Lower control arms ?

NuclearPower

Established Member
New Purchase

Just got off the phone with Van at Revan Racing...ordered Bob's LCA in black anodized. Also ordered an adjustable UCA by BMR. Van is great. In all Van spent about an hour and a half talking with me helping me understand and his experience with each product. Well worth your time to call him!:rockon:

Thanks Van!:beer:

Ray Lucca

Established Member
What about the J&M kits??? They seemed to be very popular early on through Hotpart.com....UCA, LCA, and Re-lo Bracket Kits.... Just curious here, lots of people have used them, seem to be in the BMR price range.....

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I have a new set of J&M lowers for sale in the market section...

NuclearPower

Established Member
Just received my first real mod...Bob's black anodized LCAs! They look sweet. Can't wait to install them! Still waiting on the UCA to come in though. My addiction has officially started.:dancenana:

Steve@BAS

Established Member
Just received my first real mod...Bob's black anodized LCAs! They look sweet. Can't wait to install them! Still waiting on the UCA to come in though. My addiction has officially started.:dancenana:

Thanks for your business! Enjoy.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Man I left the thread once the OP said he was using Revan Racing.

OP nice to see you were taken care of.:beer:

Last edited:

Sharad

Junior Woodchuck
Established Member
^^I've put thousands of miles on my bushings and no noise at all, nor have I regreased since installation. I worked with Prothane a really well respected polyurethane bushing manufacturer and they were the ones who really convinced me on that point. :shrug:

Who is giving you your info on that? I would love to read a link on that, I can change mine easy enough if that were true.

EDIT : Btw, I had a set of BMR in my car, before I even started making car parts, I could feel it slide around and it was a noisy bushing. Then I ordered a set of UPR, and when I got them I didn't like the look of the bushings (particularly the 3 large washers, and the thin metal outer edge). That is what made me make my own LCAs. After I posted pics here and got so many people complementing them I went into production. So I know BMR is not the "end all" market leader. One of my insurance agents quoted them and told me they don't even own their own CNC mills. I have rows of them in my shop.

Modular Speed works for BMR. And FULL DISCLAIMER before I am called out... I work for UPR.

I have UPR upper and lowers with relocation brackets and adj pan hard bar. Could not be happier. Absolutely no wheel hop and the ride is smooth as hell depending on road conditions. JMO

^^Of course, I'm running the UPR arms on my S197 GT and I'm very happy with them as well.

Regarding poly bushings vs heim joints- I like to see control arms with either a combination of poly/heim, or heim joints on both ends when used on cars with the kind of power most bolt-on GT500s make, especially if they will be drag raced on sticky tires. However, we have a 2010 GT making over 700rwhp and running 9s in the quarter on our poly/poly lower control arms. In reference to what 2010Shelby said about all the washers with our billet LCAs, our chrome-moly LCAs do not use those washers. They have a pretty unique Energy Suspension bushing setup. (large metal sleeves, thinner bushings)

dkscobra2003

Flying For A Living
Established Member
If you look at a pair of relo brackets, the mounting holes are drilled in such a way as to maintain pinion angle. In other words, the mounting holes are more "forward" as compared to the mounting hole in the axle tube bracket. As a result, pinion angle is unaffected by relo brackets. So it is not necessary to change LCA length just because you install relo brackets.

An upper is usually needed when you lower the car, because that does change pinion angle. Just trying to clarify for the OP.

Very true. That is why I have solid LCA.:shrug:

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Use the Steeda Billets LCA's....no issues yet. Nice ride, and the few times I have launched, I seem to not wheel hop hard.

Real test soon, as I will be at Palm Beach this Weds.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
like i have said before, if i were to do it all over again i would go with bobs auto sport. Great price, good looking product, and love helping out the little guy.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
After a lot of discussion about my goals, Van suggested adjustable LCA's and Relo Brackets so I can adjust the length and adjust the anti-squat geometry better and dial in a better pinion angle etc.. Most drag race cars go double adjustable but he suggested single adjustable to keep good street drive-ability.

If you are not looking to do much dial-in to minimize your 60' times, you should not need adjustable parts. It will take a lot of work and time for me to get into the 1.5 second 60' time and the ability to adjust suspension is key. It might be the difference between 11's and 10's in the quarter-mile.

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
Very true. That is why I have solid LCA.:shrug:

There are a million different possible uca, lca, and lca relo bracket combinations and everyone seems to have an opinion about whats best and what you do/dont need.

I am going to relate my recent experience just for information purposes.

My old control arm combo was J&M uca w/Metco bracket, J&M billet lca it worked ok, wheel hop was non existant, and I was fine with it.

But like most GT500 owners I was looking for more traction to put my 700+ rwhp to the ground. I decided to add a CHE lca relo bracket to help with the lack of traction.

When I talked to Van about relo brackets he told me that a adjustable lca might become necessary when using relos to recenter the rearend. I decided to go ahead with the relos and see what it looked like after the install.

Well after the CHE relo install, I wasnt comfortable with how far the brackets had moved my rearend towards the back of the car. It wasnt a ton but with my 28.6" tall 315 NT05's it was noticeable. I really didnt like how far the bump stop had moved in its bracket.

th_IMAG0488.jpg

th_IMAG0491.jpg

th_IMAG0487.jpg

Some may have been fine with it but I decided to order a set of the Maximum Motorsport Extreme lca's mostly based on Tob's experience with them.
XD Rear Lower Control Arms, 2005+ Mustang [Mm5RLCA-53] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!
I havent recieved the lca's yet but will chime in once I install them.

So be advised that if you plan to use a relo bracket this could also become an issue with you.

It seems like not everyone using a relo bracket has had this issue. I hadnt even thought/heard about till Van brought it up.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
When you finally open up that box, setting aside all the packaging and are holding them in your bare hands, I want to know what the first word your mind utters is...

NuclearPower

Established Member
When you finally open up that box, setting aside all the packaging and are holding them in your bare hands, I want to know what the first word your mind utters is...

If you are talking about Bob's...When i opened the box and saw the black anodized I thought WOW these are fantastic, money well spent...then i thought...dang somebody left their fingerprints on them! I need to clean than spotless before I can but them on the car:rolling::lol1:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
While not my intent, I can certainly see the duality of my statement as a result of inadvertent ambiguity.

The fit and finish of each arm is top notch as well as both of them offering nothing less than complete and total satisfaction.

bull3441

Established Member
i had the Steeda's and switched to Bob's. Bob's are very well made and i like the extended bushings and grease nipples.

NuclearPower

Established Member
Finally installed the Bob's LCA yesterday. Took it out for a short drive and the difference is immediate. Just going down the driveway curb I could tell a difference in the rear end play. The Bobs are great. Defenitely a slightly harsher ride, but well worth the price for the quality and rigidity that it adds. I'll post up impressions after I drive it to work this week. 500 miles of back road Texas blacktop, shitting blacktop too!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
What about the J&M kits??? They seemed to be very popular early on through Hotpart.com....UCA, LCA, and Re-lo Bracket Kits.... Just curious here, lots of people have used them, seem to be in the BMR price range.....

i actually still run my J&M ajustable UCA and Billet LCA an J&M Panhard with no issues

NuclearPower

Established Member
So on the drive to wrok this morning, first time with the Bob's LCA...there is defenitely a whistle or whine coming from the rear of the car. I don't remember this from before, at least not this loud. Don't get me wrong, the tire noise drones it out above 40 mph or so, But from a standstill to about 25 mph it is there and was not before...anybody have similar experience?

Users who are viewing this thread