My SHELBY got TOTALED

R1Lello

Established Member
FEARSNO1 said:
actually motor is 14,330 from ford and tranny is 4100 so 18,500. either way close enough, the insurance said they want to bring it to another body shop to try and get them to give a higher est. to total it, it seems that they are trying to work with me to get it totaled but it has to be legit and cut through some red tape.

I'd be surprised if any body shop doesn't want the business..." yes, I can fix it " cha-ching $$$$ Get it written off, you do not want that car!!!!

Angel

aLL JaCkeD uP
Established Member
GT500Convert said:
fearsno1, Do not let them bring car to another body shop. Do not think they want a higher one but a lower one. Its too bad the lady did not have higher amts because they would owe you diminished value.

Ask your attorney that if car is fixed if its possible to go after the lady for diminished value. Once a car is hit so bad it becomes a structural total loss the $$ to fix is irrelevant. Remind them that if "they" chose to fix car and more dmg is found to make it a total loss you are not taking it. Your attny needs to get on this asap!

Ask your insurance what they are coming up with for the salvage value. They are most likely way under valuing it. The normal amt is 20% of cash value. SOme insurance companies use it on all vehicles and others will get bids once its over approx 17k. Make them show you the salvage bids they are getting on car. you have my email if you need more info about this.

+1

The car, even repaired to the best of means, will never be the same much less retain it's value had she not been damaged to this extent.

You have the right to take your car to any Body Shop of your choice for an estimate and THEN hand the estimate to your Ins Co. The body shop of your choice should have ASME Cetification as well as be a ICAR Repair Facility.

IMO, push hard for a replacement car. You deserve a new car and one valued as such. Don't let any Lawyer or Ins. Co. tell you otherwise;- especially if you have had the coverage on your plan that allows this.

Let the Ins. Co. of yours fight it out with the Offender's Ins. Co. to pay for your New Shelby.

jcthorne

Established Member
The problem here is that the guilty party only has $10,000 in property damage coverage. That is all her insurance will pay. Any more will have to come by civil suit against her directly. This is a long and drawn out process. His own insurance company is working with him to cover as underinsured or comprehensive claim against his own insurance. It aint right but thats what the law allows. Long term the guilty party will pay but may take YEARS. In the mean time he wants his Shelby.

Fearsno1, you do have the right to use any body shop you choose. Ask you car clubs in the area who the real artists with body work are in the area. Who really knows these cars. Then get your own estimate. Also get a salvage value bid, you may have to push to get it totaled. Do not accept any settlement you are not fully happy with. There is usually no going back once you head down a path.

NewFrance6

Established Member
I just saw this. This is painful to see. I really hope you can get a brand new one and that it all works out quickly.

chuckstang

Established Member
There is no way that car could ever be "safe" to drive again, whether it is totaled or not. Just because the damage can be fixed, does not make it safe to drive, it will never be the same again. Do not accept them to fix the car!
Im shocked that this has not been resolved in your favor yet, it really pisses me off. It sucks that people can get away with murder in this great country. wtf is the point in having insurance or laws against drunk driving if the innocent still get screwed over?

mrGT

Established Member
If you get it totaled, you need to publish your VIN so that those of us who will be looking for a used one won't end up with it. THANKS

2-slow

Say what?
Established Member
chuckstang said:
There is no way that car could ever be "safe" to drive again, whether it is totaled or not. Just because the damage can be fixed, does not make it safe to drive, it will never be the same again. Do not accept them to fix the car!
I have to disagree on one point, I worked in a body shop for along time and I can tell you 3/4 of the cars going out were 10 times stronger than when they came in. Factory spot welds everywhere, I know they are structurally sound but a good body shop can do much better. I guess what I am trying to say is there is nothing wrong with a "fixed" car when it's done right.

jcthorne

Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:
good point. someone should create and pin a "vins to watch out for" thread.

That is precisly what the Shelby Registry at SAAC does. The car's history needs to be included with its vin at that location for future use.

chris6793

Established Member
You wanna update whats going on with ya!? Horrible news about this sounds just like my luck actually. The parts off of you car will be worth something, people will go crazy buying the car just to rebuild a shelby of their own, like myself!!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
chuckstang said:
Im shocked that this has not been resolved in your favor yet, it really pisses me off. It sucks that people can get away with murder in this great country. wtf is the point in having insurance or laws against drunk driving if the innocent still get screwed over?

Chuck, Chuck, Chuck:

Totaled cars get fixed ALL of the time. Some body shops do such a great job you can't tell work has been done to them. Sometimes the car is better and stiffer than a factory built car.

Some shops admittedly do crappy jobs and just slap the shit together and keep their fingers crossed the car is decent when they're done.

I OT with a guy that has a very nice (and also fast) Terminator that was totaled at one point. He manages a body shop and I'm sure this one received 'special' treatment.

That would be like saying a blown motor will never be the same as the original. :rollseyes Usually, they get rebuilt better, stronger and use better components on the rebuild. :read:

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
we can rebuild, we have the technology. :idea: the first real $100k 07 gt500....:D

th-1657_0020.jpg

NASA One (flight control): “It looks good at NASA One.”

B-52 Pilot: “Roger. BCS arm switch is on.”

NASA One: “Okay, Victor.”

B-52 Pilot: “Landing rocket arm switch is on.”

B-52 Pilot: “Here comes the throttle. Circuit breakers in.”

Steve Austin (voice of Lee Majors): “We have separation.”

Chase plane: “Roger.”

B-52 Pilot: “Inboard and outboards are on.”

B-52 Pilot: “I’m comin’ forward with the sidestick.”

NASA One: “All looks good.”

B-52 Pilot: “Ah, roger.”

Steve Austin: “I’ve got a blowout—damper three!”

Chase plane: “Get your pitch to zero.”

Steve Austin: “Pitch is out! I can’t hold altitude!”

B-52 Pilot: “Correction, alpha hold is off, trim selectors—Emergency!”

Steve Austin: “Flight Com! I can’t hold it! She’s breaking up, she’s break—”

Last edited:

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
as of right now i have my attorney is working on it, the insurance is trying to get 75% of the market value to total the car out they have set market value at around 60-65k and want 45k+ to total it, yes they want a 45k repair estimate on a vehicle that sticker for 43k, makes no sense right? so at this point still waiting on final word but is not looking good, i am not going to fix the car for sure i may just sell the car as is to a member on here and take the money that the insur. is going to pay to fix it and try to buy a new one. if you haven't already pm'd me about buying the car please do so if anyone is interested, and i will keep you in mind. i will be making that decision pretty soon.

SVECobraR

Established Member
Do you have geico insurance, because i know must insurance companies want a value of 60-65% to total it and geico or even mercury want 75%.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
FEARSNO1 said:
as of right now i have my attorney is working on it, the insurance is trying to get 75% of the market value to total the car out they have set market value at around 60-65k and want 45k+ to total it, yes they want a 45k repair estimate on a vehicle that sticker for 43k.

Have your attorney work harder, cause that is NOT the way it works, the insurance is trying to screw you big time. They have to go off sticker, not what you paid..

I had a 90 GT that got totalled. Sticker was $16,400, and I paid $14,500. Well the estimate was 75 percent of STICKER, in this case $12,300 worth of damage..

SVECobraR

Established Member
california doesn't have a general state law on value, the insurance companies make their own figure and the customer goes by that. Thats pretty weird that you guys have that law.

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
well they say that if they go by sticker they only want to pay me sticker to replace which we all know is not possible right now. so what do you do?

Users who are viewing this thread