question about headers

BCPD199

Established Member
If your motor blew up with headers on it they would deny warranty work because if untuned it can missfire and run the car lean...if you tune it they will blame the tune.

I'm surprised it took 19 posts before somebody mentioned this! Of course a lot of this has to do with how mod-friendly your dealer is; but, I would bet headers would void any engine failure warranty claim. Just my .02.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I'm surprised it took 19 posts before somebody mentioned this! Of course a lot of this has to do with how mod-friendly your dealer is; but, I would bet headers would void any engine failure warranty claim. Just my .02.

There arn't very many people on here who intend to keep their warranty intact forever. There will be a few, but not many. Just about anything you do is going to require a retune these days and with that all bets are off.

BCPD199

Established Member
There arn't very many people on here who intend to keep their warranty intact forever. There will be a few, but not many. Just about anything you do is going to require a retune these days and with that all bets are off.

Agreed 100%. I was just responding to the OP's original statement of "I don't want to risk voiding the whole powertrain warranty." And by installing headers with or without a tune I believe will jeopardize his warranty.

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Where's the love for Kooks?

You can run the 1 3/4" or 7/8" Long tubes, and their new Catted H with the "GREEN" catalytic converters. With the new Green cats, no tuning required, and no CEL.

Shoot me a PM if you want to put a kit together, we'll be happy to help.

shetheri

Established Member
I am running the Kook's 1 7/8" with the green cat h-pipe and stock mufflers. I am looking to move an off road pipe due to being too quiet for my liking. Does Kook's offer an OR h-pipe for our cars or do you have to go OR x-pipe? That is the only reason I haven't yet because I am not a fan of the raspy sound.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
yes, the kooks has the green catted pipes. no issues with cel's as was stated. we have some killer pricing on all the kooks products

lngebrown

Established Member
What's wrong with the Ford racing mufflers? I put a set on so I wouldn't mess with the tune, but improve the sound and I love them. The chrome tips are much nicer than factory IMO

TORQJNKY

What's wrong with the Ford racing mufflers? I put a set on so I wouldn't mess with the tune, but improve the sound and I love them. The chrome tips are much nicer than factory IMO

Nothing wrong with them. Sound quality is very individualized. I personally don't like the way the FRPP mufflers sound at all. Nor do I like the look of the chrome tips over the stock tips. It's good to have options.

Last edited:

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
I am def considering a green cat H pipe from Kooks, ging into a catback from Stainless works. Does Kooks make a green cat H pipe that will marry up to the stock manifolds on a 2014? or can it only be used with their long tubes?

Kooks Headers

Established Member
I am running the Kook's 1 7/8" with the green cat h-pipe and stock mufflers. I am looking to move an off road pipe due to being too quiet for my liking. Does Kook's offer an OR h-pipe for our cars or do you have to go OR x-pipe? That is the only reason I haven't yet because I am not a fan of the raspy sound.

Yes we do. Check with one of our vendors on this forum for the best pricing.

Van@RevanRacing

Kooks Green Catalytic Converters are 50 State Legal? Have undergone CARB Certification with their Long Tube Header? Are legal and viable replacement for the OEM Catalytic Converter?

What was the endurance testing on the Kooks Catalytic Converter?

mwilson6192

Established Member
Kooks Green Catalytic Converters are 50 State Legal? Have undergone CARB Certification with their Long Tube Header? Are legal and viable replacement for the OEM Catalytic Converter?

Can someone please answer Van's questions?

This could change the aftermarket exhaust dynamic, and would be something I would be seriously interested in. I have opted specifically not to apply mods that fail emissions in New York State. I realize everyone's objectives are different, but I have an interest in applying mods ONLY if they will pass New York State emissions, and having a set of LT's with CARB Certified cats would be a new standard in aftermarket exhaust parts.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

They are 49 state legal, The cats are EPA certified. Exhaust is not. But with those cats, Colorado, Maine, etc... Kooks is the only aftermarket manufacturer that will pass.

Yes, the are a viable replacement for the oem converter.

As far as "endurance testing", are we talking a 1200 hp Shelby? No cat is tested like that to my knowledge, kinid of a loaded question.

Last edited:

Kooks Headers

Established Member
beefcake is correct. The GREEN cats are 49 state legal and have an EPA certification number on them.

As for endurance testing, we have these cats on cars making 900+ hp with no problems. We also have some NMRA racers running these cats on their racecars instead of off-road pipes.

Van@RevanRacing

They are 49 state legal, The cats are EPA certified. Exhaust is not.

As far as "endurance testing", are we talking a 1200 hp Shelby? No cat is tested like that to my knowledge, kinid of a loaded question.

The CATS are legal but the long tubes are not, correct? You said exhaust is not above. Trying to clarify.

I didn't say anything about 1200 HP Shelby's in relation to these catalytic converters and this discussion. Last time I mentioned anything about a 1200 Horsepower Shelby was regarding an alternator on FaceBook :shrug:

I asked about endurance testing which I will explain further in my next reply. :beer: Nothing loaded in the question whatsoever.

beefcake is correct. The GREEN cats are 49 state legal and have an EPA certification number on them.

As for endurance testing, we have these cats on cars making 900+ hp with no problems. We also have some NMRA racers running these cats on their racecars instead of off-road pipes.

My question is specific to Catalytic Converter Over Temperature Protection Strategy within the tune for GT500's and any car for that matter. Although your Catalytic Converter is certified with an EPA # what has to be done within the tune of the vehicle to properly cool the catalytic converters to prevent failure?

The OEM Converters are adjacent to the OEM exhaust manifolds. Your catalytic converters and other manufacturers are further "downstream" after the long tube collector. Even if you leave the OEM tune in the car is the OEM Catalytic Converter Protection Strategy sufficient enough with your "Green Catalytic Converters" that they are sufficiently cooled to prevent failure? If the OEM Catalytic Converter Protection strategy is not adequate enough what parameters have you determined necessary to adequately cool your catalytic converter to prevent failure?

The above questions are a direct correlation to my previous question regarding "Endurance Testing". Although you have many vehicles running them with high horsepower what kind of mileage and heat range have your catalytic converters gone through? I'm sure many people are interested in your product however failed catalytic converters can cause catastrophic engine damage and this type of information is critical to consumers IMO.

When our cars go through the CARB Certification Process the catalytic converters are thoroughly abused and tested before receiving the certification. I see you have an EPA Certification please expand on the differences between CARB and EPA Certification with relation do your catalytic converters and how that will enable customers to pass emissions testing in states like New York for example.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to your response.

Van

mwilson6192

Established Member
They are 49 state legal, The cats are EPA certified. Exhaust is not. But with those cats, Colorado, Maine, etc... Kooks is the only aftermarket manufacturer that will pass.

Yes, the are a viable replacement for the oem converter.

May I ask a clarifying question? The cats are EPA certified, but the "Exhaust is not". What exactly does this mean, in the context of passing New York State emissions?

Asked another way, would the exhaust combination of a Kooks 1-7/8 LT header; coupled with a Kooks H-pipe; coupled with the Kooks Green cats and the rest of the exhaust system remaining OEM (including the mufflers) pass New York State emissions on a 2013-2014 GT500? I'm trying to understand if the entire combination would pass emissions (and of course being from New York that is my primary concern). Having a single component being "49 state" compliant isn't helpful if any portion of an exhaust solution will not pass emissions (California exempted).

To complicate the issue a bit more, would the above combination pass 49 state emissions if combined with Van's 13-6 kit (or any other vendor equivalent) where a tune comes into play? Again, the ultimate is to have this combination and still pass emissions, because taking exhaust parts on and off to pass emissions is not a viable option for me (but it may be perfectly acceptable to others).

Thank you for providing clarity to my questions - I appreciate it!!

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Sw offers the Retro axle back kit which I ordered lastnight for my 12...sounds and looks pretty bad ass on the 13/14's too....plus u save 41lbs!!!

Autoanything.com and use coupon code first15...saved myself $133 $756 shipped for the 3" axle back kit.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I can't find the CARB EO number for these cats at the CARB website. Are they manufactured by someone else? And "Kook" (while you're on here), these are metallic substrate cats, correct? What is the cell count and how are they bonded to the stainless tube that encapsulates them?

I'm asking because historically, this type of cat has failed miserably when used behind a typical GT500. If you move them downstream of their OEM location, they may take longer to light-off and as such a check engine light may appear. I'm as curious as Van is regarding testing and answers other than "we ran it behind___________" and it did fine. In order to receive an EO approval, somebody had to provide evidence to the EPA that these cats do not degrade until a certain number of miles or years have passed, IIRC. I'd just like to know more about the specific vehicles that were used for the testing approval.

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
I'm going to stick with the stock manifolds for now, buy an off road H pipe, and have the green cats welded in place. If my exhaust shop puts them in the same spot as the OEM cats I don't think there will be any issues, but only time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread