Procharger guys

joeason1010

Banned
What I was trying to say was basically they get really wild at like 25lbs and above the front ends of cars start dancing atleast that what my brothers does.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Overall, I'm happy with my procharger. I originally bought it because it was cheaper than all the other centri kits, not to mention a turbo. Plus, it was the only one at the time that was self contained and came with a big front mount intercooler.

It sounds wild. It's got an "evil mechanical scream" at idle that turns heads. I can't really hear it when I get in the gas because of the sound of the exhaust... but the blowoff sounds good too.

As others mentioned previously in this post, centrifugals make max boost only at max RPM, so you have to be up at 3500-4000 RPM's at least to make enough boost to notice a power increase. In fact, I just took my blower off temporarily to change a pulley, and my car feels exactly the same under 3500, even when I floor it. But I definitely noticed the lack of top end power, being that it makes 150 less horsepower in that top RPM range without the blower.

But even with the blower, I'm always a little afraid to gas it and bring it up past 5000 RPM's or so... Am I going to shred a belt? Am I going to pop off a boost tube? Am I going to melt a piston? Break a half shaft? The power is just so astronomical. It's most useful in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears when you're making those long pulls in each gear.

I've been having a lot of belt and pulley issues lately though, which is really starting to frustrate me. If not perfectly aligned when mounted, the belt will "skip a rib" on the pulley and since the clearance between the pulley and the engine is so close, it'll shave that rib right off. Time for a new 114.5 inch, 45 dollar belt, which are hard to find. I always always keep a spare. Not to mention that you have to unbolt the blower to change the belt.

I've been having issues with the bolt that holds on the pulley, also. It'll back out of the threads when driving, which allows the keyway that fixes the pulley to the shaft to back out. This will let the pulley "freewheel" on the blower shaft. It doesn't do any damage to the blower shaft, but it destroys the pulley, not to mention I need to get a new bolt and keyway. Fortunately, Procharger sells pulleys that come with a new bolt, washer, and keyway. It's my own damn fault though, I never had an issue with this until I started messing with it and I took off the original pulley it came with. I guess I'll use some loctite and an impact wrench when my $100 pulley set arrives in a few days.

If I had the choice to do it all over again, I'd probably go with a turbo because they make peak boost at a lower RPM and hold it throughout the entire RPM range. Plus, you don't have to worry about stupid belt and pulley issues. But then again, turbo kits are almost twice as expensive as a procharger kit, so it'd be a tough decision. You can't beat the value of a procharger kit when compared to the others.

Homer

joeason1010

Banned
For the comment above dude if your built on the bottom end then you can turn it as hard as you want. If you are on stock rods and pistons you better be careful or the little man inside is going to want out. It's all in the tune on prochargers you can tune them to come in harder at different rpm's as long as you can give it enough fuel you should be alright.

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
I have enjoyed my ProCharger set up on my car for about two years now. I bought this whole kit for $2500 used. One buddy sold me the head unit for $1500 (he upgraded to an F1A) and my other buddy had an old kit lying around with a new ProCharger 3 core intercooler and all piping for $1000 (he went TT). So I was presented with two deals that I could not pass on. I agree with IUP99SNAKE about belts and shimming. Unfortunately like anything else there is a learning curve that will cost a little money out of pocket. I too have gone through some belts but that was because of alignment and shimming issues. Changing out the belt can be a major pain but once you do it like twice your a pro. I travel with all the tools and I keep two spare belts in the trunk. It's like anything else as long as you take care of the blower, check your belts and maintain a good oil level in the blower you will be fine. My next step is to build my bottom end and turn the boost up and really have some fun. I still average 22-25 mpg on the highway and my driveability is awesome! The other set up I would go to would be a TT!

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I feel your pain IUP99snake. But we could have a solution very soon as House of Boost is making a dedicated drive for 4v's that will hopefully eliminate belt slip and alignment issues.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
For the comment above dude if your built on the bottom end then you can turn it as hard as you want. If you are on stock rods and pistons you better be careful or the little man inside is going to want out. It's all in the tune on prochargers you can tune them to come in harder at different rpm's as long as you can give it enough fuel you should be alright.

You're right. And since I don't have forged internals, that's the main thing I'm worried about. It's happened before. It'll happen again.

A supercharger system (or a turbo) is just so complex that there are so many things to go wrong. Belt slip, thrown belts, popped off boost tubes, melted pistons, bent rods, bad gas, it's just hard to mash the throttle being 100% confident that nothing will go wrong.

But I'm spending too much time on the cons. The procharger has been excelllent. It has lasted 60,000 miles with no major issues with the blower itself. All the issues I have had are with the car, the setup, the stupidity of a tuner, or my own stupidity.

Homer

Rev_HardSVT

Midwest Mustangs
Established Member
I've thought about this route with throwing a procharger cause I know a guy who wants my stock eaton setup for his p1sc setup with a 3 core
Intercooler and his '01 cobra intake. Any thoughts about this deal? Yes or hell no?

joeason1010

Banned
I have enjoyed my ProCharger set up on my car for about two years now. I bought this whole kit for $2500 used. One buddy sold me the head unit for $1500 (he upgraded to an F1A) and my other buddy had an old kit lying around with a new ProCharger 3 core intercooler and all piping for $1000 (he went TT). So I was presented with two deals that I could not pass on. I agree with IUP99SNAKE about belts and shimming. Unfortunately like anything else there is a learning curve that will cost a little money out of pocket. I too have gone through some belts but that was because of alignment and shimming issues. Changing out the belt can be a major pain but once you do it like twice your a pro. I travel with all the tools and I keep two spare belts in the trunk. It's like anything else as long as you take care of the blower, check your belts and maintain a good oil level in the blower you will be fine. My next step is to build my bottom end and turn the boost up and really have some fun. I still average 22-25 mpg on the highway and my driveability is awesome! The other set up I would go to would be a TT!

Nice Mach man how much power did Rick get out of your P1

joeason1010

Banned
I've thought about this route with throwing a procharger cause I know a guy who wants my stock eaton setup for his p1sc setup with a 3 core
Intercooler and his '01 cobra intake. Any thoughts about this deal? Yes or hell no?

THAT WOULD BE A BIG **** YES FROM ME MAN. That's the route you wanna go, at the end of the day guys you can get better performance out of a P1 than a Ported Eaton. I would go with a Vortech or a Procharger over any blower system today. I would even go as far as saying I would go with the right size Procharger or Vortech over any Turbo setup. I have seen and worked on cars with Prochargers and Vortechs that went faster in the quarter than Turbo cars so that's just my view guys.

Rev_HardSVT

Midwest Mustangs
Established Member
I really thought about cause he has a '03 cobra bottom end with I think Mach 1 heads but I could be mistaken and the '01 intake and @12 #s he said of only made 440, but that's how he got it and he doesn't know how conservative the tune is. That's my only problem. How mich power could I make with that setup on my '03 cobra?

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I really thought about cause he has a '03 cobra bottom end with I think Mach 1 heads but I could be mistaken and the '01 intake and @12 #s he said of only made 440, but that's how he got it and he doesn't know how conservative the tune is. That's my only problem. How mich power could I make with that setup on my '03 cobra?

A P1SC with an 03 Cobra is not very impressive. But, you could sell the head unit and upgrade to an F1, then you can make 700+rwhp.

If its coming off a Mach 1 than I dont think its going to work with your 03 Cobra. The reason I say this is because the front timing covers are different. The coolant cross over may be different as well. Hopefully someone with a Procharged 03-04 Cobra will chime in. The 03 Cobra Procharger kit is vastly different than any other Cobra Procharger kit.

Now something I want to know is can you reclock the head unit on the 03-04 Cobra Procharger kit so that you can run a front mount intercooler and blower through set up running into an 01 Cobra intake?

01yellercobra

Established Member

You guys are going to have to swap more then just the intercooler and intake. You'll need to swap the timing cover, coolant crossover, and some other small parts I can't think of right now. The P1 won't really do anything for you IMO, but like what was said, you can sell the head unit or even send it in to upgrade to a D1. If you were local I'd swap my D1 set up with you.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
I've had TT's and now an F1A. Both are ridiculously fun on the street, but in terms of drivability, ease of install, room, smooth power band ...F1A hands down.

imbuggin

Established Member
I had a custom bracket made for mine. I had to. Once I got that in correct and a new belt tentioner I have had zero problems with belt slip!

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
A P1SC with an 03 Cobra is not very impressive. But, you could sell the head unit and upgrade to an F1, then you can make 700+rwhp.

If its coming off a Mach 1 than I dont think its going to work with your 03 Cobra. The reason I say this is because the front timing covers are different. The coolant cross over may be different as well. Hopefully someone with a Procharged 03-04 Cobra will chime in. The 03 Cobra Procharger kit is vastly different than any other Cobra Procharger kit.

Now something I want to know is can you reclock the head unit on the 03-04 Cobra Procharger kit so that you can run a front mount intercooler and blower through set up running into an 01 Cobra intake?

I might be able to answer the last part of your question? When I bought my P1SC-2 it came off of a 03 Cobra Motor and it was front mounted. The guy was running a Eaton on top and the ProCharger on the front trying to do the compound boost method. He decided to go another route and sold the blower to me. Because the blower head was clocked in a different position I had to re-position it back to be just like me P1SC to fit my car. So yes it can be done if that was your question?

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I might be able to answer the last part of your question? When I bought my P1SC-2 it came off of a 03 Cobra Motor and it was front mounted. The guy was running a Eaton on top and the ProCharger on the front trying to do the compound boost method. He decided to go another route and sold the blower to me. Because the blower head was clocked in a different position I had to re-position it back to be just like me P1SC to fit my car. So yes it can be done if that was your question?

The reason I ask is because the front timing covers are different between the Cobra and Mach for 03-04. I'm not sure if the bracket for the blower is different. But it sounds like you used the same bracket. Has anyone reclocked the blower in order to run a front mount and blow though set up on an 03-04 Cobra?

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
The reason I ask is because the front timing covers are different between the Cobra and Mach for 03-04. I'm not sure if the bracket for the blower is different. But it sounds like you used the same bracket. Has anyone reclocked the blower in order to run a front mount and blow though set up on an 03-04 Cobra?

Let me see if I can find the pics from when I bought my blower. I believe that guy was running that set up. I'll let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread