My GT350R Initial Impressions

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Here's the reality! It isn't all that unusual for a person to criticize a particular car model and then months later (maybe after driving one or seeing one up close) entirely change their mind and buy one. ...

The thing is, though, not one time did I ever say I didn't like the GT350. But apparently his skull is too thick for him to realize that and let it sink in. I even specifically stated in the past that the GT350 fixed all the ills of the S550 design. I loved the GT350 from the first time it was publicly announced. I even posted on my Facebook feed the same day it was announced that I WILL be getting one. Then they announced the R, and that was the only one that would do for me.

And to be honest, I STILL don't see how he thinks I'm complaining about the car. Observations or critiques are NOT the same as complaints.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
It's not an abnormal thing to critique something only to come around to it later. I've done it with women as well.

The progression..

Look at the fatty (1st bottle)
I suppose her face is kinda cute (4th bottle)
She has huge juggs (5th bottle)
Ass is getting blurry and somehow looks to have thinned some(6th bottle)
<Closing time>
Pony ride ensues

:)

Note - the above is from pure observation and not from experience!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The progression..

Look at the fatty (1st bottle)
I suppose her face is kinda cute (4th bottle)
She has huge juggs (5th bottle)
Ass is getting blurry and somehow looks to have thinned some(6th bottle)
<Closing time>
Pony ride ensues

:)

Note - the above is from pure observation and not from experience!

EXACTLY.

Even more accurately.

Geez I love this girl.
This girl is an absolute lunatic.
This girl makes me happy.
I'm going to marry this girl.

Happens every day.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Speaking of fit-and-finish, I noticed a tiny bubble under one of the stripes. I wonder why Ford changed stripe vendor? Nobody ever had any problems w/ the '07-'14 GT500 stripes, but I've witnessed and read a lot of issues with the '15+ GT350 stripes. I've washed, rubbed and buffed the stripes on my GT500 countless times, and other than some road rash, they're as good as new. I've seen gloss black stripes on a GT350 still on the showroom floor that were swirled all to hell and back.

I'm scared to even touch the stripes on my R. Removing them is not an option for me. I like the stripes because they help the car standout more. Not to mention the matte black/gloss red looks surprisingly good on the Lightning Blue.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Small bubbles usually go away with heat. Park it out in the sun on a warm day and it should go away.

01slowbra46

2014 GT Premium.
Established Member
I ma not be comparing apples to apples, but I can assure you that the GT350 will be much quicker around a road course or autox course. I have many similar suspension mods on my 2014 GT (k member, Control arms etc etc) and it still doesn't compete with a nearly stock 2015+ GT in an autocross event. The S550 suspension responds so much quicker to steering inputs its unreal. The S550 doesn't get nearly as upset by small corrections or accelerating out of a corner.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
EXACTLY.
Even more accurately.
Geez I love this girl.
This girl is an absolute lunatic.
This girl makes me happy.
I'm going to marry this girl.
Happens every day.

HA HAAAAAAAA
Too true bro!

CO Mack

Established Member
We all experience cars differently. I never understood why someone would buy a sports car until I bought a Honda S2000. No car I've ever owned or driven feels as balanced and alive as that one did. The GT350 gets closer than anything I've had a chance to drive hard, but with a lot more horsepower, mechanical grip and brakes, and a much more practical interior.

Much of what I love about my GT350 is not easily quantified, other than just to me, it feels and sounds like a fully integrated package that came out of a professional race shop....with a warranty. Not something that had a bunch of power/tire/brake thrown at it and feels out of proportion and is forever needing to be tweaked.

oldbmwfan

Established Member
Not something that had a bunch of power/tire/brake thrown at it and feels out of proportion and is forever needing to be tweaked.

This is what sold me. As a long-time BMW fanatic, I have a pretty high bar for a do-it-all package that is comfortable enough, capable enough, and usable enough. When I drove the GT350, it hit the mark in every way. Great feedback, high level of immediacy in the controls, great ride/ handling balance. I continue to think this is the best BMW M car on the road today, brought to you by Ford.

As much fun as I had driving the GT500, which is an absolute giggle machine, it never felt fully integrated to me as a package. On the road course, the brakes get weak before the tires are fully up to temp. The rear feels disconnected from the front--which makes it very fun, again, but it's a limitation for really trusting the car and its responses.

Of course, when I had a chance to get the R I threw usability out the window, but I have no regrets. I have an E36 race car that weighs ~2600 lbs and, while not powerful, is completely telepathic to drive. The R feels just as responsive despite carrying an extra 1,000 lbs, and it will be significantly faster around any track.

I agree that the GT350 engine is somewhat underwhelming on the street in normal passing situations, but I knew what the power curve looked like before I got into it, and I wasn't out to buy a drag car anyway. Just like my old '80s M cars that came alive and were surprisingly strong on track, I expect the Voodoo will be much more impressive when I can let it stretch and run consistently above 5500 RPM.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
We all experience cars differently. I never understood why someone would buy a sports car until I bought a Honda S2000. No car I've ever owned or driven feels as balanced and alive as that one did. The GT350 gets closer than anything I've had a chance to drive hard, but with a lot more horsepower, mechanical grip and brakes, and a much more practical interior.

Much of what I love about my GT350 is not easily quantified, other than just to me, it feels and sounds like a fully integrated package that came out of a professional race shop....with a warranty. Not something that had a bunch of power/tire/brake thrown at it and feels out of proportion and is forever needing to be tweaked.

Couldnt have said it any better

CO Mack

Established Member
I continue to think this is the best BMW M car on the road today, brought to you by Ford.

BMW has been having a hard time with the latest levels of complexity in their cars, IMO. They've gone to isolating the driver, too many "1's and 0's"..

I agree that the GT350 engine is somewhat underwhelming on the street in normal passing situations, but I knew what the power curve looked like before I got into it, and I wasn't out to buy a drag car anyway. Just like my old '80s M cars that came alive and were surprisingly strong on track, I expect the Voodoo will be much more impressive when I can let it stretch and run consistently above 5500 RPM.

It's a stupidly stupidly fast and tactile GT car for the price once you start running it in the mountains.

It's fast for a car, but I've been in to motorcycles my whole life, all cars feel slow. If it had 1000HP it still wouldn't have the power to weight of my liter bikes past and present.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Again, he's comparing a stock GT350R, to his modified GT500.

On the street a GT500 is more fun to drive than a GT350. On a track, different story...those are the reviews you're reading, track guys.

My 2016 GT350 was gone in 3 days because it wasn't fun on the street.
Did you put up a thread of your thoughts? I'd love to know what you did and didn't like about it. Now that there's another year of GT350s, I need to make a decision.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Did you put up a thread of your thoughts? I'd love to know what you did and didn't like about it. Now that there's another year of GT350s, I need to make a decision.
At the end of the day...if you're going to track it a considerable amount of the time, you'd enjoy it. If it'll spend the majority of its life on the street, you'd be happier with something else.

PM me if you'd like to talk on the phone about it.

Users who are viewing this thread