Official UOA thread with oil poll

What oil are you currently using in your Shelby 5.4L?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Beast!

I emailed you another UOA from my 2012 GT500, another row for the smurf blue!:beer: Amsoil 10W-40 with 7700 miles on the oil and 52500 miles on the car. All of this is in the email, but I wanted to share with the others here also. I picked up the oil at the warehouse in Dallas and had a chat with the salesman. He asked what I was using the AMO 10w-40 in and I showed him the car in the parking lot. After talking about driving it every day:)he warned me about zinc potentially building up on the valves (seats, guides, etc) the lifters, cam, etc. Not sure that I had heard this before and not sure what he was referring to in terms of using the oil for 20000miles before draining or using it for 100000miles with using another oil. Can you shed some light.

Thanks again!

So far, no evidence supporting his claims have been brought to my attention. We know people take these engines apart freqently for upgrades, so surely someone would have said something if it was a problem.

Latest intel shows great results using XL 10W-40. It has low NOACK, API SN levels of ZDDP, and better than average TBN. We may be able to abandon AMO's high ZDDP formulation, as it's not required for car in most scenarios.

Sorry for my slow replies fellas, IT work has been demanding and I recently moved into a larger home. Currently, the cable man hasn't visited me for internet service. The entire house is wired, just need service established at the drop. Tomorrow evening, I should be back up again, ready for rapid replies.

oilreport2_zps51abacf4.jpg

Looks like I wasted 8.5qts fresh Amsoil 10w40 ;-)
As above post, this oil replaced the original factory fill at about 2000 miles in October, had 6 dyno pulls, 3 passes at strip and then sat all winter after 600miles.
Looks pretty good, what say you beast?
-J

Yes, it was wasted when you drained it. It's capable of 1 year oil changes or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first. TBN @ 10.0 haha, barely used. Make sure you email me that report so I have a digital copy, and to add to the master list.

Thank you all. We could have never created this without each other.

Troy

wjlane

Seduced by the Dark Side
Established Member
I have a half-quart of Amsoil 10-40 that's been sitting on the shelf for about a year now. It is still good to use or does it have a shelf life?

Imatk

Established Member
So you're saying that I don't need to do a change until 15k miles? I was thinking it was every 7k miles... I'm using Amsoil 10w40 as well as the Amsoil filter.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Sent you a copy of my recently completed Mobil 1 5W-50 analysis (including TBN), UB. I look forward to your thoughts on it...

nxhappy

Established Member
1 year or 15,000 miles....whichever occur first.

I am curious....how does oil "degrade" or become useless after "sitting" for a year in the oil pan.

Let's say I drive 2000 miles in a year (synthetic). Starting Jan 2013 to jan 2014. You are saying the oil must be changed after that one year?

Has there been a scientific study on oil degrading from "sitting" in the oil pan?

In my eyes if the oil isn't been moving through the engine then it has retained its shear properties and chemical properties. Unless somehow the metal in the oil pan is affecting the oil properties.

Last edited:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I believe the term is oxidation. Moisture can still be an issue just sitting.
-J
+1. In addition to moisture, oil also picks-up contaminants as it moves through/around the engine. Those contaminants affect the oil and engine while stored. This is why 258 of the Owner's Manual "The engine oil and filter should be changed prior to storage, as used engine oil contains contaminates that may cause engine damage." Similar advice is also found on numerous, though less authoritative, "How To" sites.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Norton, to make sure I did get it, please submit that to me one more time.

Oxidation of the base oil. "Rusting", lubricants do that, and it increases their viscosity. With low mileage on Signature Series, I've used it up to 18 months in the sump. I ignored the 12 month interval.

Someone test Quaker State 5W-50. Let the shearing begin. :)

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Everyone, I have not updated the spreadsheet on page 1 lately. Will have more added this weekend. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

After reading almost all of this..... My gt500 Is sitting at 20,000 miles should I go with rd30? No road racing but drivin hard with a 170 thermo. I also have a 03 cobra 180 thermo 530 rwhp is rd30 my choice here too? The

I believe Amsoil ATM 10W-30 is sufficient for your application, assuming it's street race and drag duties only with the 170* thermostat. No road course racing.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Made this today for Facebook. Made me chuckle a bit.

1526629_10152702008821145_181213209291377968_n.jpg
Haha, nice!

I've been debating what to do now that I've switched to 10w30 Dominator. I know they suggest 6mo. drains, but my car will only see 3000-4000 miles tops/year, so my plan is to change it just before I store it for the winter and then take a sample mid-summer.
I know that's over the 6 mos. interval, any suggestion?
-J

Users who are viewing this thread