My Race Red Track Pack 2016 GT350

krt22

Established Member
I used generic formulas based on free length, wire diameter, coil diameter, and number of coils. I stopped short of using a proof load and dial gauge to measure total compression, but did some rough load testing to see if the force required to fully compress the springs correlated with these approximate rates. For the larger spring it was in the ~210lb range, I weight 225lbs and stood on the spring and it just barely was bottoming out as I put all my weight on it. For the smaller spring I was able to compress it fully by hand and measure the solid height, which matched pretty well with off the shelf springs in that size/rate

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Good improvisation.:)

Kyle, did you notice that even with the lighter spring in place that the pedal sagged a small amount when at rest? While I don't believe it is enough to cause undue pressure on seals, etc (as advertised by some), I noticed it nonetheless. Yours the same?

krt22

Established Member
Good improvisation.:)

Kyle, did you notice that even with the lighter spring in place that the pedal sagged a small amount when at rest? While I don't believe it is enough to cause undue pressure on seals, etc (as advertised by some), I noticed it nonetheless. Yours the same?

There is still some play, I think its just slop in the linkage. If you wiggle the whole pedal the spring moves with it.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Looking good Tob! Where did your GT500 end up?

Fellow member that resides in Maryland. Great guy too.

There is still some play, I think its just slop in the linkage. If you wiggle the whole pedal the spring moves with it.

I noticed if I grabbed the pedal that I could deflect the arm laterally but didn't note any lateral slop right at the pivot. I was talking vertically, or within the arc that the pedal swings. You can lift the pedal up a small amount but I'd call it slop as well, between the highest point the pedal could return to and the point at which the hydraulic system starts working. A bit of hyperfocus for sure but a data point nonetheless.

Note Dodge's philosophy (especially their engineer's comments) in comparison to that of Ford's in the following writeup (upper right hand corner). Joe Johnson nails it.

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/...riveline/_Csaba on GT350 shifter.jpg~original

Let Redline know you sold a set of their hood struts. ;)

:)

Funny, Andreas contacted me elsewhere and asked me to share my thoughts on his struts. He has put together a great kit. More than worth the price of admission.

Last edited:

krt22

Established Member
I will check again, I though I noticed some vertical play as well

Interesting article on the spring, 35lbs of total assist seems about right. And yeah, looks like the FCA engineer pointed out the exact issue we are seeing.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
...Is it rated by a testing agency outside the company that makes it?...

Not that I'm aware of. However, even though I bought it on faith, my own background in mechanical design and testing led me to conclude that it's strong enough to do what I needed it for. I've used it for seven track seasons with a succession of cars that weighed in around 4000 pounds and it's performed perfectly. The helical drive mechanical lift mechanism has some interesting benefits. First is safety: if the drive fails, it stops moving and stays put. Second, you can leave it raised with the car on it for months if you want to - it's not held up by hydraulic pressure. Third, it's open at the sides, which makes things like transmission oil changes easy because you can slide in from the side and not have to go the long way. We've got a family fleet of two Focuses, a Mustang, an Explorer and a BMW. Over the years, the lift has saved me a ton of money because every six months I service the whole works in about four hours.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
We had a freak warm weather day and hit 50* on Easter Sunday so I picked off a few things I wanted to do before a big family dinner put a halt to progress. One was installing a fourth brake light kit from Diode Dynamics. It basically turns your reverse light into a brake light until you engage reverse - then it turns bright white. I think it adds a small margin of safety and I dig the effect as well. Anyway, the hardware was top notch and the install was fairly easy. This video made it even easier.

[video=youtube;PWPC1VidtDA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWPC1VidtDA[/video]

The GT350 install required pulling the rear panel that lies beneath the car, just aft of the IRS. I must say, the panel is a very well engineered, fully functional piece. The ducts direct air to the axle cooler.

0327161518_resized.jpg

0327161519_resized.jpg

0327161518a_resized.jpg

I had the opportunity to take a closer look at the pump, lines, and radiator for the differential cooler. Well organized and sized perfectly for the available space. I am so glad I got the Track Pack. Anyway, since it was back to ~30*/rain after the holiday, I made my move after dinner and told the wife I was finally going to spend some time with the car. My thoughts, straight from the gut...

- Steering response is near instantaneous and you can toss the car much quicker than the S197 (at least in GT500 form)

- For a stock exhaust system, the louder of the two modes is louder than any stock system I've ever had on a car and I love it

- Tilt/telescoping column is what I've been waiting for forever as it allows perfect wheel placement

- As reported everywhere, the sound system is absolutely horrible (I give it a 1.5 out of 10)

- Engine feels like it has a laggy turbo that doesn't kick in for 3 seconds or so

- Mag suspension is a must have and works wonders on horrible roads

- Did I mention how lousy the audio system is?

- Shifter is a perfect match for the way over assisted clutch pedal (women will never complain about it being too stiff or overly mechanical)

Anyway, I brought the DSLR with me and took a few shots. Lots of noise as I didn't use a tripod and my settings weren't optimum but I think you get the idea. The only thing I did to these was some quick cropping and I knocked the resolution down a bit.

IMG_1231.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

Last edited:

marc@kentucky

Established Member
Excellent thread, love the attention to technical details. Just to clarify- is the clutch return spring you used the OEM one from the regular GT or was it sourced elsewhere? Keep up the thread, much appreciated!

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Chris, I see Tob has New York plates, I think once I get my car we need to take a road trip and see his mods in person.

Well hurry up and buy one so we can go :)

Yes.

We can discuss the matter further at the nearby Canadian ballet.

I'm in!

Chris!....Where is your first impressions thread?

I've been slacking

I'm at 1400 miles, so I probably should write something up. I've just been wicked busy with work, covering two different areas now, working on my house, not to mention some personal stuff going on. Been a little crazy. I'll put something together this week.

chuckstang

Established Member
Well hurry up and buy one so we can go :)

I'm in!

I've been slacking

I'm at 1400 miles, so I probably should write something up. I've just been wicked busy with work, covering two different areas now, working on my house, not to mention some personal stuff going on. Been a little crazy. I'll put something together this week.

Chris- Can't wait to see this bad boy, congrats on the new ride!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Just to clarify- is the clutch return spring you used the OEM one from the regular GT or was it sourced elsewhere?

I used one from the aftermarket and not a GT spring. You can find them all over the place online. Here's a few examples of springs that may work...

http://www.bigronline.com/tool-acce...3-8-inch-by-2-1-2-inch-by-135-inch-142025.htm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XEW4WM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CENTURY-SPR...975880?hash=item485ffbb1c8:g:z6MAAOxydlFS2qsE

http://www.centuryspring.com/Store/item_detail.php?StockNumber=S-290

Steeda carries them as well.

less chat more pics/updates

I agree. I left a message with Sofia Vergara and as soon as she gets back to me I'll set up a photoshoot. Should be epic.

IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread