Official UOA thread with oil poll

What oil are you currently using in your Shelby 5.4L?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Im about to drain a full driving sasons worth of 5w-50 redline...very curious as to how it stands up to the rest. Mind you this is my original fill with the new motor after break in oil was drained. Should be worth while data. I pulled the dip stick the other day and the oil looked mint.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Im about to drain a full driving sasons worth of 5w-50 redline...very curious as to how it stands up to the rest. Mind you this is my original fill with the new motor after break in oil was drained. Should be worth while data. I pulled the dip stick the other day and the oil looked mint.

I bet when you poured that oil in, it had no idea the amount of fun it was going to have!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Haha, nice!

I've been debating what to do now that I've switched to 10w30 Dominator. I know they suggest 6mo. drains, but my car will only see 3000-4000 miles tops/year, so my plan is to change it just before I store it for the winter and then take a sample mid-summer.
I know that's over the 6 mos. interval, any suggestion?
-J

I'm running RD30 in my 2014 GT with the Armageddon twin turbo kit. What a beast this car is. I'm impressed. Will take a sample at the 6 month interval to see how much TBN remains. That's the key, as anything 1.0 or lower is critical and must be changed. I'd like to see something in the 3.x range after 6 months (or higher). I also only drive this car 1 day a week, so mileage will be low. Will report back after my findings with the Coyote. In the GT500, TB retention was not an issue at 6 months.

So is 7500 miles the longest anyone has documented on the Amsoil 10w40?

At 7500 with Amsoil 10W-40, TBN is still in the 5.x range on average between the samples. So much more life left in it, and all fills were wasted at 7500 miles.

Last edited:

Trubble

Established Member
Uoa

Have two Blackstone analysis reports I can provide - first is on original oil (11/2013 change) and second is on this fall's oil change when I drained the Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30.
Back to you with files soon.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Anybody have new samples results?

I still have to update the list with new samples. Career has been so demanding lately, computers are not my friend right now.

Have two Blackstone analysis reports I can provide - first is on original oil (11/2013 change) and second is on this fall's oil change when I drained the Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30.
Back to you with files soon.

Send me a PM if you need email info.

barspen

Established Member
Hot off the presses...RP 5W-40 with 1500 DD miles and 4x20 minutes track sessions
Blackstone_11_GT500-121414_pdf_zpsdc6cf78a.jpg

barspen

Established Member
Tell me more about your track session. Were you getting into the car hard, pushing the car to cooling limits, or keeping it more tame?

I was pushing it pretty hard IMO, especially on the 4th session. Started to notice the limiting factors were tires (ran street tires) and the driver (this was my 3rd track day in two years, so still perfecting several turns). Hit 100-104mph on the long straights. Tires were crying on sharp turns. Guys running in the upper classes were hitting 1:54-1:58. I was running 2:09(1st)-2:02 (4th).

Here's a link to my 4th run...http://youtu.be/OUeri3TZj3A

DaFreak

Established Member
Hey All,

Not sure where the lead is coming from any ideas? No leaded race fuel (that I remember) but I do run ethanol free 92 and sometimes mix with no lead 100. Wonder if I got the leaded 110 once before as it comes from the same pump. Wondering if I should change to a new oil too? It's been Amsoil 10-40w for years now.

8c4790e5-28d5-4c2b-9efc-b8bd5281adc3_zpsaa03ce83.png

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
DaFreak, make the change to Amsoil XLO 10W-40 and be 100% sure you didn't get leaded race gas. Report back on your next UOA.

I am sitting at my computer updating the sheet with all the latest submitted UOAs. Thanks to all who has contributed.

I was pushing it pretty hard IMO, especially on the 4th session. Started to notice the limiting factors were tires (ran street tires) and the driver (this was my 3rd track day in two years, so still perfecting several turns). Hit 100-104mph on the long straights. Tires were crying on sharp turns. Guys running in the upper classes were hitting 1:54-1:58. I was running 2:09(1st)-2:02 (4th).

Here's a link to my 4th run...http://youtu.be/OUeri3TZj3A

What about temperature of coolant, was is elevated? Are you using the factory radiator and thermostat?

Imatk

Established Member
So what does this mean... is the Amsoil 10w40 breaking down and allowing bearing wear?

Kind of concerned since I made the switch a while ago.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Sheet on the first page has been updated will all the latest submissions. The list has grown to 89 entries, so I left some of the single reports off the bottom of the screenshot. When the list grows more, I will make it a third screenshot.

If there is anyone out there wanting to do custom sorting for comparisons on this list, I can email it to you. Send me a PM and share your data points.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
So what does this mean... is the Amsoil 10w40 breaking down and allowing bearing wear?

Kind of concerned since I made the switch a while ago.

I have no concerns at all, since this is an isolated incident on his trends and he thinks it could have been leaded race fuel in the mix. The viscosity of his sample is not less than sheared Motorcraft 5W-50. Let's wait for the next sample, as I have requested above. If this were a problem with the formulation, everyone would be having the same levels of lead PPM in their UOAs.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Hello fellow Mustang owners. Amsoil finally decided enough Ford vehicles were on the streets and track to formulate a Signature Series lubricant that meets API SN and Ford WSS-M2C931-C requirements. This is a big deal for those who are worried about not having Ford's recommended SAE lubricant in their Mustang.

Amsoil Signature Series 5W-50

This is the only known lubricant to carry Ford's recommendation code other than Motorcraft 5W-50.

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is excellent for use in all types of gasoline-fueled vehicles. It is recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the listed performance specifications:

5W-50 (AMR): API SN, SM...; Ford WSS-M2C931-C (Mustang)

This also means Amsoil's Warranty will now cover your Condor, Roadrunner, or Coyote engine that is spec'd for 5W-50.

I will edit my recommendation for the Boss 302, Track Pack GT, and GT500 vehicles used on closed course tracks and for those who do not want anything else in their Mustang except 5W-50.

Preferred Customers can purchase this formulation for $8.15 per quart or $92.85 per case (12 quarts). Amsoil's EaO11 oil filter is recommended for your application.

Looks like we have another new lubricant to test in the GT500 UOA Thread. With Amsoil's desire to produce only the best formulation possible, I'd assume it's more shear resistant than Motorcraft 5W-50. However, only time and testing will tell.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread