My GT350R Initial Impressions

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I don't know if I have heard the pump prime or not. I've had so many cars that do it, that if it does, I just tune it out as normal. Makes sense though. Need the pressure to be there before you try to start it.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
Unless I was going to strickly show the car or do a lot of track events Im extremely happy with my GT350 purchase. Being I work at the store I bought the car at, getting a R did enter my mind briefly but thats it.
The R is really designed for the track and wow, what a incredible car ... esp when you consider the tires are as close to track compound tires that you can get with out being true race tires.
Curbing a Carbon fiber wheel or having someone take a hammer to your rear carbon fiber wing and forking up $13000 doesnt make for a great day !
Either car you get you cant loose but for a everyday driver and the additional expense a R would bring, I believe that getting a GT350 for me was the right call

Rael

Established Member
It all depends on what you want to do with the car; and we have a choice between "R" versions or not.
I'm dying to get my non-R on a track because it's terribly frustrating not being able to use its capabilities on the street. But it's my daily driver--99% of the time on the street, so an "R" was out of the question, and the comfort package was mandatory.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I got the tech pack because this car is going to be used on the street a lot. I do plan on doing some laps, but nothing competitive and possibly only 4 to 6 times a year. Rentals, open practice, seat time events, etc.

Reality is, if you bought a GT instead of a GT350, you're still not going to be able to fully utilize its capabilities. All of these types of cars need track time to fully enjoy/appreciate what they are.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Complaining of the hype machine from someone purchased into said hype...regardless I have never heard of pro drivers applauding any gt500 like they applaud the 350/R. It's not just a latest and greatest and has received more recognition from the racing community than publishing.

Hell even the Porsche factory drivers are giving the R props! All hype I tell you.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Complaining of the hype machine from someone purchased into said hype...regardless I have never heard of pro drivers applauding any gt500 like they applaud the 350/R. It's not just a latest and greatest and has received more recognition from the racing community than publishing.

Hell even the Porsche factory drivers are giving the R props! All hype I tell you.
Again, he's comparing a stock GT350R, to his modified GT500.

On the street a GT500 is more fun to drive than a GT350. On a track, different story...those are the reviews you're reading, track guys.

My 2016 GT350 was gone in 3 days because it wasn't fun on the street.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
He's never going to get it. I never actually believed all the hype. ON D BIT was one of the main ones riding me because I "criticized" (as he sees it) the car when it first came out and wanted to see actual proof that the GT350R is as quick around a road course as the GT3.

I bought the R because it is the Mustang that I've wanted Ford to build for 15 years. I always knew they could, and they finally did. My only real gripe is that Mustangs are too damned big and heavy. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I'd gladly suffer through another Mustang II generation for the sake of getting the size and weight back under control.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
stick_figure_cranking_screwdriver_md_wm.gif

jtfx6552

Established Member
By reading this forum, you'd think On D Bit designed the friggin thing, lol. I just don't get it, does he even own one?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's interesting for someone to complain and whine about how bad the GT350 looks and performs and then still buy one.
Here's the reality! It isn't all that unusual for a person to criticize a particular car model and then months later (maybe after driving one or seeing one up close) entirely change their mind and buy one. No different from someone who raves about a particular model (like I did with the 2016 Camaro SS) with the intent to buy one, and then months later suddenly decide that that car has negatives that are enough to steer them in a different direction (hence my going with a '16 Ford Edge Sport). So I wouldn't get so hung up on what GT Premi said in the past. He's entitled to change his mind. So instead of being critical, maybe just congratulate him on his GT-350R purchase. As long as GT Premi loves his new ride, that's all that really matters. Peace! ;)

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's interesting for someone to complain and whine about how bad the GT350 looks and performs and then still buy one.
I critiqued the 2005 body...bought a 2008 GT500.

Critiqued the 2013 for being to European...bought a 2013 GT500, and then a 2014 GT500.

Critiqued the 2015+ due to the rear end appearance, bought a 2016 GT350.

It's not an abnormal thing to critique something only to come around to it later. I've done it with women as well.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member

The car may not have the fit and finish of a porsche but the hype on how this car handles on a road course from prof drivers is off the chart ....

Sure I prefer perfect seams and alignment on my bumper, fenders and hood ..... but i still love the car and its the best Mustang I have ever owned by far

don

Zemedici

Established Member

Not really.

Loved my 04, swore I'd never sell it when I finally bought one (had wanted one since 2003)

Kept it 16 months and sold it for a custom ordered 2015 Mustang GT PP (every option), said I'd keep it 3-4 years.

Sold it in 7 months.

Went back to an 03 cobra.

Happens more often than you would think

Users who are viewing this thread