Race Deck Vs Epoxy floor coating

canadianbullitt

Established Member
As the title says. Im debating on installing some Race Teck Tile floor or have it epoxy coated with some flecks in it.
Wondering what peoples experience with either of these systems are.
I'm in the process of building a new house and once it is done, I want to cover up the bare concrete floor with something that looks nicer. Epoxy if done correctly with some flakes, looks great. The tiles seem to be very customizable.
As of right now I would probably get the epoxy done by someone since a lot of people that do it themselves seem to get bubbling and peeling.
Either system would cost me about the same amount of money. What is your guys' preference of this stuff?
Do both if these system handle weight well? ex no cracked tile if I decide to jack up my car?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I dunno, the race deck looks cool but feels cheap to me.

Im all for Epoxy coatings, if you do the prep right you wont have any issues. Its all in the prep.

oldmodman

Established Member
If I could afford to do my garages in Racedeck I would.

Especially since they have a version that passes water so you can wash your car on it and the water will flow toward a floor drain.

That is rally convenient in a hot, dusty area.

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
Epoxy is easy enough to do yourself, as long as you follow the instructions, take your time and do it right. Even tile can look crappy if you do a crappy job. That being said, if I had the cash, I would have done tile and baseboard, but the epoxy turned out pretty nice and I did it myself.

dom418

Established Member
Since your garage floor will be new that's going to help you out. No dirt, oils etc. The main cause of peeling is poor prep. I bought the rustoleum pro kit for $99. It's lasted 7 years and is now showing signs of peeling. If I would do it over I would just pay to have a pro do it. Race deck floors are not for me.

canadianbullitt

Established Member
The nice thing with the tiles is that i can pack them up and mo e them to the next house. Also they are pretty customizable. Never seen them in person though.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
What's the price difference between race deck and the epoxy (professionally done like you said)? Like mentioned the prep is the key but that floor epoxy is only a few hundred when done by the owner (non professional).

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
My friends had the race deck done and I didn't like it at all. I wish I could use whoever coated the shop floor at work, industrial rated!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
My friends had the race deck done and I didn't like it at all. I wish I could use whoever coated the shop floor at work, industrial rated!

after all the threads Ive seen, I feel like if you actually work on your car much other than putting it on ramps for an oil change it needs to be this or youll end up doing it again.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
What's the price difference between race deck and the epoxy (professionally done like you said)? Like mentioned the prep is the key but that floor epoxy is only a few hundred when done by the owner (non professional).

Racedeck is expensive! It cost me over $2k to do my garage. Although I would go Racedeck if I had to do it again. I really do like the Racedeck. I just put wood between my jack stands and tile. No issues.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Racedeck is expensive! It cost me over $2k to do my garage. Although I would go Racedeck if I had to do it again. I really do like the Racedeck. I just put wood between my jack stands and tile. No issues.

I've read it was very $$$. Even if I had to re-epoxy every 5-6 years at $250 a pop that's a Lot of savings I'd rather throw into a nice box, running air lines, etc etc.

cjswartz1

Established Member
We had epoxy coating in our old house and it lasted us many years, I want to try Race Deck when we move in a few months. One of the tenants at one of our rental properties has the knock off tiles, but he said he really liked them and that he hasn't had many issues.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

I got both quoted back in the Spring. Race Deck was more expensive at around $1,800. for my 2-bay garage, but the epoxy quote was higher than I had hoped. And this was from a friend of mine who does it professionally. The epoxy quote, with prep of course, was around $1,000. IMO the epoxy looks a lot nicer and cleaner. And, you don't have to ever mess with damaged tiles or pull tiles to clean out the crud if you live in areas where snow will get tracked into the garage. The advantage to the Race Deck (or similar) is that you don't have to do any floor prep. Just lay the tiles.

My garage floor looks a mess because I had painted it about 10 years ago (didn't prep correctly) and within a couple of years it started to flake and get stained. Now, it's looks crappy! I may do something with it next Spring.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Epoxy on a new floor would hold up really well. I waited 9 years, and have had to do quite a bit of touch up. Damn salt.

99cobradave

Established Member
I've used two part expoxy in three garages. After 15 years, it still looks like new. It's easy and cheap. Nothing stains or soaks in and it's hard as nails. You'll need at least two coats. Be sure prep properly, and a proper prep is NOT that difficult as some might indicate.

Users who are viewing this thread