Black93Cobra said:
Certainly there is something to be said for more displacement for the reasons you outlined, you'll get no argument there. However, in the case of the Boss Mustang, displacement is a critical part of the legacy (much more than with ANY other Mustang). No other Mustang model is so clearly and distinctly tied to a particular engine displacement. Simply calling it a Boss Mustang isn't enough. If Ford can't offer a suitable Boss 302 Mustang (which from all available information it can't) then they should wait until a 5.8L H/Boss engine is ready for production and market a Boss 351. To successfully market a Boss Mustang it has to deliver on two fronts (1) performance in all categories, handling, braking and power and (2) heritage. Particularly on this last point, the 5.4L comes up short or long depending upon your displacement ;-)

I guess it really depends on what you care more about, heritage, or power/ultimate power potential. I think we both know where each other stands. :p

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Realistically, the Boss 302 from back in the day wasn't exactly fast. So if you're talking about heritage, horsepower shouldn't be one of the most important things.

Another thing, the Boss 351, although powerful, wasn't well recognized. If Ford's going to capitalize on the Boss history, it needs to be the Boss 302, or atleast a small high winding V8 of sorts.

A 380 bhp DOHC 4.6L shounds right about par for the Boss' continuation. Ideal would be the 5.0L cammer, but reasonable would be the 4.6L.

Considering the Shelby GT, and Ford GT, a Boss GT sounds realistic as far as names, and that basically allows for any engine along with keeping the heritage alive.

JMO.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
A 380 bhp DOHC 4.6L shounds right about par for the Boss' continuation. Ideal would be the 5.0L cammer, but reasonable would be the 4.6L.

if they could have gotten that much horsepower out of an 4.6 dohc, and had it pass all emissions and durability testing we would not have a blower on the 03/04 mustang svt's. the whole reason coletti and svt went the blower route was because they were not able to get that much power out of a n/a 4.6.

so no the the boss will not feature a 4.6 or 5.0 based on one reason. the ford congregants and historians all want a boss that will compete on the track. with this in mind i see a 400hp+ al 5.8 boss engine with a handling package in 2010. we all know how fast ford builds engines and new cars.;-)

Black93Cobra

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
if they could have gotten that much horsepower out of an 4.6 dohc, and had it pass all emissions and durability testing we would not have a blower on the 03/04 mustang svt's. the whole reason coletti and svt went the blower route was because they were not able to get that much power out of a n/a 4.6.

so no the the boss will not feature a 4.6 or 5.0 based on one reason. the ford congregants and historians all want a boss that will compete on the track. with this in mind i see a 400hp+ al 5.8 boss engine with a handling package in 2010. we all know how fast ford builds engines and new cars.;-)

Agreed and certainly the right approach in my book. Bring on the Mach I in 2009!! :)

jshen

Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
Realistically, the Boss 302 from back in the day wasn't exactly fast. So if you're talking about heritage, horsepower shouldn't be one of the most important things.

Another thing, the Boss 351, although powerful, wasn't well recognized. If Ford's going to capitalize on the Boss history, it needs to be the Boss 302, or atleast a small high winding V8 of sorts.
JMO.

If my memory is correct, the Boss 351 wasn't well recognized because it came out late in 1971 for 1/2 a model year when everyone was dropping compression. I remember the Car and Driver magazine article "Behold a Pale Horse" when the Boss 351 was featured. The writers recognized the end in sight for high compression - high hp cars.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
jshen said:
If my memory is correct, the Boss 351 wasn't well recognized because it came out late in 1971 for 1/2 a model year when everyone was dropping compression. I remember the Car and Driver magazine article "Behold a Pale Horse" when the Boss 351 was featured. The writers recognized the end in sight for high compression - high hp cars.
Which is unfortunate because that's actually a pretty neat car, and was one of the fastest Fords of the era.

I agree that a 380 hp n/a 4.6 isn't really realistic, but as far as heritage, it would make a nice addition. You're right, we do know how long it takes Ford to build cars and engines. It's too bad they can't introduce it, and build it within the same year while the hype is still high.

TRXboy

Established Member
This may have been covered but i dont feel like shoveling though the 8 layers of BS goin on.

Fourcam - Anyword on the weight of this animal?

p.s - This whole heritage thing with the "Boss 302 need's to have a 5.0". Give me a break, if all american car company's have to offer is remakes of there cars from 40 year's ago, and are hung up in duplicating it, then they are doomed. I'm still interested in seeing in were Ford is going with this whole retro thing with the mustang. That goes for the new camaro and Challanger(what's in 10 year's, a retro four eye mustang? Bring back the T-tops!).

Fourcam330

Established Member
TRXboy said:
p.s - This whole heritage thing with the "Boss 302 need's to have a 5.0". Give me a break, if all american car company's have to offer is remakes of there cars from 40 year's ago, and are hung up in duplicating it, then they are doomed. I'm still interested in seeing in were Ford is going with this whole retro thing with the mustang. That goes for the new camaro and Challanger(what's in 10 year's, a retro four eye mustang? Bring back the T-tops!).

Agreed. Something else to think about is that Boss 302s were pigs until high rpm, absolute dogs. That's not something I'd desire in any type of car, regardless of historical reference.
My speculation on weight: 3600-3650lbs.

nrmustang

Established Member
First, Im not trying to stir up trouble or offend anyone who has extensive knowledge of the Ford Mod motors.

I just want to share with everyone a little info from Ford AU since everyone here likes to gang up and bash on fellow members.

Falcon 5.4 Heads: Based on Cobra R on not?

www.fpv.com.au/cars/gt/enginetransmission/heads.aspx

If the link doesnt come up then just go to www.fpv.com.au

Please remember that Ford Performance Vehicles AU is the equivilant of SVT here, and this is the official website.

If anything enjoy the pics of the SRT-8 counterparts we have down under fighting for the Blue oval. And please refrain from insults or degrading comments Fourcam330. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
when all you read is marketing info, its easy to get the facts wrong.

would you take Al's word for it? he's forgotten more about building mod motors than you've even read about.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3240612&postcount=26
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3242075&postcount=28
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3244736&postcount=36

nrmustang said:
First, Im not trying to stir up trouble or offend anyone who has extensive knowledge of the Ford Mod motors.

I just want to share with everyone a little info from Ford AU since everyone here likes to gang up and bash on fellow members.

Please remember that Ford Performance Vehicles AU is the equivilant of SVT here, and this is the official website.

If anything enjoy the pics of the SRT-8 counterparts we have down under fighting for the Blue oval. And please refrain from insults or degrading comments Fourcam330. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
jshen said:

I think the real issue with the BOSS 351 was that it was a 71-3 big body Mustang which many Mustang die-hards did not like. They felt it was too large. I have heard some refer to it as the Torino Mustang. The BOSS 351 was a full year (1971) production car with 11.5 compression ratio, as was the 71 429CJ and SCJ Mustang with 11.3 C.R. The issue in the mustang hobby was the large body, which in my opinion is a very nice car. The 1972 R-Code Mustang which was available in all body styles, (unlike the 71 BOSS 351 which was only available in a Sportroof) was the "detuned" BOSS 351. Like the 71 BOSS, the 72 R-Code still had the solid lifter camshaft, but was not high compression. The interesting fact is that the 71 BOSS 351 was the fastest production Mustang that could consistantly run 1/4 mile times in the mid-high 13's. The 1995 Cobra R was the first production Mustang since the Muscle Mustang era to match and beat those mid-13's consistantly on its assy. line street tires.

R

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
nrmustang said:

Listen wonderboy. I abstained from personal comment while you ran your ignorant smartass mouth, and even called you out on it without replying in turn.
Now, do yourself a favor, take the blatantly wrong misinformation that comprises your posts and get the **** out of this thread.
For the last time:

You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Move On.

nrmustang

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Listen wonderboy. I abstained from personal comment while you ran your ignorant smartass mouth, and even called you out on it without replying in turn.
Now, do yourself a favor, take the blatantly wrong misinformation that comprises your posts and get the **** out of this thread.
For the last time:

You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Move On.

Did you at least enjoy the pics?:shrug:

Fourcam330

Established Member
nrmustang said:
Did you at least enjoy the pic?:shrug:

My personal favorite (thanks John)

popepleasestop.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread