Mustang Line-up

Iman01

Established Member
I got to take my first good look at a Shelby this weekend at a dealership. It was all black and it looked awesome. It was already sold. And they have more people on their list than they have cars alloted for the next 2 years.

But the visit got me thinking...

Currently the demand for these is far greater than the supply and the prices on these are pretty high at a lot of places. And there are a lot of customers that are willing to pay as much as $80,000 for one. But when looking at this car it definitely does not fill the shoes of an $80,000 car. I don't want to knock the car because I do feel it is the best Mustang to date but the use of black plastic and stickers for stripes is pretty atrocious.

But this does tell me that if Ford built a mustang to fill the ~$80,000 price tag people would buy it. Put some nice wheels on it, perfect paint with painted stripes and clear coat over them. Color-match the mirrors and lower pieces of the car. IRS like the car was meant to get. All in all, step it up for the quality of the car.

With that in mind I would still like to see the current car built to the $40,000 price tag they originally suggested.

What do you think?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I agree and have always felt Ford was missing something in the line of a sports car to compete directly with the corvette, and Viper.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Iman01 said:
But when looking at this car it definitely does not fill the shoes of an $80,000 car.
...But this does tell me that if Ford built a mustang to fill the ~$80,000 price tag people would buy it.
...With that in mind I would still like to see the current car built to the $40,000 price tag they originally suggested.

What do you think?

ford does not sell the gt500 for $80k. so i do not see the reason it should look like an 80 grand car. how bout the new xkr? now there is an $80k car!:idea:

the shelby gt500 is built and sold the $40,000 price tag they originally suggested. to be precise ford is selling every 07 shelby gt500 no option coupe for a little under $36,000. and for that money, you are getting one hell of a car!:D

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
Iman01 said:
I got to take my first good look at a Shelby this weekend at a dealership. It was all black and it looked awesome. It was already sold. And they have more people on their list than they have cars alloted for the next 2 years.

?

What ever you do DON'T say they are spoken for! LOL

Sorry I had to do it!:poke:

Tim:p

Iman01

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
ford does not sell the gt500 for $80k. so i do not see the reason it should look like an 80 grand car. how bout the new xkr? now there is an $80k car!:idea:

the shelby gt500 is built and sold the $40,000 price tag they originally suggested. to be precise ford is selling every 07 shelby gt500 no option coupe for a little under $36,000. and for that money, you are getting one hell of a car!:D

The point I am making is people would pay $80k for a mustang. I feel Ford should make one to fill that price tag.

And a 420hp jag-you-our is not what I had in mind...0-60 in 4.9? I think Jag has potential, but more power is needed.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Iman01 said:
The point I am making is people would pay $80k for a mustang. I feel Ford should make one to fill that price tag.

And a 420hp jag-you-our is not what I had in mind...0-60 in 4.9? I think Jag has potential, but more power is needed.

i think your wrong. people are complaining about a 40k mustang. also you do not build a 80k dollar anything based on a 20k chasis. thats just common sense. the reason it is selling is because the old shelby are so expensive today. without the word shelby on it, people would only be paying 10k over on the new 07 mustang svt.

since when did i say anything on performance? i only said you are right the mustang is not worth 80g's, the new xkr is. when you look at the fit, finish, chasis, int, lux, tech it is. the xkr far outweights the gt500 in terms of worth.

if you want a car to rival the top vette, viper, and porsche then ford needs to step up with an all new 2 door sports car with a highly engineered light chasis. you cant not build a car to rival these cars on a massed produced cheap chasis.:bash:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
if you want a car to rival the top vette, viper, and porsche then ford needs to step up with an all new 2 door sports car with a highly engineered light chasis.

I agree, and I think that's what Ford needs. That would take a little pressure off the mustang to be more than it is, and it would give Ford a little more financial freedom to build a car more capable of competing with the vette and viper. By financial freedom I mean, right now Ford has to build a very capable mustang on a budget to atleast attempt to stand up to the competition. Instead of having to keep it under $40k and short changing us on interior and fit/finish type stuff, they now could cap it at $80k, and build a damn nice 2 door sports car with some wicked hardware, and precision assembly.

For example, something like a Ford version of the Aston Martin V12 Vanquish, but less exotic, and obviously cheaper. Of course then we may have the same problem of Ford trying to build a $250k luxo car for $80k.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
More Like something New to fill the Gap Between the GT500 and Ford GT. Something on Par with the Corvette. Something New.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
chuckstang said:
well the new cobra roadster got the axe as did they gr1 which would have filled the 80k price range :(

Yeah, the "Daisy" concept roadster was sweet....but because of it's roots it had "Shelby" written all over it. Do we need another Shelby?..How about just a great performing Ford sports car? Have you seen the Giugaro Mustang concept? Looks like a 2-seater...maybe that's where Ford is going.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Your question is rather moot. Ford has marketed a $40K car not an $80K car. For $40K I think it's a fair price for what your getting. What ever the dealers charge or what the customers is willing to pay over sticker is irrelevant to your original question.

magred

Established Member
Actually the guy is right. Ford does need something in that niche. A nice two seater that is lightweight. But then again that is the problem with GM, Ford and Dodge. They are always behind the curve. GM just recently came out with the Solstice to counter the Miata. Geeze, how many Miatas did Mazda have to sell before GM got the idea? Both of these manufacturers need to think forward instead of reacting to a competitors product. Damn, can you imagine if FORD were to make a nice sports car and put in one of their S/C engines and at the same time keep the car lite. For a business to succeed you have to give the people a product they want. They have did just this with the GT500 but they need to do it with their other products. As for quality, the Milan just scored better than the Camry. So that tells you they have the potential.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
SlowSVT said:
Ford has marketed a $40K car not an $80K car.
That's pretty much what he's saying. If people are willing to pay $80k now for a mustang after it's marked up, it means the market is there for an $80k sports car from Ford.

The Ford GT was $160k, not even part of this discussion. We're talking about something in between.

Users who are viewing this thread