QUALITY customer service

corepwn

Established Member
It's not often that people make threads about the good service shops provide, but I wanted to take a moment and give an example of excellent customer service.

A few weeks ago I bought a low mile Aluminator engine from Billet Pro Shop that was posted in the FS/FT section on this forum.

I received the engine and it looked to be as described, the pistons had no carbon on them at all and looked brand new. Last weekend I finally had an opportunity to drop it into my car and fire it up. The engine cranked right over, and idled fine. Smoke from hand oils and condensation is pretty normal for a first start but after all of that burned off and several warm up/cool down cycles on the jack stands I noticed I was still getting A LOT of blowby from the PCV breathers. I didn't think this was normal as my previous engine had none. I reached out to Sylvain @ BPS and he agreed that this was not normal and asked me to do a compression test.

After determining together that there was most likely an issue with the rings, Sylvain profusely apologized and insisted that he would never have sold or sent a motor across the country that he knew had any issues. He offered to pay all costs to have it fixed locally, have his shop fix it AND pay for shipping both ways, or refund me completely so that I could buy another engine new and have it here in a matter of days.

In a time when a lot of shops would go out of there way to avoid any kind of financial loss, Billet Pro Shop has completely exceeded my expectations in an effort to make this right.

jp1seattle

Established Member
That is definitely cool.....what option are you going with? Either way I look forward to checking your car out at the track.

corepwn

Established Member
I ordered a new Aluminator today to be able to finish the car ASAP. Hopefully can still click off a 9 sec pass or two in summer weather before they boot me.

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
I can understand doing that over a spun rod bearing, or an interference issue or the like - but over rings on a used engine? Wow, great service there.

corepwn

Established Member
To be fair the engine had less than a thousand miles on it and was priced and sold as "like new". Price out costs for a rebuild due to ring/compression issues and you'll find it's just as expensive as paying for a forged short block rebuild on a stock motor.

I agree that Sylvain/BPS went over my expectations though!

jojobee

Established Member
The way it should be!

There were no other options really, imagine what it would have done to BPS reputation on SVT if he had screwed the op..!

Sylvain is local to me and a good honest guy but that wasnt good customer service in my book, that was the minimum he could do given the situation.

Last edited:

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Great news OP. Have you tried contacting Ford Racing for their warranty? I wonder if it's something they would fix on their end?

corepwn

Established Member
Great news OP. Have you tried contacting Ford Racing for their warranty? I wonder if it's something they would fix on their end?

I did not, but the warranty wouldn't transfer. However, when I spoke with the FRPP reps when ordering the new engine, they did say that if something like this happened Ford would cover it and likely the labor too (like they did during the Billet OPG fiasco).

Last edited:

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
You bought a used engine when you were a few dollars away from an unmolested new one. I know BPS is a good company and have shown you, but I would've passed on that deal.

Users who are viewing this thread