Official UOA thread with oil poll

What oil are you currently using in your Shelby 5.4L?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlacknTan

Storing a car....

Change the oil soon as you store it. In the spring, take the car for a long 1 hour drive. This will condition the lubricant for the entire season of use.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Hey UnleashedBeast..

A quick question on the procedure for stored cars in the Northern US. I like the idea of doing the oil change in the fall, especially since it gets me on the road in the Springtime sooner. But I thought the oil absorbs moisture during the winter and it was important to change this prior to Springtime driving. Is this a concern?

Thanks for the advice!
-Mark

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Hey UnleashedBeast..

A quick question on the procedure for stored cars in the Northern US. I like the idea of doing the oil change in the fall, especially since it gets me on the road in the Springtime sooner. But I thought the oil absorbs moisture during the winter and it was important to change this prior to Springtime driving. Is this a concern?

Thanks for the advice!
-Mark

Soon as you take the car out of storage, take it for a long 1 hour drive. The lubricant will achieve water boiling point, removing all moisture from the lubricant. This conditions Amsoil for use all season long, maintaining a once a year oil change. Repeat the process, changing the lubricant right before storage.

BlacknTan

Sounds like a plan…for this upcoming year! Thanks!

Since I didn't change the oil before I stored her this winter, I'll have to do the oil change first this season! But I'm already looking into the Amsoil 5W-50, and considering their filters. I've always used PureOne on my old Mustang GT, but with synthetic, I'm considering the switch now.

Thanks for keeping the poll going and answering crazy questions like mine!

Boidster

Shelby N00b
Established Member
Glad I caught up before my 15K oil change. I've got a gallon of the AMO ("Premium") 10w40 left, but I'll switch to the 0w-40. Previously my UOAs had some high lead and UB recommended moving to the 10w30. It's got the AMO in it now and I'll be doing a UOA for that. We'll see if the trend holds.

One question - it's probable that the car will make it to a track day or two this year. Engine is stock. Ought I to replace the thermostat with the 170* version? Is there any downside to that replacement for a car that is 99% street driven? UB's new oil recommendations state "any thermostat" so I think the 0w40 is the right choice regardless.

Nevermind - found this thread: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?768790-Thermostat-For-GT500. I'll have to be swapping for stock since I do drive in sub-50 temps in fall/winter.

Last edited:

Boidster

Shelby N00b
Established Member
Got the latest back. Looks better. I put in AMSOIL 0w-40 and a new EaO11 this time. Next analysis will likely be at the end of the year; car doesn't get all that many miles each year as you can see. Garage queen. :)

2015-03-29.jpg

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Your engine is greatly reducing wear metals, just like my car did around 15,000 miles. Iron wear average per 1000 miles is down. Silicon is also getting down, just above the acceptable range. The next oil change will have it all down to normal.

Really want to see new results from Amsoil's new AZF 0W-40. Thank you for this report.

finally03gt

Established Member
Oil monitor question. I have a 2011, all stock. I bought it last July with 32000. Last Sept at 37000 I put Amsoil Signature 10W-40, and now at just under 41000, I'm down to 3% oil life. Beast and Amsoil say 1 yr or 10K. I'm at 4K and 9-10 months. Should I go ahead and change. Is the oil monitor acutally that, or just a mileage clock

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Oil monitor question. I have a 2011, all stock. I bought it last July with 32000. Last Sept at 37000 I put Amsoil Signature 10W-40, and now at just under 41000, I'm down to 3% oil life. Beast and Amsoil say 1 yr or 10K. I'm at 4K and 9-10 months. Should I go ahead and change. Is the oil monitor acutally that, or just a mileage clock

Wait the 1 year/15k miles or you'll be wasting your money, moniter just counts mileage/ignition cycles over time nothing more.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd change it at one year and do an oil analysis at the same time, its useful info.
-J

finally03gt

Established Member
I am editing the old recommendation list to simplify things. In a nutshell, the new list will take advantage of Amsoil's new AZF 0W-40 and AMR 5W-50 formulations. It will be simple like....

Street use, no HPDE or closed course, no matter which thermostat - AZF 0W-40
HPDE use or closed course, no matter which thermostat - AMR 5W-50
Those who use it for the street, yet lose sleep over not having Ford's SAE recommended lubricant in the engine - AMR 5W-50

AZF 0W-40 is formulated ultimately for the Challenger Hellcat and Nissan GTR. However, it's versatile to replace all 10W-30 recommendations previously given by myself for simplistic reasoning. This is a no compromise formulation, only built with top tier ingredients.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/?filters=75

Is this the recommend "azf" for street use only. Also, the EOA1 states 25000 miles. Two oil changes to one filter change?

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/oil-analysis-services/oil-analyzers-test-kit-postage-pre-paid/?code=KIT01-EA

For UOA?

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member

finally03gt

Established Member
That oil can be used for any use, street, drag or road course. Always change the filter with oil, that's the right test kit.

Thanks. I was referring to UB recommendation "Street use, no HPDE or closed course,...- AZF 0W-40" I didn't see an "AZF" but did notice the signature, that I linked, had and AZF in the part number. I think we are on the same page. Thanks again

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Signature series is the best, if you were road coursing the car on a monthly basis pushing the car to the absolute cooling limit I would do the 5w50 signature series as suggested. My guess that would be less than 1% of drivers which is why the 0w40 is the main recommendation for everything else.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
UnleashedBeast, because I don't live in the US its hard to get my hands on amsoil. So whats the second and third best brand in your opinion?
Thanx.

Users who are viewing this thread