Lunar Guages or Ultra Lite? Which looks better to the stock guages?

Which guages look better?

• Lunar

Votes: 304 71.4%
  • Ultra Lite

Votes: 70 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 52 12.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBriBro

Established Member
Wings65288 said:
Hi :rolling:

Thats a tough qestion, for someone who has rebuilt their own engine, it's childs play, to someone who can't even change their own oil, I'd say it's damn near impossible, so what's your skill level?

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
yea good point, well i was going to change my own oil for the first time this weekend. someone explained what i gotta do and it doesn't seem hard i'm using mobil-1 5w30 btw. so thats pretty much my skill level, what do you think the best route i do? i would really like a a/f gauge and a boost. i hear a/f is really important and i plan on modding a LOT with in the next couple of months. thanks for the help

BBriBro

Established Member
Wings65288 said:
someone explained what i gotta do and it doesn't seem hard
No offense, but if someone had to explain how to change the oil, then you might run into some trouble when it comes to running wires through the firewall, tapping into the fuse box, installing oil sending units, replacing fuel rail schrader valve with flex hose and another sender, drilling and tapping exhaust manifold, etc.

Last edited:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
yea your right, i just wanted to know where i had to start and i think i have a lot of reading ahead. i need to find someone that lives near me who knows a lot about that

WDW MKR

Established Member
Wings65288 said:
yea good point, well i was going to change my own oil for the first time this weekend. someone explained what i gotta do and it doesn't seem hard i'm using mobil-1 5w30 btw. so thats pretty much my skill level, what do you think the best route i do? i would really like a a/f gauge and a boost. i hear a/f is really important and i plan on modding a LOT with in the next couple of months. thanks for the help

Don't bother with the Autometer A/F gauge... it's not much more than a light show. If you want true air/fuel readings, you need to pick up a wideband O2 setup. There are a few good, inexpensive units on the market from places like DynoJet and LM1.

hmwave

Established Member
WDW MKR said:
Don't bother with the Autometer A/F gauge... it's not much more than a light show. If you want true air/fuel readings, you need to pick up a wideband O2 setup. There are a few good, inexpensive units on the market from places like DynoJet and LM1.

The Autometer A/F gauge can be made to work with an LM-1 but it has to be calibrated.
I'm waiting on the Innovate Motorsports Digital AFR gauge for the LM-1 due 1Q05.

jiggy988

Established Member
quick question..... should i get a boost/vac guage or just a boost guage for the a-pillar? i got the dual pillar from speedofsound. what other guage should i get?

Last edited:

rips-stang

Established Member
jiggy988 said:
quick question..... should i get a boost/vac guage or just a boost guage for the a-pillar? i got the dual pillar from speedofsound. what other guage should i get?

IMO you should get fuel pressure and oil pressure guages. Your factory boost guage works just fine. If you need it to read more than the factory 10 psi, get the Hilton overlay for it and its good up to 16 psi.

hmwave

Established Member
jiggy988 said:

Good advice above.
However if you still want the aftermarket boost best get the boost/vac as it will tell you if the expected vac at idle is good or not.

sonicblurrr

Established Member
autometer a/f useless i went with fuel and volt meter since boost replaces
voltage in stock cluster.

acrod

Established Member
Ive seen some fuel pressure guages that go to 15 psi and some that go to 100 psi, is any which one better?

BBriBro

Established Member
acrod said:
Ive seen some fuel pressure guages that go to 15 psi and some that go to 100 psi, is any which one better?
it's not a matter of which one is "better," it's a matter of the right gauge for the application, 15 psi is fine for carbureted cars, but any fuel injection system will be much higher than that, that gauge will be pegged as soon as you turn on the key, and will stay there indefinately, go for the 100 psi.

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
I didnt realize how expensive the gauges were...damn $200 for a boost/vac gauge...woo, have to hold off for a week or two...

BBriBro

Established Member
blk04cobra1 said:
I didnt realize how expensive the gauges were...damn $200 for a boost/vac gauge...woo, have to hold off for a week or two...
You must be looking at the electric version, the mechanical boost gauges are around $45-$50. egauges.com

04torchred

Established Member
BBriBro said:
I really like my ultra-lites, Unfortunately the Lunars aren't available in as many styles as the others, so I really had no choice for what I wanted, CLICK HERE for plenty of pics.

EDIT: CLICK HERE for info on the LED bulbs, rather than standard green incandescent bulbs.

The ultra lites look good and they match the stock gauge face much better then the white lunars. How much did you pay for the 4 led bulbs and where did you get them from. I am up here in Calgary Canada and would like to know if I can get them from a local store or if I have to order them from the US.

oldmodman

Established Member
Super Bright LED's has a new style of bulb which might be even better. It has five led's. One super bright on shining forward and four regular brightness facing out the sides.

WLED-5 Wide Angle LED bulb
12 VDC 5-LED Wedge Base bulb (194/168 type)
Super Wide Viewing Angle bulb uses 4 radially mounted LEDs aiming out the sides and one High Flux LED on top
Non Polarized
$ 2.79

Here's the catalog page, it's about 8 up from the bottom of the page.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread