New Server Fund

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Originally posted by Euphoric One
Yeah, but now I'm pissed. I wish I could have taken over the site because you will be raking in the big bucks in no time. ;-)

You're right, I rake it in, organize it, and send it right back out. The site is self sustaining (I know that's spelled wrong) right now, and that's about it.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Don't you guys sleep? I think a new server and software upgrades are excellent steps in the right direction. I'm looking forward to being able to post during peak hours without a minute or two wait. If you get the pics back, too, I will be firmly in your corner, Sid. Good luck with the upgrades. Sounds like the $1200 goal should be hit tomorrow. :beer:

KOOY

Established Member
Originally posted by SID297
Travis Hill
2001 6th Ave Apt 1322
Huntington, WV 25703

Is this the address where I can send you a conventional letter enclosed with a few dollars?

NJCOBRA10thA

Really thats my last mod.
Established Member
I think this hosting pics is not a big deal. I have at least 200mb I dedicate to let SVTP users post videos and pics.

If it complicates the board, slows it down, it's not worth investigating. In fact my home server is up all the time I will host any pictures for this board anyone wants hosted and I will write a quick little ASP page to make instant uploading a snap.

With regards to videos, I don't know how many users there are but lets guestimate low at 1,000 if everone had a single 20mb video to host that's 20gigs of videos, the monthly data transfer rates would be huge and simply not practical. Everyone should look into their own solution.

Many ISP's offer free webspace and I also volunteer my time to help anyone figure out how to upload their pictures and then post here.

It's just not feasible to allow picture and video posting.

I will continue to host videos as long as I have space on my hosted site and like I said I am offering 50 gigs of webspace to host pictures.

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
people can host their own vids and pics. I sent $30 for basically a faster site and to get the SEARCH button working again

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by 00SVTdubs
people can host their own vids and pics. I sent $30 for basically a faster site and to get the SEARCH button working again

I think you might be surprised how many people want and miss the attachment feature on this site?

In the Cobra "R" section we find it invaluable!! Also there are a lot of us that are pretty computer geekless and don't have fancy web site access with lots of space? We're just a bunch of gear heads and track dawgs that want to share information.

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by NJCOBRA10thA
Thats why I will host pics for anyone who needs it.

Well, the only problem with that is if you leave the site or stop hosting the pics we lose a year or two of documented history like the last time the server crashed here. Now, that's not saying the server will never crash here but we have already lost tons of important photos once and would just like the protection any way we can get it? I also don't want to bug you every time I need a pic hosted? It's more work for the both of us.

But that is a very generous offer and I appreciate it!!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

NJCOBRA10thA

Established Member
I hear you and in a perfect world it would be nice, but it's impractical to have the site host pictures and especially videos.

If everyone was aloud to post just a single 20MB video then it would consume 10's of gigs and tons of monthly transfers.

With respect to bugging me, if people want me to host I can set something up that will make it extermely easy for you to upload the files and it will automatically tell you the full web location of the file, I would not need to do anything.

No that's not perfect but right now I just want some robustness out of the site and a working search and that's proven to be an ardous enough task.

Maybe hosting pics will be possible but I don't see hosting videos as ever being practical.

flyn high again

Established Member
Pics and vids worked fine when I joined the site. Then the site outgrew the server and the slowdowns began. That's when Steve pulled the attachments and later the search functions. It's all a question of storage and bandwidth and how to pay for it. If we can afford Cobras and lightnings, I think we can figure out a way to afford the necessary bandwidth. Premium memberships or thoughts along that line seem to be a good idea to me. As long as the price is reasonable and fair, I wouldn't mind paying for the ability to attach pics and vids. C'mon, this is one of the larger, better car sites on the web. We should be 1st class, not 2nd class in the way we do things. I miss the how to procedures and pics that used to be posted regularly. Now with having to hunt up a host, how to pics are harder to post and without the search, they are impossible to locate anyway. It's good of Dan to offer to host, but I think the site's pics and vids should be stored on the site. The way it is now, pics and vids can disappear because little Tommy didn't pay his monthly bill and his site which had a few important pics that were linked to here is gone.

IMHO, we should think BIG [provided, of course, the costs are not outrageous]. Hell, we have plenty of computer experts and guys with computer and hosting company connections as members, as well as many professionals with various types of knowledge and expertise. If we can't make it work, who can?

NJCOBRA10thA

Established Member
I can not think of 1 site that will allow it's 1,000's of members to post 20mb videos, it can't be done at a reasonable price and believe me I know. Look at these stats from MY SITE:
---
Top URLs Requested
This report shows the most-requested pages for the days analyzed.
Summary: This report shows the top 10 URLs requested.
132 distinct URLs were found.
Quantity % of Total Item
2825 24.79% /cobra/videos/0-160+KBcobra.wmv
2391 20.98% /cobra/videos/mac/3rdCruiseMeetLR.wmv
1557 13.66% /cobra/videos/mac/arsigseries.wmv
1244 10.91% /cobra/videos/mac/wutwinerun.wmv
829 7.27% /cobra/videos/mac/capitol100804.wmv
298 2.61% /cobra/videos/mac/capitol102204.wmv

That KB Cobra 0-160 run was requested 2,800 times alone this month. That's 1 video. The 3rd Cruise video is 38MB x 2391 hits this month alone = 90 Gigabytes transfered for that 1 video. Granted that file is bigger than it need be but it would require massive speed, massive storage and massive monthly transfer limits to accomodate video hosting.

I don't think it can be done for anywhere near a reasonable price.

Hey I donated my share and will always be happy to support the site, I will pay whatever is asked for a premium monthly subscription but 90 Gigs of transfers for 1 video is a shitload. The KB 0-160 is now cross posted on many boards even ricer boards believe it or not and has gotten as many as 10,000 hits in a single month.

Even if each user was given just 1 gig, if it got that many hits it would be like 30MB of monthly tansfers per user x 1,000 users (way low estimate = 30 gigs of transfers per month per gigabyte allowed each user.

I know it's not up to me, but I am looking at it as a Phase II solution and question the probability of it becoming a reality.

What I can do is research if my or other hosting companies can offer just webspace to host videos and images and provide an easy web based upload. Maybe we can get a group deal, maybe it would be $5 a month per person. Maybe that would be worth it and then people who need 100MB of storage could pay a little more than those who need just 5MB of storage.

I am sure I can find a good hosting solution with easy as pie uploads for a reasonable monthly fee. Something robust like my host with redundant OC3's or better, but we should seperate that from the board slow/lack of search issues.

flyn high again

Established Member
Very informative post! Your suggestions make a lot of sense. Maybe pics could be allowed up to a certain size and vids could be sent to a site such as you propose? The discussion on these topics has been very enlightening and refreshing. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread