• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Latest Boss Info

Discussion in 'SVT Shelby GT500' started by Fourcam330, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Dave07997S

Dave07997S New Member Established Member

The view of Ford and GM is that higher gas prices are here to stay hence the closing of GM's truck plants. Not to mention the fervor in which Ford and other US manafacturers are trying to push out newer cars. Also keep in mind that China and other countries are also stock piling oil supplies in case of a shortage (like our own strategic reserve) and there will be very little excess supply left out there. I do think that they can drop some but we aren't going to see under $3 per gallon fuel costs anymore.

Dave

2. Ry_Trapp0

Ry_Trapp0 Condom Model Established Member

what about the 6.2 for the trucks? even with these gas prices, ford really needs something more than the 5.4. hell, the 5.4 gets the same gas mileage as the higher power V8s, but with less power! c'mon ford!

3. chuckstang

chuckstang Active Member Established Member

so the new '10 Cobra will get a 5.0 blown engine?

We need more cubes not less

Actually the GT500 does not need more power, just needs to lose 300 pounds and it would dominate even more so than it already does

4. Dave07997S

Dave07997S New Member Established Member

You are right Chuck, but it's cheaper to add hp than it is to cut weight.

5. FBMphil

FBMphil New Member Established Member

No, it's still an S/C 5.4 for '10.

"More cubes not less" will never happen again. Get used to smaller engines and power adders. But, say hello to lighter (and more expensive) vehicles.

6. WVUAnt

WVUAnt Lets Go!!..... Established Member

Can you say diesel???

7. Ry_Trapp0

we need less weight, not more.
    no matter how good the fuel mileage may be for a diesel, a lot of buyers may still use the ignorant mantality that the diesel will cost more to operate because fuel costs more than gas. so a large gas engine is very neccesary. im looking forward to the 4.4l V8 diesel though!

8. WVUAnt

WVUAnt Lets Go!!..... Established Member

Hopefully the revised 5.4 and 6 speed auto will yield nice gains in performance and fuel economy. IMO the Boss motor will do nothing but stroke Ford rep in the car magazines. The bulk of the trucks sold will still be the 5.4 as the fuel mileage will win out over brawn. Not to mention the appearance of an EB v6 and the 4.4 diesel.

9. Ry_Trapp0

yea, hopefully they can squeeze more MPGs out of all of the mod engines. the revised 5.4 will debut what ford is calling "open valve injection" with 320hp and 390lb-ft on E85 and 310hp and 365lb-ft on standard gas. the "open valve injection" is pretty much self explanatory. it opens up the intake valve when it squirts the fuel instead of just squirting it against the valve. ford really needs this 6 speed and needs it bad! the F150 is usually the slower truck in all comparisons, yet gets middle of the pack(if not worse) fuel consumption. hopefully this "open valve injection" and 6 speed will boost it to cheby levels.

10. Black86

Black86 New Member Established Member

Well if that isn't the under statement of the decade.

I'm starting to understand why everybody other than us die-hard Ford nuts hates Ford.

I think I'm gonna put an LS1 is my Mustang next, this company has zero loyalty to their most loyal customers, no wonder they are in so much trouble, you have a bunch of business morons running a car company.

Total Performance is dead, I wonder if this means SVT is too, how are they going to drive the Raptor up Toyota's ass now that they won;t even be able to catch it?

That Hemi Ram just started looking a lot better..

:fm::fm::cuss::cuss::mj::mj::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono:

It's gonna be funny when the gas bubble breaks, Ford will once again be caught with their pants down.

11. Black86

So this thread turned out to be the biggest tease ever, Ford hasn't changed a bit over the years, they still are best at pissing us off, might as well bring Jac the knife back, what difference would it make?

http://www.autonews.com/

12. Ry_Trapp0

and what the hell do you suppose they do??? just keep pumping out the trucks with sub-20MPG numbers at the same steady pace they always have, filling up the lots, losing even more cash??? meanwhile, GM has already closed doors on 4 truck plants, canceled any future development on their next pickup platform, and chrysler is close behind, idling 3 or so of their truck plants. dont forget about toyota considering producing more camrys in the indiana tundra plant. all the while, ford is taking 3 of theirs, and using them to produce small, quality, european vehicles that, appeal to the market(we've only been yelling for them for the past 5+ years), and get damn good gas mileage. and, need i remind you of the CAFE deadline looming? so, please, enlighten us with your great wisdom if you have any better ideas!

ford isnt pissing us off, big oil/market analysts/who ever the hell is causing the oil price eruption and congress/the tree huggers are.

13. Black86

So you think Ford should stop building trucks altogether?????????????????

Don't blame others for Ford waving the white flag, they can't pull through with anything, nothing but a bunch of wishy washy idiots who don't know how to pull anything off.

For all we know gas prices could go way back down, then what?

Ford never thinks long term, it's always trying to live in the moment, in an industry that takes years to change..

Ford still sold over 40,000 F-series last month, not bad numbers considering gas prices..

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  14. IEatGt's

IEatGt's FormerGarageQueenPro Established Member

Don't bet on it!!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  15. redline

redline Active Member Established Member

16. FBMphil

FBMphil New Member Established Member

Ford really doesn't care what you think. This engine was never meant to be a performance engine nor a high volume engine considering it's going to be putting out 400+ horsepower. It's the replacement for the V10. With gas prices over $4/gallon, who the hell in their right mind is going to buy a 6.2L F-150 when the 5.4 is more than adequate and even THAT isn't selling?

17. Black86

That is it pretty much it in a nutshell.

Ford doesn't care what customers think, which is why they struggle and have lost marketshare year after year after year.

Not exactly the best way to run a business, not caring about what your customers want/think.:nonono:

I don't know about that, the Raptor was supposed to be a performance truck, and if you really want to go there, the mods were designed to a lo-po FWD boulevard cruiser, hence the small bores. To think of the potential of the Boss makes me sick as an enthusiast, it's a sad sad day.

I still haven't seen any evidence that the 6.2 would get worse FE than the 5.4, the 5.4 isn't exactly known for being a fuel sipper. And the Boss is supposed to be DI/VCT and VDE capable.

And the difference is probably like 1 mpg or less between the engines, which is meaningless, and since we're paying 4.50 a gallon, I'd at least like to enjoy burning through my cash. It's not like those opting for the 6.2 care about gas prices anyways, look at all the people here who paid huge mark-ups on their GT500's, people that can afford the SVT's, the Raptor's, etc. Can afford the gas.

18. Ry_Trapp0

ford doesnt care what the customer thinks??? what about the highly requested european cars we will be getting in a couple of years(including the gen 3 euro focus)? what about the high MPG cars they will be making in those few retooled truck plants? guess what! you arent the majority! thus, you get ignored. the majority doesnt want pickup trucks, just look at the monthly sales(ever pickup has tanked HUGE). the majority wants fun, stylish little cars that get GREAT gas mileage! what is ford doing? getting read to supply those!

i dont even know why im still posting, you CLEARLY have your blinders on.

19. Fourcam330

Fourcam330 New Member Established Member

Scaled back isn't synonymous with dead. On the other hand I agree, the 5.4 3v is a dog.

20. Dusten

Dusten Well-Known Member Established Member

andy, can you give an insight on what this means for the raptor?