Official UOA thread with oil poll

What oil are you currently using in your Shelby 5.4L?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
That lubricant is API SN compliant RP 5W-40 from the levels of Zinc and Phosphorous. TBN is a bit lower than expected for only 1500 miles. Wear metals ppm is ok.

The lubricant sheared to a heavy 30 grade in 1500 miles. That's the part that gets me about RP's never formulations. True synthetics don't shear like that.

Click and read here

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the 5w50 update Beast, happy new year, will get you another UOA to add soon.
-J

Corepuncher

Established Member
Hi all. I have 7 quarts of Amsoil Signature series Synthetic 10W-30 for sale, along with an EaO 11 oil filter. New. Wasn't sure where to post in the market. Anyway, please make me an offer and/or let me know where to post these items specifically, thanks.

barspen

Established Member
That lubricant is API SN compliant RP 5W-40 from the levels of Zinc and Phosphorous. TBN is a bit lower than expected for only 1500 miles. Wear metals ppm is ok.

The lubricant sheared to a heavy 30 grade in 1500 miles. That's the part that gets me about RP's never formulations. True synthetics don't shear like that.

Click and read here

Just curious...Is running a heavy 30 grade that bad for these cars? Sounds like 30 (light duty) and 40 (heavy duty) weight are recommended when sifting through this massive thread. Also sounds like 50 weight (Motorcraft) is kind of a joke. Just trying to follow the logic. Maybe my real question...is the actual 'sheering' effect that bad, assuming all other values are reasonable?

For example, if Motorcraft 5w-50 sheers to a heavy 5w-40 after 1500 miles, is that any different than running 5w-40 BrandX?

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Just curious...Is running a heavy 30 grade that bad for these cars? Sounds like 30 (light duty) and 40 (heavy duty) weight are recommended when sifting through this massive thread. Also sounds like 50 weight (Motorcraft) is kind of a joke. Just trying to follow the logic. Maybe my real question...is the actual 'sheering' effect that bad, assuming all other values

For example, if Motorcraft 5w-50 sheers to a heavy 5w-40 after 1500 miles, is that any different than running 5w-40 BrandX?

Only that oil presuure will be high until it shears down, why not run a lubricant that maintains the same viscosity the entire time.

GregsGT500

Established Member
I have a UOA available but couldn't figure out how to paste and image of it on here. If UB wants it I can Email the file to you or post instructions how to paste it on here. The UOA is Amsoil 10w-40 from a 2011 GT500. I did 2 track days (8-25 minute sessions) on this oil plus 2500 road miles. One track day was at Buttonwillow in 80-90 degree heat. The 2nd track day was at Willow Springs big track with cool temps in the 50s. Top speed 140 mph. My car has 33k miles on it. I replaced this 10-40 Amsoil with the new 5w-50 Amsoil and new Amsoil filter.

Greg

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I have a UOA available but couldn't figure out how to paste and image of it on here. If UB wants it I can Email the file to you or post instructions how to paste it on here. The UOA is Amsoil 10w-40 from a 2011 GT500. I did 2 track days (8-25 minute sessions) on this oil plus 2500 road miles. One track day was at Buttonwillow in 80-90 degree heat. The 2nd track day was at Willow Springs big track with cool temps in the 50s. Top speed 140 mph. My car has 33k miles on it. I replaced this 10-40 Amsoil with the new 5w-50 Amsoil and new Amsoil filter.

Greg

Email it to me please, and thank you.

[email protected]

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
Hi All

Great info here. Thank you.

I have a 2014 500. 821A option. No track pac cooling. I run track at Fontana. Rev close to 7,000 at times between one close set of turns. The last 3 events the weather was aound 98 degrees. The 3rd time out the on the "Roval" around 100 degrees (includes the NASCAR long straight bank) I have my center computer display screen on the gauges display. I noticed my computer gauges display oil temp at normal till later in the day on the 3rd run around 15 min in, then it showed warm.. 5200 miles on engine. Not a daily driver.

Motocraft oil. Changed right before the event. Has it broken down and should not be used at another event? Next event, the day will be 66 degrees.

Steve

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I am editing the old recommendation list to simplify things. In a nutshell, the new list will take advantage of Amsoil's new AZF 0W-40 and AMR 5W-50 formulations. It will be simple like....

Street use, no HPDE or closed course, no matter which thermostat - AZF 0W-40
HPDE use or closed course, no matter which thermostat - AMR 5W-50
Those who use it for the street, yet lose sleep over not having Ford's SAE recommended lubricant in the engine - AMR 5W-50

AZF 0W-40 is formulated ultimately for the Challenger Hellcat and Nissan GTR. However, it's versatile to replace all 10W-30 recommendations previously given by myself for simplistic reasoning. This is a no compromise formulation, only built with top tier ingredients.

TheGovernment

Established Member
So whats the recommendation for my 08 gt500 being in Canada. Temp swings can be from 60F to 100F in a day or 2. No road racing but I do drive it like I stole it lol
Cost isn't a concern, just wanting the best I can put in it.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Beast, we've got similar large temp swings here in Colorado and i know we've traded previous messages regarding oil pressure and viscosity.

What can you say about the relative viscosities of AMO 10W-40 and AZF OW-40, and their applicability to driving conditions south of the (Canadian) border?

AZF will be a lot more forgiving with multiple daily cold starts when compared to AMO or XLO 10W-40. Oil pressure will be reduced on cold starts because the lubricant didn't thicken as much when it cooled to ambient. This is a good thing for colder climates, or those who drive their GT500 year round. Sure, AZF has a higher NOACK Volatility than AMO and XLO, but it's only a 1% increase. That's still a big improvement over the 6-7% increase when using Motorcraft. It should also be a lot more shear stable than Motorcraft.

In a nutshell, I no longer recommend AMO or XLO. AZF 0W-40 is the new standard for SAE 40 multi-viscosity lubricants recommended for this engine. All of my recommendation sheets has been modified for this change.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Since you can run it all year, like I do, it should not cost that much more. Add up the oil and filter cost changing it more than once a year with what you were using. Then compare that to once a year with Amsoil.

Bravo gt 500

TVS POWERED
Established Member
I just did the amsoil atm 10w30 two weeks ago with 170* tstat. So the amsoil AZF 0W-40 will be recommended for those using 10w30 & 10w40 for normal street use?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I just did the amsoil atm 10w30 two weeks ago with 170* tstat. So the amsoil AZF 0W-40 will be recommended for those using 10w30 & 10w40 for normal street use?

It will replace all prior recommendations as a blanket. You are fine, sleep easy tonight. This is just for simplicity because of the no compromise formulation AZF is.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
AZF will be a lot more forgiving with multiple daily cold starts when compared to AMO or XLO 10W-40. Oil pressure will be reduced on cold starts because the lubricant didn't thicken as much when it cooled to ambient. This is a good thing for colder climates, or those who drive their GT500 year round. Sure, AZF has a higher NOACK Volatility than AMO and XLO, but it's only a 1% increase. That's still a big improvement over the 6-7% increase when using Motorcraft. It should also be a lot more shear stable than Motorcraft.

In a nutshell, I no longer recommend AMO or XLO. AZF 0W-40 is the new standard for SAE 40 multi-viscosity lubricants recommended for this engine. All of my recommendation sheets has been modified for this change.

Thanks, UB!

Users who are viewing this thread