Mustang Line-up

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
That's pretty much what he's saying. If people are willing to pay $80k now for a mustang after it's marked up, it means the market is there for an $80k sports car from Ford.

The Ford GT was $160k, not even part of this discussion. We're talking about something in between.

there is no way people would pay 80k for a mustang. people are complaining about paying 35k. i am not paying 35 for a mustang. i have heard it over and over again.

you do not build a 80k car on a 20k mass produced chasis! that is just stupid!!!!!!:nonono::bash:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
there is no way people would pay 80k for a mustang. people are complaining about paying 35k. i am not paying 35 for a mustang. i have heard it over and over again.

you do not build a 80k car on a 20k mass produced chasis! that is just stupid!!!!!!:nonono::bash:
I don't think you're getting it. Right now people are paying nearly $80 for the Shelby after markup. We're saying, if people are willing to pay that for a mustang, then the market is surely there for Ford to build an $80K sports car (not a mustang) that is superior and more advanced and more competitive to the Z06 and Viper, and built on an entirely different chassis.

That way the Mustang can quit trying to be more than it really is, and stay lower priced with it's cheap plastics and such. For those Ford fans out there that want a sports car, their only option is a Mustang right now. Ford needs an $80k sports car that isn't a mustang.

Last edited:

BWH2003

Established Member
ON D BIT said:

stop thinking out of your pocket book. Again what he is saying is if people are willing to lay down 80k including markup for a GT500, Ford should just make a better car to fill that gap that would be priced around that same mark. If people are already paying it for the GT500 what would stop them from paying the same price for a better car? Are you failing to realize this part?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
BWH2003 said:
If people are already paying it for the GT500 what would stop them from paying the same price for a better car? Are you failing to realize this part?

he is saying people will pay 80k for a better mustang. this is not true.

also ford can build a better car from scratch for 80k than upgrading an old cheap chasis and selling that for 80k. that is the point. just look at the vette vs the gt500? light car with less horsepower and same price, equalls the gt500 at the strip and beats the gt500 on a road course!

yes people will pay 80k for a 2 seat sports car. no they will not spend 80k for a mustang on a cheap chasis. it does not work.

SlowSVT

Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
That's pretty much what he's saying. If people are willing to pay $80k now for a mustang after it's marked up, it means the market is there for an $80k sports car from Ford.

The Ford GT was $160k, not even part of this discussion. We're talking about something in between.

An MSRP $80K limited production sports car from Ford will be going out the door for $120K after dealer mark-up. Same boat different car :shrug:

The problem is people with deep pocket want the GT500 NOW and are unwilling to wait. That's is what is driving the cost. In 6 months they will be selling at MSRP. In one year they will be offering incentives. In 18 months they will be sitting on the lots waiting to get sold once the demand is satified.

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
he is saying people will pay 80k for a better mustang. this is not true.

also ford can build a better car from scratch for 80k than upgrading an old cheap chasis and selling that for 80k. that is the point. just look at the vette vs the gt500? light car with less horsepower and same price, equalls the gt500 at the strip and beats the gt500 on a road course!

yes people will pay 80k for a 2 seat sports car. no they will not spend 80k for a mustang on a cheap chasis. it does not work.

You guys are in violent agreement!

On D Bit - he was saying: IF some people are willing to drop $80K on a GT500, then surely there is a market for a NEW (non-Mustang) car in that price range (say $60-80K), built on a NEW chassis and designed from the ground up to compete with the C6/Viper.

Personally, I think the GR-1 was the ticket. *sigh*

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
imagine a 4 seat sports coupe smaller than the current mustang with the same interior space, on a variation of the amv8 chasis, at 3300lbs, tuned irs race suspension on 4 adjustable coilovers, an alluminum block blown 5.4, same clutch and tranny as the gt500, with the interior luxery of a jag?????????????????????:idea:

ford would sell a ton of these cars in the $80-90K price range. :idea: :beer:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
imagine a 4 seat sports coupe smaller than the current mustang with the same interior space, on a variation of the amv8 chasis, at 3300lbs, tuned irs race suspension on 4 adjustable coilovers, an alluminum block blown 5.4, same clutch and tranny as the gt500, with the interior luxery of a jag?????????????????????:idea:

That's exactly my point.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
That's exactly my point.

there are a few of us on the same page.:D

the others need to realized that a project will not work if you build it off of the mustangs current platform. it will be very much the same as the 03 mustang svt on the old fairmont platform. a nice car but far from great. and for 80g's people will want a great car!

SlowSVT

Established Member
ON D BIT said:

Ford already made that car. It's called a GT40 sans the rear seat and front mounted engine.

Unfortunately Ford couldn't achive your weight goal even in a 2 seat composite sports car and it cost twice as much pre-gouging. Maybe next year.

TAHOE GT

Established Member
Can anyone say "Cougar?"

The 5.4 in presant form is too heavy. The 5.0L cammer would be the engine of choice here. I think what a lot of this leads to is a car like a 3 series BMW, with V-8 power. Plus, you can have it 2- or 4-door making the car a better invesstment for the company since it's not a niche market.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
SlowSVT said:
Ford already made that car. It's called a GT40 sans the rear seat and front mounted engine.

Unfortunately Ford couldn't achive your weight goal even in a 2 seat composite sports car and it cost twice as much pre-gouging. Maybe next year.

Apparently you missed the $80K price we're talking about.

SlowSVT

Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
Apparently you missed the $80K price we're talking about.

I didn't miss anything.

The point I was making:

If Ford could not achieve what ON_D_BIT is proposing with a 2 seat composite sports car what makes you think they would be able to build a 4 seat car that was lighter at half the cost? He then implies this car is actually feasible.

The bottom line is: We can fantasize all kinds of things but when you factor reality into the equation all your left with is a dream. Ford or anyone else for that matter could never build that car as described and if they could it would cost 4 times what a Lamborghini does. The GT500 is a car that the average Joe can actually buy today and have fun driving.

Don't you agree?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
When put that way, yes, it makes sense. I don't agree completely though. I think Ford has the ability to build such a car. It would be less hands on, and based off an already available chassis (Jaguar, or something). If integrated into regular production lines, I think it's possible.

But I do see your point.

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
Take a bit of the Jaguar(burled wood and wool carpets, ++) out of the XKR and you have the car in question. And it is well attended by market interest right now. As well as taking some pretty heavy awards form among others, German car mags. And they don't HAVE to look afield for good choices.

If however, you are baseing the interest you describe on some sort of intended market built around the Shelby hype, you are sadley mistaken. Any body want to bet a PENSKE tuned version of a new Camaro Z/28 SS wouldn't sell like the Shelby? Those GM buyers already are primed to move up in price and content. And Penske at least is a good business man. Good enough to not limit the possibilities both up and down market.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
The hypothetical car in question I'd hope would have nothing to do with Shelby. Don't get me wrong, I think the Shelby is neat and everything, but it's time to move forward from that.

It would be nice to see a true mass produced Ford sports car.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
SlowSVT said:
I didn't miss anything.

The point I was making:

If Ford could not achieve what ON_D_BIT is proposing with a 2 seat composite sports car what makes you think they would be able to build a 4 seat car that was lighter at half the cost? He then implies this car is actually feasible.

Don't you agree?

actually i dont. just based on what ford's goal was with the ford gt. ford target was the ferrari 360, an exotic sports car. they never intended it to be a grand turismo type car.

a better example is what aston martin did in creating the amv8. take out the exotic materials, and guizmos and 2 small back seats and add a blower to the that car with a ford label and they would have a hit at 80-90 grand.

how would it not be feasible? the mustang gt weights in a just over 3450. now create a smaller car with lighter stronger more expensive material. very much like gm did with the c5 and c6 z06 chasis.

SlowSVT

Established Member
ON_D_BIT

Nobody ever said anything about the GT40 being a Grand Turismo car. I used it as an example because it basically has every thing your asking for minus 2 seats yet it still weighs 3500 lbs even with a carbon fiber chassis. Beef up the chassis to carry the load of 4 people plus the interior accommodations and your looking at adding another 200 lbs to the car. The Aston Martin engine and drivetrain will not handle the type of power potential of the GT500 plus that car chassis is made from aluminum and magnesium. The Corvette is a better example but add that heavy blown DOHC 5.4 with a back seat and it turns into an expensive porky car again.

Regardless if you agree with me or not, reality will dictate what the finished product is and how much it will cost.

BTW: Next time your in LA let me know. I'm sure you would like to see what I've been working on :beer:

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Iman01 said:
And they have more people on their list than they have cars alloted for the next 2 years.

Currently the demand for these is far greater than the supply and the prices And there are a lot of customers that are willing to pay as much as $80,000 for one.

Dont believe the dealer hype. Its all BS.
Wait until Spring time, they will be everywhere for MSRP or below.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
SlowSVT said:
The Aston Martin engine and drivetrain will not handle the type of power potential of the GT500 plus that car chassis is made from aluminum and magnesium. The Corvette is a better example but add that heavy blown DOHC 5.4 with a back seat and it turns into an expensive porky car again.

Regardless if you agree with me or not, reality will dictate what the finished product is and how much it will cost.

BTW: Next time your in LA let me know. I'm sure you would like to see what I've been working on :beer:

it can be done. the gt is a big car. hell the 360 is a big car. they both weight over 3300lbs i believe. my statements are based on what gm has been able to do with the corvette. and as you might of noticed the corvette is not as small as it used to be. and what porsche has done with the 911. really one does not need a car bigger than the 993's. fords goal for the gt500 kr is even 3300lbs and 550hp. yea if they hit that goal which i give them bout 30% chance it will be a stripped street legal race car. but what happens when you start with a lightweight smaller chasis?

what did daisy weight? what would a similar car with a hard top wieght? what would a revamped amv8 with a retuned xkr engine weight? these two examples of cars ford has already built will weight in at 3300lbs +/- i believe.

Users who are viewing this thread